Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Best tool ever?

Roger

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Just reading the thread on trailer fog lights reminded me how easy any electrical work has become since I bought a power probe (pic below) a few years back, it allows me to keep the smoke in the wires (most of the time!) - its proven itself time and time again.

For those that dont know what one is, essentially is hooks onto the vehicles battery and then gives you the ability to touch a terminal and it will read voltage, or tell you its an earth, you can press a button and add power (or negative) - brilliant for testing relays, working out what a dash wire does etc.

power probe.jpg

So my question is, what have others found makes them look a bit more competent than they should really look?

Moving up the high tech ladder, I found a kitchen fork handy to hold the spring retainers up when doing the handbrake shoes.:) I’ve also got an old Sykes drop arm puller (for a 60s Transit I think) that’s got me out of ball joint grief many a time.

I like the sound of that probe doofah, much easier than a long bit of wire with a croc clip and a multimeter!

Best tool in my box now is a debit card :eusa-shhh:

It doesn't make me look competent but when i seen a set of these on a shelf recently i had to buy them as i realized my old ones which came from i know not where have been trimmed with a grinder , bent and straightened , burnt with a welder and god only knows what else and they have to be the most used item of all my tools . I always thought of them as plumbers pliers and i'm still not sure what they are called .

1435741619260?$imageMainRetina$.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Milwaukee impact wrench and grinder are up there for sure. I have a power probe too and they are brilliant. Irwin stud and bolt removers have to be a life saver no question. Yes I think on balance they might just be top of the charts. Unless I think of something else.

Lathe, miller, welder, plasma, lump hammer ........

Power probe is a great tool, it's rare I use mine as prefer the multimeter tbh.

Apart from the usual tools an extra long handled 12mmx14mm spanner is great for working on jap stuff, especially prop shaft bolts!
image_zps1em6h2rr.gif

Aren't those things called aircraft spanners or something? They aren't just 'long' spanners.

might be, im not familiar with the aviation industry to be honest Chris.

Call me weak but another thing I use all the time to get more leaverage on bolts is a 1/2" drive long handled flex ratchet, makes light work of any bolt

image_zpstt1wqs8f.jpe

RL12 - I bought a Halfords flex head ratchet spanner about 5 years ago - its my go to ratchet as well. I bought it to replace a standard 3/8" drive I lost.

Good value at £22 with spare wobble bar extensions and lifetime guarantee etc.

168443.jpg

I used to own a Discovery, therefore, this is my favourite tool is Plusgas.

g33532_cmyk.jpg

plumbers pliers

When I was a young engineer my favorite tool was very similar, we used to call them "footprints" I could never find a pair when I wanted one yrs later, so I asked an old plumber mate of mine what the best alternative was, they're pump pliers as rich says but mine will be forever called Rothenburgers :)

Footprint is the makers name, adjustable by moving a knurled screw in pin along a series of holes. Still got some old ones here, I think you can still buy them, very handy.

These ratchet spanners are up there with me, can be a life saver some times!

upload_2016-10-12_10-28-0.jpeg

Agreed Beau, I couldn't live without them.

It doesn't make me look competent but when i seen a set of these on a shelf recently i had to buy them as i realized my old ones which came from i know not where have been trimmed with a grinder , bent and straightened , burnt with a welder and god only knows what else and they have to be the most used item of all my tools . I always thought of them as plumbers pliers and i'm still not sure what they are called .

View attachment 107883
We call them grips.

Not a tool as such, and pretty specific in use, but I used cable pulling lubricant the other day (Ohh Matron!!) on some data cables I was struggling to get into a tube set in a floor. Without it, I got the cables about 3 metres into the 8m run before it pulled off and that was with one pulling and one pushing.

Got the lube on and it was a revelation! No pushing, cos you can't while you're slathering on something that has the look and consistency of scrambled egg. Flew through the tube dead easy.

I know it's not got much relevance here but it was one of those 'why didn't I use this before' times as the difference was like trying to push an 80 to pushing a matchbox car.

Had to share :shifty:

Last edited:
http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?id=20&method=mViewProduct&productid=10902

Sealey Lock On Sockets. Best buy ever. They are a copy of snap on or mac but the sealey premier range has a lifetime warranty. I paid £20. They have groves cut in the corners of the hex and can grip pretty much onto anything. I buggered a thread on a stud the other day and put one of the 8mm sockets on it and it pulled it right out

Back