Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Blown 80, my Landcruiser story

Nice to see this thread getting a top-up Chris... :thumbup:

Thanks Clive, it's good to get back into tinkering with the old girl again.
Its been pretty well set up as we wanted it for some time now, so there was little need for changes or tinkering, more just maintenance and driving.

Another update to add now.

With the front half of the drawer system removed, I have to find somewhere for my second air compressor. This one fills my twin air tanks and is for quick tyre inflation, so has to go back in.

When the cut down drawer system goes in, it is the full width from arch to ach across the floor, so I have made a neat little mounting tray for the compressor to bolt to above the wheel arch.

The switching is still operated from my overhead centre console via a heavy duty solenoid and 25mm wiring from the batteries.

Theres plenty of room for ventilation and I can still use some of the side storage space.

I'll get it electroplated and powder coated before bolting in and wiring it up again.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Back with more soon.

First time I've seen this thread. Nice truck. :thumbup: Look forward to seeing your rebuild.

Thanks Mark. Just a revamp of the storage system really, or more to the point a reduction.
We want to do more big trips with the two dogs in the 'cruiser, and while they fit in the wife's RAV4, it won't tow our new van.
I am doing a few more mods so maybe I should post them up too. It might provide a few ideas for others.

Hi, do you still have your 80 series? We are looking at getting a Sprintex supercharged intercooled kit on our 80 series 1FZ FE, I was wondering if you could tell me if you got the Intercooled kit also, and did you have to change your exhaust?

Hi Jewels, I just answered your PM before seeing this question.
My kit is an original system we installed when we were Sprintex dealers, so no intercooler.
It runs at around 4.5psi so no real need for intercooling. Superchargers don't have the same heat soak issues as turbos and the low psi doesn't get real hot. The revised systems by Bullet run higher psi with an intercooler.
Yes I also run a larger exhaust with a tri-y header system and a high flow main muffler, but also a small resonator at the back. Without it the droning noise will drive you mad. Now it's just a nice supercharger whistle.
I also run a high flow Unifilter air filter, high performance leads and plugs and have manually set the timing to 16deg btdc. I have to always run on high octane 98ron to avoid pinging under load.

Aside from that she's pretty much a stock engine. :icon-cool:

I do also run an engine block temperature monitoring system just to keep an eye on things as I don't trust water temp gauges. It is pretty stable even under heavy workload.
Cheers
Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Chris, thanks for reply, yeah we were told we would need the intercooler kit, but they are going to say that arent they to get extra $2000 out of us. They also told us we need to upgrade the exhaust to ceramic thermal barrier coatings, and again more money, and then they said we need the XEDE Processor and again more money, we are going to be towing a 3.2 T off road van and we know the old girl might struggle a little, and dont want to do it to her, so I done some research and it looks like the Sprintex is the go, How do you find yours as you tow a van dont you/

Sounds like you've had the standard Bullet 'upgrade' sell.
I don't get involved with them, it's not how I do things.
Theres a lot of overkill in those suggestions, but it does depend if you want outright performance or simply some reliable improvement in performance. Those extras will undoubtedly tweak it up more for you, but at what expense.
I have a 25 foot semi-off-road van and it doesn't hesitate on steep climbs.
Essentially the way I have set mine up it is cost-effective and more economical than a V8 conversion. But if you're going to add on all those upgrades and 'wind it up' further risking reliability, you may as well go the V8 conversion and get the better economy and an under-worked engine.
The basic set up will deliver more than enough in my view. You can probably always upgrade later if you really need to, but the improvement we got is more than enough.
Theres not too many 3t full time 4wds that can light up their tyres at the lights. :icon-wink:

So, your honest opinion we would just need to upgrade our exhaust and just get the supercharger kit no intercooler? Yeah I know they will try and sell us as much as they can just to make them dollars but I just want some honest answers, which I dont believe Bullet would be telling me, this is why I came on here and found your posts, and you seem to be honest. We dont know much about these supercharger kits and you were the only person that has one on same truck, we dont want to have to pay out extra money if we dont need to.

