Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Big end shell replacement

And to be clear here, it's NOT wear that's the factor with the bearings. It is leaching of the calcium in the white metal due to Eu olis being magnesium rich (That's the story and I'm sticking to it). If it were just wear they should last almost forever. That's what lubricant is for. It's like the difference between tyre wear and a puncture. Different failures.

Stretch bolts can be re used if, like mentioned, they have been measured and are in spec. I don't know what this is or how to measure it so I put new bolts in. I think I would leave it in bits and hire a car for the week personally. I don't know the physics of stretch bolts in detail but my worry would be that if re used they could actually have been tightened but within a few miles, simply come loose. If they can be tightened slightly more then the 90 degrees and use a little more stretch then perhaps that is a solution. But just doing the torque plus 90 degrees again worries me. Gut feel not science.

And to be clear here, it's NOT wear that's the factor with the bearings. It is leaching of the calcium in the white metal due to Eu olis being magnesium rich (That's the story and I'm sticking to it). If it were just wear they should last almost forever. That's what lubricant is for. It's like the difference between tyre wear and a puncture. Different failures.

Stretch bolts can be re used if, like mentioned, they have been measured and are in spec. I don't know what this is or how to measure it so I put new bolts in. I think I would leave it in bits and hire a car for the week personally. I don't know the physics of stretch bolts in detail but my worry would be that if re used they could actually have been tightened but within a few miles, simply come loose. If they can be tightened slightly more then the 90 degrees and use a little more stretch then perhaps that is a solution. But just doing the torque plus 90 degrees again worries me. Gut feel not science.

Cheers Chris,

In my case, irrespective of the wear which appears to me minimal, new bearings and bolts are going in when they are delivered next week.

In the meantime, the bolts have been measured, they're in tolerance, and they've gone back in already. I'll drive the car to the house with minimal force and hope for the best.
Karl's on standby:?

:shifty:

By the way, it's always been my opinion that turbos on diesels must, by their nature, put extra stress on the BEBs. This may explain any statistical differences between the rate of failure on turbo engines compared with normally aspirated engines (if any).

At 340k km I was expecting the worst, and found the opposite. Maybe this is just a fluke, but I can't help thinking that being normally aspirated has had some influence here.

There aren't many of us I suppose, compared with the numbers of turbo models, to make a reasoned comparison.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just put another order in for ACLs

I had heard a rumour the factory was closing down.

I asked today if this was the case. The rumour was true. So as from July 2014 Acl will not be produced unless someone goes in with a large amount of money.

Is there a difference in the BEB's from 12V to 24V to the 100 series engine?

Andy

I've been told so Andy (I think by Karl) ... but am sure he'll be back shortly to confirm it :)

Perhaps worth contacting the likes of Vandervell and see if they can produce something suitable?

Got back in the UK 4.30 this morn Andy.

The bearings are the same as they are all running the same crank.

Karl

The power or RPM of the engine is not necessarily related to bolt failure. When the piston is on compression or firing the bolt may not be under much stress but on the intake stroke and over run the bolts are stressed. All bolts will fail in the end . Individual bolts are not tested in the mass car industry, unlike aircraft where all bolts are tested before fitting.

All bolts stretch when they are tightened otherwise they would come undone. It's the tension in the bolt causing friction on the threads that locks the bolt.

Frank

Well finally I got the new BEB shells installed and the fitters kept my old ones as I'd asked him to.

Certainly not like the disasters earlier in this thread, thank goodness, I'm impressed that they're in such good condition after 340k kms! No pitting at all, nothing more than scratches.

Anyway, I can sleep easy now, new shells in and new stretch bolts :icon-biggrin:

What do members think of these? Left to right...

1 & 2

image.jpg

3 & 4

image.jpg

5 & 6

image.jpg

In each photo, the cap shell is on the left and the con rod shell is on the right.

The shells are all the same colour, only the way the light shone makes some look darker. No. 1 con rod shell appears to have a tiny crack starting in the right edge, centre of the curve.

Last edited:
Shame we don't see more of the non turbos to compare the shells. Out of all the trucks I've had I hen never had one or seen one in the flesh.

Would be nice to see bearings like that in all the engines I open up.

Shame we don't see more of the non turbos to compare the shells. Out of all the trucks I've had I hen never had one or seen one in the flesh.

Would be nice to see bearings like that in all the engines I open up.

The strange thing is the previous owner admitted to neglecting it and I haven't been quite as holy as holy about service intervals. The BEB scare was giving me nightmares TBH, very pleased to find what I found and to get new shells in. Cheers Karl :handgestures-thumb:

Thought I'd add mine to this thread for what it's worth...

JE.jpg

I'd been told that they'd been done before, but considering the mileage (261,000 Kms), I thought it was about time to check/re-do them.

Now I'm not so convinced that they had been done...
No6Upr.jpg
Has all gone fairly smoothly until I found some swarf in the sump! (will add another thread.)

Also, of the shells I removed 5 were no 4's and 1 was a no 3... but as the Plastigauge showed the oil gap was within specification (.002-.0025) with the STD size ACL I decided to go ahead and fit it...
Anyone disagree with this decision?

Last edited:
They're pretty nasty. Are they stamped up as Toyota ones? Or are they ACL etc?

They are Toyo...

I started at the front and thought - wasting my time, they're all good.... but by the time I got to no 6 I was getting a lotto ticket.

Back