Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Benefits and Concerns with a 120

Nick, have you adjusted your mileage for the larger tyres? If your tyres are 5% bigger (circumference) then you're doing an additional 5% more miles than your odometer is telling you. Not sure that gets you from 21 to 24 mpg but it might explain part of the difference :whistle:

Thats exactly why I have just done a careful mileage comparison between the trip odometer & Garmin's sat naf mileage - over 30 miles out based on 400 miles on the GPS vs the odometer...

AFAIK gps isn't particularly accurate for trip distance measurement and the further you go the less accurate it will get :) How does your 90 do for mpg when towing Gav?

Really?? So I could be getting better mpg then Jon??? :lol: I'd better get that black box project finished & fitted eh... :oops:

I did note some miles vs fuel used from our summer tow - lemme see if I can find them... Be right back

Right, I was getting just over 20mpg with the Elddiss Avante 556 on the back with the six of us in the truck & the van loaded with food, clothes & bikes on a mix of dual carriageway, A-roads, B-roads & beyond. 306 miles on 68.65 litres (15.1 gallons) were my figures. There were a couple of days pootling about with out the 'van in in there too so you could probably knock that down a wee bit for a more honest towing figure... :ugeek:

Also in the mix, Tonka rolls on 275/70/16 BFG ATs which are a tad oversized - I think they are 80 series standard size tyres... I can't recall the standard Collie size tyre - 265/60/16???

I need to use Tonka to & from work for a few days to get a handle on what he'll do in commuter trim rather than the urban trudge that he usually gets treated to... Plus Pol drives him like a maniac... :lol:

Some good points once again, my KM2s are 255/85/16 and I think my old tyres were 285/70/16.
My speedo is now abviously out Vs the sat nag, when I'm doing 60mph on the sat nag the speeedo now reads about 63mph, previously it was around 57mph, (any mathmaticians out there to do the sums ?)
And sorry to say that since I first bought a 4x4 I do drive like miss daisy, when I bought my old pajero it was the first diesel I'd owned and had always heard stories of excellent consumption so the first weekend of ownership I went to my brother in laws in Dorset and kept it about 85-90mph, I nearly shat myself when I realised how little mpg's I got :lol: :oops: :oops:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I honestly would have though the 120 series with the d4d injection system would have been a lot more fuel efficient than the 90 series normal 1kzte engine..... dont you think?

But then again it is a lot more of a powerful engine :think:

Im getting an average of 25 mpg on my colorado through town driving, about 22mpg when towing my car transporter with my supra (properly about 2.6 ton in total), and on long journeys I can manage 28/29 sticking to 75-80 mph. Also gave it an oil change recently and seems to be getting just that little bit more off the tank.

ive kept a record of fuel use and where i got it, and i have seen no difference at all between supermarkert and shell/BP fuel

at 80mph in France i still managed to get 27mpg and that was with 3 in the car and a load of luggage and i run with 265/70/17 all terrains so towing i would expect at least low 20's

are you sure you haven't got a seized brake caliper :?:

Joe

BIG clean GREEN said:
Beau, I hope to god you've a D4D or I'm hitting the bottle (again) :lol:

:lol: nope, just the regular 1kzte engine! :clap: To be honest if I drive like an old lady on the motorway I can get 33 mpg, but wheres the fun in that!

Recently on my road trip through europe I average 28 mpg, with 6 people in the car, pretty much packed at the back. Stuck to about 75, and the occasional 80+ but this was pretty much 99% motorway.

And im running 295 45 20 which is pretty much the standard circumference.

Does anyone else find that when driving at around 70 and approaching long hills ect that you tend to drop back in speed more, than if you were to drive about 85 the car seems a lot more happier with the higher revs and doesnt struggle as much, in fact it properly only drops couple miles. I noticed this a lot when driving through Europe. Also I found once you go past around 80+ mph your fuel economy pretty much doest change. I managed 450 miles on a beautiful stretch of motorway in Italy doing 85-90 mph (and the occasional 100)....Not bad I guess!

Yea, brakes are good, I serviced the calipers last year using a kit from Ian Rubie, it's worth checking them again I suppose but they feel good with no pulling or juddering !

