Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Aux Battery set up on a V6

J66P

I have started to fit my dual batteries under the bonnet

As most that have seen under the bonnet of a 3.4 V6 there ain't much room, adding a full sequential lpg system doesn't help much either

I don't have any recent photos of the under bonnet, basically the one below is from when I first had the lpg fitted by the numpties at Hull, since then I have totally rebuilt the whole under bonnet and relocated most of the components and severely tidied the wiring and routing up.

Anyhow there are a few in Australia that have done this but given that some of the bits are in different places its quite a challenge. What I have decided to do is to fit a leisure battery in the location of the original battery and then fit the main battery in the place where the Evap canister was originally positioned. This meant relocating the evap canister on the radiator cowl, basically I removed the mounting bracket, cut it up and doctored it slightly and mounted in onto the radiator fan cowling. Then rerouted / replaced all the pipework to the canister, also had to extend the wiring for the valve that's sat on it.

Next job will be to make up a new battery tray for the original battery to fit in, once this is done the main wiring will be altered so that this battery is the main engine / car battery again.

Doesn't it sound easy, god I wish it was, I have more scratched on the back of my hands and up my arms

I will then be running battery cables to the rear where an Anderson plug will be fitted for the rear winch or rear compartment power supply, basically the rear will have power most of the time for things like inverter, fridge, compressor, etc.. and when i want the winch I will just swap the plug over, saves me having to mess about with an additional battery in t he rear or running 2 lots of cables front to back

anyhow back to what I have managed to do today

Underbonnet1.jpg

batteries in place, new battery clamp fitted, just got wiring to sort now, looks like easiest way for wiring will be to leave original as it is but run them into 2 Maxiblade fuse and run 2 new battery leads from the outlets on them. I will then run 2 battery leads to the rear and start that end

Doncaster-20130203-00309.jpg

Doncaster-20130203-00314.jpg

Nice work - look forward to seeing the completed setup. Are you making your own rear winch bumper?

I had no idea what the "evap canister" did - had to google it! :shifty:

Good shoe horning work. You are right not a lot of space in a V6 engine bay by look of the piccy

Back