Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Back in Scotland after 36 Years in South Africa and looking to replace our beloved 2004 Prado VX which took us everywhere.

Grim Reaper

Country Flag
scotland
My Prado VX had 300 000km on it when I passed it on to friend and I am trying to find a LC to replace it with in this country. Can only be a high mileage vehicle to fit in my budget and I am no mechanic so I am not able to properly assess. Vehicle I have my eye on is a 2010 LC4 which has 118 000 miles on the clock. FSH from Toyota and the most recent VSR indicates some corrosion but not too serious . Apparently the aircon is a bit iffy as the piples are corroded. I see there is a thread on here about aircon issues. Corrosion is not really an issue in South Africa. No snow and no ice. Any tips most welcome or am I just buying a load of trouble for myself ?

Most vehicles that have spent their life in Scotland suffer from underbody rust due to the salt on the roads ....check very carefully underneath ....then check again.....
Newer LC's seem to suffer from rust ..... pretty badly in a lot of cases.
A/C pipes can be tricky to replace ....check on the 120 thread as they also have known issues with injectors ....
Good luck and be prepared to travel to find a good LC ....

Patience is the key when looking to buy any model of older LC. I viewed 10 LC4's before I found one I'd pull the trigger on. As Grimbo mentioned, Scotland might not be the ideal place to be looking, salt takes its toll and is especially partial to Cruisers.
FSH from Toyota doesn't mean much, when I was searching the worst one I saw was a 42k mile one owner FTSH in our village and it really wanted a full restoration underneath. The one I bought had no SH, 4 owners, been self maintained since 2011 and was a real minter with 130k.
Just shows you have to judge each one on its merits, if in doubt take a fellow member with you who knows what to look for.

A member called Stuzbot bought an inspection camera to poke down inside the chassis rails to see how good bad it was and said he had wished he had it before he got his truck so an investment of hundred or so quids could save you money on a really bad truck with hidden rust issues where the eye can't see

Welcome. I’d agree with all the above. I’d much rather find a car self maintained or by a local garage than a main stealer who doesn’t care and doesn’t do half the job. If you find anything a distance away worth posting here as someone might be local and go check it out for you.

Back