Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Big end shell replacement

BEBs changed - picked up a little on piston one else looked pretty good for 180k. Still ticking though :icon-cry: - oh well, at least thats the BEBs done!!!!

on the 12V engines do the BEB, some are recommending checking them every 100K - 150K.
i have yet to see any where on the ACL bearings.
i have changed a number of these out now and most were fine but some were bad to terrible.
had one guy tell me that he wasn't concerned with the BEB "myth", a year later he had a dead block and sold a really nice HDJ81 for parts.

as stated before in this thread, cheap insurance.

lithium grease works very well when installing the bearings.

dont wait

just in case there is anybody out there with a 12v who like me has also put of doing this job - don't.
I recently got round to doing the BEB's, 185k miles and running sweat as you like.

I was cursing myself for listening to rumors and getting into this filthy job as all my shells came out looking like new, hardly any marks - until I pulled #3 and there I had a good size crater in the middle of the top shell.

Hard to tell from the crap image but the crater was well deep...

3T.jpg

I'm one of the rare cases that are in Japan and have changed the BEBs. No one that I know of or have heard of have done them here. Anyway, I did mine last month at 210k kms and they had a fair bit of wear but certainly not anywhere near as bad as some I've seen posted. Better just to do them.

-rumor has it that the engine manufacturer recieved a bad batch of bearings.
that is supposed to explain why some are badly worn and some look like new
if that was the case then the serial numbers of the engines that show wear should be all around the same group.
-another rumor is the quality of oil being used and the frequency of the oil changes
that is a cover up since the same oil is being used at Toyota and yet some and some don't show wear
-some say that it is because in Japan there is a lot of slow traffic and idle time allowing ash to build up in the oil
but this is happening in countries where much more agressive driving patterns are experienced.

i am going with #1, a bad batch of shells.

I'm kinda partial to the oil cavitation theory that was floating around. It conveniently explains why this motor in particular is "susceptible" to BEB issues. Who knows really though.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi all,

Not wishing to drag the BEB thread any further but I did notice something interesting on MUD.
Not so sure of the 'ACL - fit and forget' idea. Some of the top shells look worse than my originals with 185k miles on them. From MUD...

I replaced my 1HD-T BEBs about 70,000 kms ago with ACL bearings. My engine is out on a stand while I swap it to a different truck, so I thought it would be a convenient time to replace the bearings again instead of waiting to 100,000 kms.

Here is a photo of the bearing wear, just in case anyone is interested.

ACL.jpg

how often did you change the oil and what type did you put in it?

just to clarify, this is not a picture of my shells. This came directly from the MUD forum.
I was just surprised with only 70,000kms they looked worse than my originals which I recently pulled with 185k miles on them.

I did notice that some other folk on MUD where asking this guy the same question about oil and changes.
Maybe he didn't lube the shells well enough before install. Who knows. Still not what I expected to see.

Here's the link if anybody is intersted:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/767787-acl-beb-photo-after-70-000-kms.html

Cheers,
Dave

I haven't read the thread as I haven't time ATM.

I personally wouldn't just put acls in and think that's it for he rest of its life. Bearings are there for a reason. Moving parts and all that. They get some hammer.

Personally if I keep a truck ill check my bearings approx 100k if I ever get to it.

Last edited:
read the post on ih8mud and it doesn't go into much detail of oil and stuff. I think karl is right just need to check it. mine were done last week at 136k the chap had owned it 13 years and changed the oil every 2 weeks. they have a small amount of where in them put nothing to worry about. I changed them for acl any way. will take to lincomb as still in the back of the cruiser. oil still looks like it was just put in and I have done 200 miles in it this week.
stu

My turn.

At 09:00 this morning I took the truck for its cam belt change today and mentioned all you hooligans and how paranoid you are about BEBs. I've got 340k kms on the clock.

At 10:00 he phoned me to say that he'd pulled the shells and apart from a "few light scratches" they were fine. I don't have any photos to post as yet.

My problem is, he wants to put them back in for me to run for a week or two, while he gets Mr T replacements. I've said before that there's no Milners here and likewise nobody has heard of ACL or any other aftermarket brands.

I'm concerned that running on the old stretch bolts would be dicey, even for likely less than 500 km.

What's the opinion, too risky, or wait till the new ones come? It means the family and I miss a weekend trip home, something I hate to miss if I can avoid it.

Answers on a postcard please, maybe I should run a poll :eusa-naughty:

Last edited:
You trust the guy your paying to replace them but you don't trust his advice that the old ones are good enough to go back in :think:

You trust the guy your paying to replace them but you don't trust his advice that the old ones are good enough to go back in :think:

That wasn't the question Shayne. As a matter of fact I trust the guy a lot. First, it's not re-using the bearings for 500 or so kms that bothers me so much as re-using the stretch bolts that worries me. Perhaps I didn't make it very clear. Sorry.

The FSM gives min diameter measurements for the bolts so they obviously can be reused. If your mechanic has measured them and they are within spec then why not but, personally, I'd insist on new bolts when the new shells go in. I replaced the bolts when I did mine using Toyota shells.

I used to always re use the bolts Clive untill I came across an engine that had had the new acls and old bolts reused. One bolt failed and a con rod went through the engine. I don't risk it anymore for the sake of £70 from the dealers.

Always your own choice and as said I used to always re use the old bolts.

Changing your bearings isn't a scare factor. It's piece of mind. I had an engine on a personal truck let go on me with low miles on it. Cost me a lot of money to put right. Far more than a £200 job to change the bearings.

I used to always re use the bolts Clive untill I came across an engine that had had the new acls and old bolts reused. One bolt failed and a con rod went through the engine. I don't risk it anymore for the sake of £70 from the dealers.

Always your own choice and as said I used to always re use the old bolts.

Changing your bearings isn't a scare factor. It's piece of mind. I had an engine on a personal truck let go on me with low miles on it. Cost me a lot of money to put right. Far more than a £200 job to change the bearings.

Thanks Karl.

There's no doubt, new bearings are going in complete with new bolts. Only the two week wait is my concern. It seems from your experience Karl, the chances of the old bolts letting go in 500 km appear to be quite low.

Decisions, decisions :think:

I agree its very very low that one will let go mate. I'm not saying you will be ok though.

I've done it many times as others have but some people do end up the unlucky ones. I've seen far too many of these engines be turned into scrap due to bearings.

I think they say the stretch bolts can be used 3 times or mesured to see if there in tolerance.

Last edited:
Usually i would think reassembly of old but working parts is unlikely to cause problems but in this case as the bolts stretch i think it would be important to place the correct bolt in the same hole it was originally used . I assume its very unlikely he knows which bolt came from where and its a big risk when its only to avoid to 2 weeks inconvenience . Wouldn't he loan you a vehicle for the trip home ?

I agree its very very low that one will let go mate. I'm not saying you will be ok though.

I've done it many times as others have but some people do end up the unlucky ones. I've seen far too many of these engines be turned into scrap due to bearings.

I think they say the stretch bolts can be used 3 times or mesured to see if there in tolerance.

Sure Karl, as always, famous last words! I'll get the guy to measure them and if in tolerance, I'll give them a try. Otherwise I'll stay in the city for the weekend and go crazy! Better crazy than the owner of a box of scrap! :lol:

Back