Hi Blown 80, I just re-read your other post and you said " The revised systems by Bullet run higher psi with an intercooler."
So your saying the supercharger kits are now revised to what you had installed is that right?

That is correct mate, they have implemented their own changes to what we installed previously.
Their kit should also include, aside from the supercharger, a piggy-back module on the ECU to run the two extra injectors, cross over pipe and injectors. The upgrade to a new ECU negates the need for the module and can be tuned/mapped so there are some benefits to going that way. But ceramic coated exhaust.....? I do offer a Genie exhaust system that is perfectly suitable, same as in mine.
But as a whole package it really does come down to what you think is good value for money for you. My opinion may be different.
As mentioned, as far as performance goes they are great 'bang for buck', but at what point is it too much buck or the wrong sort of bang??

so your exhaust is 2 3/4" Genie is that right? Can I ask why you went for that size 2 3/4" ? we were told 2 1/2"
I am really getting confused.:think:

Progress report on the cruiser.....
I got a fair bit more done on the drawer system revamp today, but didn't take any photos.
I know....that's sin bin worthy....I just got too busy.

But I did capture some pix of the other work going on at the same time on the van.
Our van has a rear bar with one fixed spare tyre on a bracket.
I am adding a second spare plus bike rack, but as there is nothing 'off the shelf' I've designed and making one ourselves.
First per these pix is the swing arm system for the second spare.
It has to be on a swing arm as there is an access door behind the position which must be opened to access the split system air conditioning unit.
So a quick scribble in CAD and it was off to the laser cutter, then we started to put it together.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Back soon.

so your exhaust is 2 3/4" Genie is that right? Can I ask why you went for that size 2 3/4" ? we were told 2 1/2"
I am really getting confused.:think:

You are more likely to get droning with a bigger system, hence my extra resonator.
We did the original prototyping for the Genie system as well, and we used 2.75". They have since re-worked it back to 2.5" as it was too noisy. So yes, the systems out there now will be 2.5".

We built a prototype for Genie using 2.75". I had previously ran a couple of other brand 2.5" systems which didn't last and we're getting warp issues at the head.
Plus bigger is always better right?
So we got in some 2.75" pipe from Genie and stitched together a system they could then use to build up a production system. But as we experienced a lot of noise, an awful lot of noise, so we modified it with an extra resonator and the resultant system is fine.
The basic design is now produced by Genie but using 2.5" so the noise is no longer an issue.
But the system, route, springs, joins, etc is otherwise the same, just in 2.5". The headers are a lot better and no warp issues. I hope that plains better for you.

Hi Chris, was the extra noise a result of the larger 2.75" system and the supercharger, or is it just the larger pipe? I had a 3" system fitted by Prospeed of Cardiff which has a very nice deep tone but is no louder than standard there is no drone either.

The combination I believe Chas. I had a 2.5" system on prior to the supercharger. Once I put all the new different bits in and planted the foot, you'd have believed it was an elephant farting through a megaphone.
The extra resonator took the sting out of it.
It still opens up a bit under a bit of pedal force, but no where near as bad.

A diesel engine is completely different though, or was this a past petrol model you had?
If you are referring to your HDJ80, they sing along nicely with a 3" system and a good dump pipe.
A good exhaust is more than just about the pipe.

Chas, add an intercooler, manual boost adjuster and a tune and that engine will really sing along :icon-cool:

If you are referring to your HDJ80, they sing along nicely with a 3" system and a good dump pipe.
A good exhaust is more than just about the pipe.

Chas, add an intercooler, manual boost adjuster and a tune and that engine will really sing along :icon-cool:

Yes it's the HDJ80, already got an intercooler, 3" exhaust but no 3" dump pipe yet, it's something I've not got round to yet. I'm not really wanting more speed, she's an old girl and I wouldn't want to do her any damage but better economy would be nice.

Yes it's the HDJ80, already got an intercooler, 3" exhaust but no 3" dump pipe yet, it's something I've not got round to yet. I'm not really wanting more speed, she's an old girl and I wouldn't want to do her any damage but better economy would be nice.

Get your fuel pump looked at Chas to my mind there is too much black smoke every time you accelerate , that's unused fuel getting fired out of the exhaust .

Back