Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Baltic Circle 2016; Bit more than a day out.

Bit late to this thread - what a great trip Chris, glad to see you and your family are enjoying it and all that prep you put in, now in action. Enjoy!

Please keep the commentary and pics coming.

I've been to Sweden before and I recall thinking man what a boring place
Well I'm really sorry to diss the place but jeez it really is boring
It it beautiful yes but it's so flat that you just don't get any vistas. Just mile after mile of motorway and trees. Now don't get me wrong I'm having a good time but the motorways are mindless. The speed limit is up and down all the time and it goes from two to one lane every mile or so and people just won't get past. I swear the total income from speed cameras in Sweden last year totalled £0.47p. I've even overtaken a Ferrari and nearly run into the back of a Beemer doing 40 mph in an 80 zone. Now take to the side roads and it's heaven
Beautiful sweeping forest dirt roads through the trees. Fantastic but boy it's a long country and we won't hit Finland till tomorrow
Still not seen an Elk which is a must for me. Booze not run out and water tanks still well filled. Trailer is a wonder frankly and not only tows well but just functions superbly. Very little I'd change so far.
Got full Foxwing set up on tonight with trailer under one side. We're expecting rain.
CTEK gave some issues before we left but I disconnected one wire and suddenly it seemed fine. It was banging in 40 amps this morning.
It's a heck of a trip and were committed to the full circle but this leg is tough.
Good news is the the most we've paid for fuel is £1.11 since leaving uk. Lowest has been 74 pence and the truck is averaging 19 mpg which I think is staggering given we're three up, fully loaded and a trailer on the back.

So that's it for now really not much to say or show. I kinda thought it would be smaller roads with more interesting stops but it's not. Not in Sweden anyway. But tomorrow we round the bend and into Finland which means I get to put another sticker on the trailer!

I can't get multiple pics to load in the right order either Chris.

Still, pics are pics so keep 'em commin' please.

Like the axe re-grind... :thumbup:

Well still didn't manage to get away before 9 this morning
Odd because I'm up and showered by 7 every day
Just can't out why it takes s further two hours,,,,,,,,,
Had a cracking drive this morning though good speed good road no traffic even saw an Elk in a field
So we're now parked at IKEA on the Finland border yes IKEA
Daughter wanted to go to a Swedish one to see if it was the same inside
I'll leave it at that but next stop border control

Keeps saying rain but yet again it's warm and sunny.
image.jpg

IKEA :obscene-buttsway:

Still, you got to visit your axe shop after all...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good progress, pretty far north now. Are you going to head a tiny bit further to cross the arctic circle ?

One of your rules of the trip in first post was to not be away before 9am :)

Well spotted Andy, item 1 in fact on the itemised list of items:clap:
I was thinking 09:00 sounds pretty good when yer on yer 'ollidays.:lol:

Some nice driving in Sweden today through proper forests
Was going to wild camp but that's easier said than done so we're on another very nice camp site
Expecting mossies so we have gone with the full NBC set up tonight
I know what you mean, struggled in norway to wild camp although we didnt get any where like as far north as we wanted due to weather. Scotland is still the best and easyiest wild camping for us so far.
great trip, look forward to seeing the pics

Just wrote long reply and lost the lot

Bugger

Drove 365 hard miles yesterday due south
Sounds mad but it got us from under some dreadful weather
It thundered and hammered down in the night but magically all dry this morning

No we couldn't get into the Arctic Circle though I'd dearly loved to have done.
The wild camping idea just hasn't really panned out
Trying to find the right spot at the right time isn't easy and to be frank when we've found somewhere isolated it looked like a local dogging hot spot
Do today we're in Turku for some sightseeing then onto Helsinki.
Here's today's campsite. Nice pizza for 9 Euros but 330ml beer for 6 Euros? Are you kidding?
Finland very expensive but not prohibitive and with fuel at £0.95 per lit nothing like as costly as we'd feared

image.jpeg

Reached Uncle's last night
Man o man. It's paradise
I'll post more later but alli can say for now is that i don't want to leave

My sis-in-law is Finnish, her home 'town' is above the circle. She's been in the UK for 30 years but misses the snow. At her place there's snow 10 months of the year. Her family are foresters and they live in the forest, in a wooden house built by her grandfather and extended by her father, complete with a sauna 'cottage' and the lads drive onto the iced over local lake and cut holes in the ice with chainsaws to fish.

Excellent - sounds like a great place. Full of axes, chainsaws and fridge full of cold beer ?

Did you get to see an elk?:)...I'm inFinnland since this morning and they're all over the place past the arctic circle. I'm in Saariselka and you can even see some in town. I also find Sweden boring after the third day.
Have fun!:)

So we're on the ferry to Tallinn now. It's rammed with foot passengers but not that many cars
So next stop Estonia.
Only fault so far has been broken indicator wire in tow plug
Found a shop locally yesterday called Motopoint.
Cross between Halfords, Claas Olsen and Machine Mart. Magic. Bought loads including some decent metal 12N plugs
All desired and soldered in the sunshine. Uncle has been ramping up the sauna temperature all weekend
Went in last night to 101 C. No not joking. It is was like being trapped in a burning building. Absolutely insane. You couldn't even touch the door handle to get out
Spent the afternoon fishing with some new lures. Taught daughter to cast in 10 secs flat, absolute natural. Never snagged once. However we didn't catch a thing either.

Back