Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ARC car wash nightmare

Beefbeefbeef

Country Flag
uk
Took my car to one of these yesterday as I didn't have time to clean it at home over the weekend. The motorised "chamois" at the end of the car wash wrapped itself around the rear wheel cover and wrenched it off, ripping a whole around the lock in the centre.

Cost of new part from Toyota - £480!

I am on the warpath with "customer services" at ARC but thought it would be worth letting others know!

Most drive through washes advise you not to use them if you have a rear mounted spare, personally I'd never use one anyway. Nasty scratchy things.

I use them all the time without a problem though i was refused once in the Isle of Wight as the vendor felt my truck was too tall :icon-biggrin: . My rear spare has no tyre cover just a disc that hides the wheel . I'm sorry to say Beef i have never seen a car wash that doesn't have many signs saying the management will not be responsible for any damage or enter at your own risk and that sort of thing so i wish you luck with that .

Just thought ARC are them really long carwash things i've never actually been in one of them i was thinking of the normal drive through jobs at petrol stations .

Last edited:
Will never take my truck or any of my cars through those horrible washes, by hand or machine! They do more damage than good!

I use them all the time without a problem though i was refused once in the Isle of Wight as the vendor felt my truck was too tall :icon-biggrin: . My rear spare has no tyre cover just a disc that hides the wheel . I'm sorry to say Beef i have never seen a car wash that doesn't have many signs saying the management will not be responsible for any damage or enter at your own risk and that sort of thing so i wish you luck with that .

Just thought ARC are them really long carwash things i've never actually been in one of them i was thinking of the normal drive through jobs at petrol stations .

Having said that, the attendant had an "incident form" which he produced after a while and signed so they must have those for a reason. I have emailed that to ARC with photos. We will see what happens.

I've been to plenty of car washes and no prob. This one had long drying strips at the end of it - never seen them before - and they were the problem. I don't like the hand car washes staffed by assorted refugees though - gritty sponges etc

I think you also need to avoid motorised car washes if you have a snorkel as I think it can also get damaged by the big rotating brush that washes the windscreen.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Happy ending to all this - had an email from ARC today saying that a cheque was on its way for the full amount, which is £475! Fair enough, that is good customer service - I take my hat off!

Great news :thumbup:

Just mentioned this to Helen and she says he friend who is of a very nervous disposition lost her wipers and spoiler in an ARC wash and was more or less told off by the attendants for it . Her husband being non to pleased wrote a very aggressive letter of complaint to ARC's head office and not only were repairs paid for his wife also received a letter of apology and £250 in vouchers .

Helen's sister lost her wing mirror in the car wash at Morrison's (the one i always use) and was told by attendants they were not responsible . She didn't write to head office and got nothing .

Makes you wonder how much these places get away with just because people assume the worst and don't try to take it further .

Last edited:
Interesting you should say that because firstly the attendant tried to offer me free car washes (!) then when I refused he said he would pay me on the spot. When I phoned Toyota and got a quote (with the attendant still there) of £475 he then produced their standard claim form. So they are obviously under instruction to keep that quiet until pushed.

The good thing about the internet is that poor - or good- customer service gets publicised so I am happy to say ARC did a good job in this instance.

received a letter of apology and £250 in vouchers.
I never, wherever possible, accept vouchers for recompense, it feels like they're paying me with my own money (Money that would be spent at their business) (Unless of course I never patronised them again or the vouchers are for M&S etc) :think:

I never, wherever possible, accept vouchers for recompense, it feels like they're paying me with my own money (Money that would be spent at their business) (Unless of course I never patronised them again or the vouchers are for M&S etc) :think:

I went for a meal at quite a smart looking restaurant once, it wasn't a cheap place, but the service was lousy and the food inedible. I'm not a complaining type, but on this occasion I refused to pay for the uneaten food.

The manager was called and I explained my position. He apologized and made excuses about new staff and the chef having a nervous breakdown or some such and as compensation, he offered me a free meal!

I said that it would be enough for me to just leave without payment and the "extra" free meal was not requires (with thanks for the offer). He seemed offended by my refusal of a complementary meal.

Was he incapable of understanding the lunacy of the offer in the circumstances? :wtf::lol:

Back