Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Batteries - which ones are best value/quality

paulnanrod

Country Flag
great_britain
After asking about clips for the door trim, my car has decided it wants more work doing on it…it wouldn’t start this morning and green flag’s agent said it was one of the batteries, as it jump started fine and the alternator was reconditioned last Jan. He advised to get the pair checked and replace the knackered one.

From what I understand if I’m replacing one, then its best to do both, and they aren’t a matching pair from when I bought it.

There’s been tell tale signs that one/Both are going as it took a bit to turn over when not run for a few days and 2nd start would light up on the mornings of the days it struggled

What is the best quality and value pair to buy, or just the best quality if cheap is crap?

I replaced mine with ones from Toyota which were reasonably priced. I would prob go with Varta should I need to do so again.

Sorry don't have part numbers

No problem about part numbers.

thanks for the help - was just after guidance and experience from people that have bought recently

I've usually bought Toyota batteries - which have been good VFM. I believe these are rebranded Yuasa ones (?)

Have had a few Varta/Bosch ones which have been good too.

Most recently bought Yuasa ones (slightly higher CCA than OEM) for both our LC and Yaris, which have been fine despite not getting used as regularly post pandemic. Bought them from Yuasa direct via Amazon, so hopefully won't have any issues if I have to claim on the 5 year guarantee (not that I have ever done so previously).

Add : just checked and both are Yuasa 5000 series "Silver" batteries.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've got Yuasa silver 5000's on mine - HSB334 and HSB335. Got them in Halfords, always found them quite good for batteries!

Just stating the obvious, but make sure your battery terminals, connections and cables are all good.

You should be able to start the car with just one battery (by disconnecting the other one) to check the wiring OK on both sides. (Be careful you don't cause a short circuit with the 'unused' +ve wire though).

The earth cable on my drivers side battery was corroded and the car wouldn't start on just that battery!

That big stick of liquorice was something else Karl, never seen anything as bad as that..

Hi Paul I bought mine from MrT the price was about the same and i didn't have to start crying for a discount, i like the Yuasa batteries i use them on me motorbike and the wife's car with no issues, you might have to reset all the widows once you have taken a battery off

If you buy from Mr T, fit them yourself, they charged the previous owner some £50 to fit the ones on mine.
Been on a good 5 years now...edit over 6 years, how time flies...never had an issue, even when (the lack of ignition light) unnoticed by me the alternator had failed, vehicle never actually failed to start despite getting slower to turn over.

Yuasa Silvers you get a 5 year warranty on, i suspect Mr T's wouldn't be that long but happy to be corrected.
Tayna take some beating on price and delivery.

Went to start it thismorning and sure enough won't turn over enough to start, to be fair its not had much use or a decent run for a while.
However, second time this year, when i picked it up from the aircon shop couple of months ago it was flat then, once i'll forgive (and the lads might have been enjoying my extensive Alice Cooper collection in the multi changer) but twice is once too many.

Getting the standard 260mm long ones that fit correctly in the shaped holders, as they've always coped fine.
For anyone else's benefit, its not easy to find the shorter batteries being listed as correct for 120's on many battery shop menus, probably because in rest of the world our models are Prados not LC's, codes for the 260mm length batteries are 068 and 069.
Yuasa part numbers are YBX5068 and 5069, if you prefer Exide (trying those this time) EA754 and 755, incl delivery £154 the pair.

Struggled to pay till realised the credit card had expired :whistle: and no new one has appeared (waiting for call back for that) and PP came up with a higher figure for some reason (will shut that account anyway for their woke bile) so rang Tayna and they sent me an invoice and paid by transfer.

Gotta have good batts when out at your time of morning Juddian.
As Karl, agree good price, I paid a bit more than that 2/3 years ago for a pair of Varta' s from Tayna - always good there.
I think some of the supply problems with these batteries are the size you mentioned and reversed terminals needed, not too many manufacturer/suppliers.
I got 2 gert bigguns on mine, in capacity and size.

To be fair given their extra performance the 306mm long ones are better value £ per amp, but i know from you lads its a tight squeeze one side at least getting the bigguns in, hence why i've gone for same size replacements.
Card wise dunno what happened to the replacement they sent out but its now cancelled and another one on its way, no suspicious activity.

Last edited:
Agree, Juddian, they are a tight fit, but do give enough clearance on hoses etc. Trevor put me on to those.
They obviously overhang the battery trays slightly lengthwise, and there is a bit of lip all around which stops an oversize battery sitting flat, so a couple of bits of s/s sheet cut slightly larger than batteries and placed on the battery trays, did the trick and supports all the batteries base.
I did think of bolting the plates to the trays with c/s bolts, but all clamped up sensibly, nothing moves.

Good news with the card, until you have confirmation/is sorted, always doubt.

Tayna spot on as usual, paid the basic delivery charge, ordered yesterday lunchtime and they turned up at 10.45 today via DHL with 1 hour time slot, very well packed, stickers on them to remind one to remove the travel plugs...heard a hiss of air when removing the first plug on each so they do work...all good now.

Just to double check all connections were good, test started the engine with one battery at a time connected, noticeably slower than with two but started ok, i bet the 306mm ones would have passed that test easier, its getting a 100 mile run out tomorrow which should see them fully topped up.

Back