Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

axle diff lock retro fit update

wayne80

Hi all, I have managed to fit the locker into the rear axle now with not very much pointing or tea for that matter from chris, thanks by the way. It was relatively a straight forward job and most of the time was spent getting those pesky split collets out of the half-shaft flanges, after it was fitted we were a bit disappointed to find that there seems to be no wiring in the loom for the rear locker however the front axle wiring plug is there. we shall be tackling the front end on saturday hopefully .If anyone has any questions or advice please reply

Wayne so far it's been plain sailing really for the 2 afternoons we've been on the job so to speak, you are right about those
little collets tho', not much room to hit with big hammer unlike tractor units and the like.
I've not kept a record of the stuff we've used at all apart from 1 can of WD40, 1 duck oil, 1 powerspray, a slitting disc,
a sack full of rags, some electricity, 41 tea bags, 1/2 a bag of sugar and 2 litres of milk.
Oh and where's the little finger gone from my best welding gloves?

Front diff on Saturday then no problem, lamb curry ok? :thumbup:

Chris5-7chev said:
Wayne so far it's been plain sailing really for the 2 afternoons we've been on the job so to speak, you are right about those
little collets tho', not much room to hit with big hammer unlike tractor units and the like.
I've not kept a record of the stuff we've used at all apart from 1 can of WD40, 1 duck oil, 1 powerspray, a slitting disc,
a sack full of rags, some electricity, 41 tea bags, 1/2 a bag of sugar and 2 litres of milk.
Oh and where's the little finger gone from my best welding gloves?

Front diff on Saturday then no problem, lamb curry ok? :thumbup:

Sounds good boys.

Keep us posted :thumbup:

If your locker for the 80 has similar wiring to the toyota e locker i retrofitted recently to my 70 then you can wire it up very simply with a dpdt switch(about £3 from maplins)to get it working for the moment.if you decide to do this i can send you the wiring diagram

Thanks for the info Rik, we've read something somewhere about these switches but it's likely to be wired up fairly close
to a factory locked version, if the ecu and rotary switch plugs are not found 'dangling' then Maplins it will be.
The front diff loom plug is there and the colours do match so does look promising. Thanks.

Hello again, the front diff is now fitted ,it was pretty straight forward the only consolation was that Chris and me looked like a pair grease monkeys by the time we were finished,cv grease has to be one of the most undesirable things on the planet (in our eyes and everywhere else ),we could have done with our own rag company by the time we had finished.I will update you when the wiring is done ,thanks Chris and shelly for the much needed food and tea.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
:lol: I know what you mean about the grease, its got to be the next worse thing to EP90 from an old axle hub reduction rebuild, Sounds like you are doing well with your project.

Dave.

I've got an Ikea washing basket in the workshop which last Wed'y was overflowing with rags which I thought would last for years, how wrong I was! At 1 stage there were 6 diffs on the floor all wrapped up in old towels, flower patterned rags and
old T shirts etc. There's also the shafts, hubs, nuts, bolts, tools etc etc, with oil and grease everywhere.
When we read these posts about swopping axles, diffs and other horrible slippy heavy oily things we probably only see a
mental picture of 'old 1 out' and 'new 1 in' job done.
At numerous stages both myself and Wayne could hardly be recognised as human beings but those locking diffs are IN...

It also ought to be mentioned that we've done a 2 1/2" lift and castor correction on another 80 alongside this diff job
so has been a busy few days.

Sounds like you have had a busy few days :thumbup:

Look forward to seing the two trucks.

So has yours had the lift chris?

What kit have you put on it?

Take it wayne is like a pig in sxxt Now :D

Karl

Yes Karl, Wayne is currently walking funny- some of his rags were green with some kind of strange yellow oval pattern on?
and yes the lift kit has gone on the red GS 24v which I am now running.

The lift was bought 6 yrs ago from pro-comp and it's lasted really well although springs were rusty so we blasted them with copper slag and resprayed em. The castor correction plates are homebrew and drop the hockey stick forward bolt an inch and a bit to give 4 degrees. There are a few other mods to brake flexy anchors and things so nothing gets stretched to destruction.

Yadda yadda yadda - nuff already with this...

Just spotted your sig line & a whole new thread is required on anything spaceframed with 5.7lit in it!!!! Many photos required too!!! :mrgreen:

Ok I'll sort it Gav, may take a day or so. The chevy was built as close to an Icelandic trialer as I could afford at the time
and will pretty well 'outclimb' any 4x4 in the mud.

Day or two is ok Chris - just don't dally any longer or there could be trouble... Ahead... Comprendez??? :lol:

So wherabouts are you kids located? Am assuming you are UK from your penchant for all things tea & onion-bargie... :mrgreen:

The boyz are near me gav.

Dont know them tho really :liar:

They have supped on my coffee a couple of times :D

Back