Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bad ending to my holiday week

Thanks Aaron, it was good news to me, just waiting now for them to quote me.
At least I have the switch in place and don't need to mess around with wiring up a CDL. Good luck with that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

CDL from a Toyota RAV 4 will work too Clive. I found one for about £10 IIRC on eBay.

Front Diff could be checked as well for backlash, etc ... if it's coming out?

IQ

Great news Clive, I'm glad its not as serious as first thought. :thumbup:

You mention that the shafts and cv's were replaced 7 years ago, were they genuine ones? :think:

Clive, Ive just noticed that your signature says you have ARB lockers - even better!

For the benefit of others who may find themselves in this situation and to jog my own memory as i never thought about this earlier today:

Air operated diff locks like ARB, Ashchroft and McNamara are normally wired up electrically so you cant lock the front without the rear being engaged as well. If you need to limp home on tarmac the less you have locked the better as it all creates wind up stresses across the axle or in the transfer box and props in the case of a locked centre diff. However if you swap the air lines around you can use the rear switch to engage the front air locker and drive home in high range with an open centre diff. No front to back wind up and none across the front axle as you only have one wheel driving. The rear diff would be open in this scenario as normal.

Ten second bodge!

Clive, Ive just noticed that your signature says you have ARB lockers - even better!

For the benefit of others who may find themselves in this situation and to jog my own memory as i never thought about this earlier today:

Air operated diff locks like ARB, Ashchroft and McNamara are normally wired up electrically so you cant lock the front without the rear being engaged as well. If you need to limp home on tarmac the less you have locked the better as it all creates wind up stresses across the axle or in the transfer box and props in the case of a locked centre diff. However if you swap the air lines around you can use the rear switch to engage the front air locker and drive home in high range with an open centre diff. No front to back wind up and none across the front axle as you only have one wheel driving. The rear diff would be open in this scenario as normal.

Ten second bodge!

I've always been of the impression that locking a diff and driving with a broken CV/shaft isnt a good idea as you've still got some bits of broken metal turning and that can result in further damage. :?

Very true - if it sounds bad it is bad but sometimes you wouldnt notice if it wasnt for tbe lack of drive.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just for clarity pberrey, I have OEM factory (electric) lockers.

Had I known I had a broken driveshaft, I wouldn't have driven the truck home!

They have inspected everything and I'm lucky, there appears to be no damage caused to the diff (from shrapnel).

They do recommend me changing the other driveshaft as well, because there's some damage to that (I don't know what at this stage).

All in, I'm going to have new driveshafts, wheel bearings, (maybe CVs they called something "outer shafts"), swivel bearings, brake discs, pads, oil seals, wipe seals, new oil, grease etc. etc. including labour for appx 1,800 GBP

Sounds good to me...:icon-biggrin:

Well I hadn't understood the quotation very well, in my rush to report. Here's a more considered translation...

New RHS Driveshaft, new CVs (but not wheel bearings), new swivels, discs and pads, and the usual rest...

LC Repair.PNG

Last edited:
OEM CV's this time Clive?

IQ

I truly hope so, at that price!

The CVs fitted 7 years ago were very cheap, but they've held up well. I haven't abused them but they've had some hard work to do.

I thought that was cheap for Toyota cv's, a lot less than I was quoted here a year or 2 ago!!

andy

ps, also like the labour charges!

... yeh I have a couple due to go in soon, not many people opt for OEM CV's. HDK being the common choice, with good and bad experiences.
For an overlanding rig I think it's a safe choice, let's hope the return matches the price!

Last edited:
Andy IIRC UK dealers will want 800ish for one CV. Even the guy at the counter couldn't believe it.

Andy & ajnabi...

I don't know what make these will be. They are not cheap, but as you have said, not Mr T prices.

I'm interested what make they will be and can't find out till Monday. :think:

Yep, less than 300 quid labour for a front axle strip down and rebuild and the brake disc replacements can't be bad, can it! :dance:

Last edited:
Clive, I got mine around the same price, from abroad, so they very well may be OEM. That's what I was thinking anyway.

​IQ

I've just been informed of "good news" and "bad news". :?

Of course I asked for the bad news first and that was the driveshaft and the CVs would not be delivered before September :shock:.

However, the good news was that they have in stock a pair of driveshafts and CVs imported from the USA, chromoloy high strength competition components from a company called "Nitro Gear". The price is about 200 Euro more than he previously quoted but as well as the stronger components, I also get a replacement LH shaft in the same quality.

Has anyone heard of "Nitro Gear"? http://www.nitro-gear.com/ ... and in particular bad things about them?

Good stuff - the Americans seem to give them plenty of grief.

Back