Beau, what year is your LC and which box do you have in it ? those figures are unbelievable !

Nice to know you can manage some jobs yerself there Nick. :cool:

Not at work today? I dunno, life of Riley. Any jobs going?

Actually on that, remind your Lass that my Gert is still looking.

C

Have reminded her and newt at the moment other than filling on nights ! I'm on lates, so don't leave till 12.30 !

This is interesting, just getting back to speedo inaccuracies here :)

I'm as Nick also running with 255/85/16 KM2's (just over 33" in diameter) and my speedo is now absolutely bang on accurate :D :thumbup:

Before this it was reading prety much, well maybe a smidge under +10% inaccurate (running with 265/75/16's tyres that are +1" in diameter over standard fitment tyres of 265/70/16) , so if my indicated speed was 55mph I was actually doing 50mph :| But as I say now that I have my larger diameter KM2's fitted my indicated speed is bang on the money :thumbup:

Would this +10% inaccuracy not also transmit to the odometer :?: :!: :think: If so then how accurate are MPG calcs when using standard sized tyres :?:

I've always assumed that on the more modern vehicles with electronic speed sensing rather than a cable, the ODO reads correctly even though the speed is always exaggerated in standard spec and that if you get the speedo to read more or less accurately then the ODO will be out and need correcting by (in Steven's case) + 10% .

So :think: If we (Nick & Myself) had accurate odometers prior to fitting our 255/85/16 KM2's our odometers are in fact now reading with a 10% inacuracy, is this correct? So is this error plus or minus? If I drive an indicated distance of 100miles have I actually done 90 or 110 roughly? I need to go away to a dark quite room to think about this :D I wonder how this error effects my latest fuel consumption calcs with the KM2's of 16mpg off road & 20mpg on road :think:

Can I ask at this point (as I don't know) is the error in the speedo, the same as in the odometer. Just asking. Obvious answer is 'well of course' but if the speedo varied but somehow the odo didn't change then any figures would be duff on that basis. I drive up to Scotland and I know that it is exactly 200 miles from my house to Colin Services. But regardless of this, whatever the recorded miles, it's the same route every time as I haven't moved and neither has the Shell garage. All I look at is how many litres it took me to get there; it's a standard. And quite depressing :cry: I miss my 120!

Only asking.

Chris

So before KM2's fitted with truck pretty much standard trim my speedo was reading +10% & my odometer we are assuming was accurate. So now I've fitted the over sized KM2's my speedo is reading correctly so now in effect -10%ish and this must mean that my odometer is now reading -10%!!! Is this correct?! As for each revolution of the wheel I'm now travelling further due to the increase in diameter of the tyre, but for each revolution of the wheel my odometer is still assuming that I have traveled the factory calibrated distance for that revolution :think: :think: :? :think: Ah, so hang on a mo' I'm actually travelling further in terms of distance than indicated assuming that my odometer was accurate in the first instance :D So this must mean that when I did my resent fuel calcs using my odometer readings with my new KM2's fitted I'd actually gone further than I thought (roughly 10%) so this would give me new figures of..............hang on what were my original accurate figures :?:

sae70 said:
Just worked out all of my mpg's associated with my rescent trip to Wales a total of 643miles :)

Local driving the day before going 19.27mpg

Journey to wales A12, M25, M4 bla bla bla 228miles @ motorway speeds :whistle: 19.57mpg

A days laning on Saturday 50/50 lanes & tarmac, lots of low range 99mile round trip 16.78mpg

A days laning on Sunday simular to Saturday 112miles 18.92mpg

Fast journey home from Wales @ motorway speeds :whistle: 19.16mpg
Ah right so the average of all the tarmac driving is 19.33mpg so 19.33x1.1=21.26mpg :D I can live with this as I don't hang about :lol: ;) and just to complete this then the off road element now comes to 19.64mpg :thumbup:

I also worked fuel consumption before I modded Fiery (fitted the KM2's, sliders, draw system etc) and on tarmac she was giving 24mpg :)

I hope this info helps you Nick with your thought process as it now all makes alot more sense to me, assuming my thought process is correct :oops: :lol: :)

Back