Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Automatic or Manual

skipscore

Morning everybody,
Not only is this my first post here but I haven't even got a vehicle yet ! I am in the early stages of researching a 90 and have found a few which seem to be worthy contenders ! I will be using the vehicle as a general family vehicle and to battle the winter roads round us. I will also tow our 2000kg caravan and use it for organised off road as and when.
The question I have taking account of the above is......automatic or manual best ? Any other comments and general advice most welcome....

Its probably a matter of personal preference.

i prefer manual, definitely better on fuel. some of the 90's have had cylinder head problems, you must keep cooling system in tip top condition. i'd suggest that the manual places no additional load on the cooling system, whereas the auto may do so?

perhaps drive one of each and make your decision from that as well?

good luck in the search.

a very good friend has a long wheel base manual with over 200,000 miles on it. runs like a dream.

Ive got a manual because i use it for a bit of heavy towing (3.5ton trailer) which can overheat the auto box but my dads got an auto that he uses to tow his caravan & he's never had a problem, in fact he bought it new in 1999 and since then, aside from normal service items hes only had to replace the rear shocks. Its now done 160000 miles!
The auto is better off road if you haven't got a great deal of off road experience because you never lose forward momentum changing gear, i see a lot of newbie off roaders in manuals getting themselves in a mess trying to change gear up steep slopes!
The manual would be slightly more fuel efficient, my d4d manual gets 28mpg with a full roofrack & all terrains whereas my dads auto 1KZ only gets around 22mpg with road tyres & no roofrack.
Adrianr's advice of drive both is the best thing really, I think the auto is nicer to drive, my manual is a little bit agricultural!

Hi
Thanks for the reply particularly so quickly..
When you say manual gives better fuel economy what sort of figures are you talking about ? Are they any better off road ??
Thanks again.

Im not sure what the official mpg figures are for auto vs manual but i think its generally about 10% better with a manual, that does of course depend how you drive it :cool:
Ive not driven an auto 90 off road so its hard to compare the two but i had a V8 auto defender years ago and that was pretty unstoppable off road, i think the auto makes off roading a lot easier just because you dont need to worry about what gear to use theres just constant power, its difficult if you need to drop a gear going up a steep hill off road in a manual because as soon as you dip the clutch you obviously lose drive and if your not carrying enough momentum you just come to halt and then have to try and get the grip to pull away again in a lower gear.
The downside to the auto is its not as easy to engine brake so going down a steep slope your relying purely on the brakes.

Hi

Just to say thanks to the both of you for your replies. The info has been very useful. Since your replies I've looked at ads for manuals and am surprised at how scarce they are particularly if you want leather too !

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Adding to the debate - we have to compare like with like. A D4D 90 is going to be more economical than any 1KZ-TE whether manual or auto. Having had both manual and auto in the 1KZ, the auto is more economical in general. Due, I think to the different final gearing. Not due to the auto box. Sitting on the motorway in both (in std trim) the manual was generally close to a 1000rpm higher in top gear.
if you could regear a manual cheaply, it might be worth it. But I can't recall whether the different ratio is in the transfer box or main diffs.

The auto 90 is an excellent tool all round. Of course in SWB you can only get manual unless you go with an import. I don' think we have any members with a D4D 120 series SWB to give us a report, but they look great.

Now take an 80 - it's a whole different situation.

What Chris is saying is about tight.

A while ago, in a pair of diesel 120 series, which have the 1KD-FTV (D4-d ) engines.

Gary or Crispin in his 120 manual posted his rpm at 60 mph.
I did the same in my 120 auto. at 60 mph.
My rpm at 60 mph, was some thing like 300 rpm lower.

Indeed the Toyota specs for the 120 series, automatic verses the manual, gives the automatic an overall higher mpg.
Not much mind, but some thing.

Gra.

Think it was more Graham. At 60 I am revving at about 2500 IIRC.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Many thanks to you all for your help and advice. I will hopefully communicate more with you in the future after I have made my purchase ! Can't wait to get it !!!

Crispin said:
Think it was more Graham. At 60 I am revving at about 2500 IIRC.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
So much difference ???

WOW

I think 60 mph was giving some thing like 1700 rpm.
I should try to find the photos I took of the speedo and rpm.

Gra

That's 35MPH/1000RPM Gra, I would suggest thats not quite right. If anyone can come up with the right figs. I would appreciate it. You need a lot bigger engine to pull that gearing in a large 4x4 than 3L.
By the way Gra, what do you want me to do with this tank?

Regards Andy :thumbup:

I've got the official brochure from the period here somewhere, came as part of the wedge of paperwork from the previous owners when I bought mine.

I remember it stating the auto is thirstier though.

Back