Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Best tools on a budget...?

Lorin

Its about time I learnt/practiced some of the more common and simple jobs on the truck, so I need to buy some tools :think: Now I'm no mechanic so the tools do not have to be the best there is and funds are tight. However, they will likely form the toolkit that comes on my travels so they need to be of reasonable qualilty and I have NO patience with s*#t equipment that just breaks, makes things harder, or works once or not at all :evil:

I have absolutely no idea about which brands are good beyond Silverline likely being pretty crap and Snapon probably being pretty good. So my question is what brands offer the best value for money? And, where would be best to buy them?

The bits I need to buy first are tap and dies, screw extractors, metal drill bits, and a centre punch (seeing as every friggin bolt I touch either sheers, knackers the thread, or disintigrates in a cloud of rust :doh: :evil: ). I will then slowly build up a kit to include the relevant sockets, spanners, screwdrivers etc as my cheap ones break.

Although like most |I would life a toolbox full of Snapon tools, that is not going to hasppen. I now buy the Halfords professional range. Not too expensive but reasonable quality.

The best bit is that they come with a lifetime guarantee so if anything breaks you take it straight back (even without receipt) and they give you a new bit there and then.

As for consumable items, drill bits etc, I bought the last lot from B&Q, but the quality was crap, so I would not recommend those!

Back in medieval times when I started work as an apprentice, I was told by the first tradesman I worked with "Never scrimp on buying tools, they will pay for themselves in the long run by not having to be replaced, buy one tool a week and make it the best" and I still have some of those tools now and I'm 68 and long retired. :character-oldtimer: So Lorin, cheap tools are false economy. Snap on are maybe the best, but there are many other good brands, Halfords Professional range are very good and I think have a lifetime warranty, I haven't had one break yet. :thumbup: I'm sure others will expand on this topic.

Halfords Proffesional range are pretty good,

Yep, another vote for the Halfrauds range. Daft I know but they are pretty good. Actually I recently bought a set just for the truck and I got a B&Q set made by Magnesson or something Scandinavian and they have taken some real abuse. Very very good indeed.

If you go for the Halfwits stuff, then pick up a couple of their black, six sided impact sockets too. I'd say 12, 14, 17 and 19. When you get something suborn and a bit worn, the 6 sided sockets grab a bit better and are less prone to twisting off.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cossack said:
Back in medieval times when I started work as an apprentice, I was told by the first tradesman I worked with "Never scrimp on buying tools, they will pay for themselves in the long run by not having to be replaced, buy one tool a week and make it the best" and I still have some of those tools now and I'm 68 and long retired. :character-oldtimer: So Lorin, cheap tools are false economy. Snap on are maybe the best, but there are many other good brands, Halfords Professional range are very good and I think have a lifetime warranty, I haven't had one break yet. :thumbup: I'm sure others will expand on this topic.
I agree entirley,

I also have loads of tools and socket sets from my apprentice days.
Fortunatly, the company I worked for, would cover 50% cost of the apprentice tools.
We had all the best tools in the workshop.
Sure some get borrowed on a non return basis, but thats the way some people are.

G.

J66P said:
Halfords Proffesional range are pretty good,

agreed. i've got a couple of their sets. my 1/4" ratchet has been playing up (sticking), so i took it back yesterday. the manager said the ratchet isn't covered by the lifetime warranty, but when i explained it had not had much use he swapped it as a gesture of goodwill.

Bloomin eck an actual consensus :shock:

Halfrauds professional it is. Thanks for the advice :thumbup:

I have some Snap on gear from when in the trade, but these days I buy Halfrauds stuff, it's good quality and a lot cheaper, even more cheaper if you get a Halfrauds trade card, easy to get if you show them a load of parts invoices or City & Guilds certificate.

Most of my tools have been from Halfords - the best items have been their torque wrenches (I have all 3) and flex-head spanners, but my 1/2" ratchet has recently died. My 1/2" sockets are the six sided ones from Smoos and I have been very happy with them - these have taken a fair bit of punishment getting bolts/nuts unstuck on the truck.

Halfords :D :thumbup:

I have piles of tools :roll: Socket sets comeing out of me ears :lol: But I bought me one of these sets http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165572 about three maybe four years ago & with just a few additions & a couple of replacements its now prety much all I use & is what I carry @ all times :D :thumbup:

PB140060.jpg

PC110156.jpg

ive got a few of the halfords professional tools socket sets and ive not been very impressed with them as the ratchets keep playing up. :thumbdown:

ive tried taking them back a few times but i always get told the same thing, that the guarantee doesnt cover moving parts.

i guess if i was to snap the ratchet clean in half (in a vice with a big hammer) then they would replace it. :lol:

this is one of the sets ive got from them:-

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165572

my halfrauds ratchet spanners are no better. :thumbdown:

there other tools seem to be good, but i cant recommend there ratchets or ratchet spanners.

my favourite brand for ratchets and spanners is kamasa. :thumbup:

Check out Ebay for good used tools such as, Britool, Blue Point, Facom, Bergen, Snap on (expensive but sometimes you can be lucky, until you lose it) Some of the Draper stuff is ok, My favourite for value & longevity has to be the same as Ben's Kamasa they sure can take a pounding, I would suggest torque wrenches are only purchased new with a test certificate.

Dave Docwra said:
Check out Ebay for good used tools such as, Britool, Blue Point, Facom, Bergen, Snap on (expensive but sometimes you can be lucky, until you lose it) Some of the Draper stuff is ok, My favourite for value & longevity has to be the same as Ben's Kamasa they sure can take a pounding, I would suggest torque wrenches are only purchased new with a test certificate.

I picked up a new 1/2" snapon ratchet on ebay for £40 (delivered) last night. This will be my first snapon product.

ive got a few of the halfords professional tools socket sets and ive not been very impressed with them as the ratchets keep playing up.

I bought the professional series ratchet spanner set, and have had no probs at all in the two years they have been in my toolbox, and I use them nearly every day as a patrolman, out on the road.

One brand not mentioned is Teng - they too have a lifetime guarantee. I have quite a few items from them in my toolbox & have never had any problems with them :cool:

I also have found the halfords ratchets problematic until I started to open them up on a regular basis to put a little grease in there and they are perfect now. Also I have a 6 sided sokcet 1/2" socket set as the bi-hex halfords sockets were constantly rounding off bolts.

I too would say teng stuff I have loads of it, I bought a 3/8 set when they first appeared, it was used and abused for the best part of 20 years until one of my apprences left it "somewhere" :evil:

I've got a set of halfrauds ratchet spanners and find them very good - equal to my signet ones

I had a couple of bacho socket sets given to me last year I'm very impressed with them and I don't think their expensive to buy.

Tape and dies wise don't buy any other than quality branded stuff, and remember mr Toyota didn't use course threads and there is more than one metric fine....

Also as others have said 6 side sockets are best on rusty nuts, skill is to undo it without breaking it!

One note on ratchets, like any moving part lubrication is the key to last longer

Back