Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Caliper Square cut o-rings

RL12

Country Flag
great_britain
Does anyone know where to source square cut o-rings from?

I'm trying to reseal a pair of 4 pot lj70 front calipers but 'bigg red' rebuild kit doesn't contain the small square cut o rings that fit between the caliper halves (not the piston o rings) and one of the seals is damaged.

From my experience from Matbro teleporter hydraulic blocks, which have square and oval o-rings. If you have a selection of o-rings seals then you find one that fits with no excess.

It's only when they have been clamped up for years that they become square! It worked on my application!

yeh the body is square cut roger.

and i know what you mean Iwan but i'm pretty sure these are cut square (like the caliper piston seals are cut square) rather than deformed.

here is a pic of the seal. approx 10mm diameter
IMG_23451_zpsaf53613d.jpg

Square cut channel needs a square cut ring. If you use a standard "O" ring it will deform which is different to being compressed. The problem is that caliper manufacturers do not like you splitting the two halves and do not (from memory) supply spare seals.

You could try a bearing stockist as they usually supply seals incl. "O" rings so they may have a supply or a source for you to investigate.

Roger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Today i tried visiting a few bearings/seals etc places with no luck. also a motor spares plade on the 'off chance', and Exeter Toyota. the parts man had a schematic diagram but it only listed the piston seals :(

one of the bearings places suggested having a cheeky word with one of the fitters so had a snoop around the back of the yota dealer but it was just wash bays and loads of Prius's haha.

so still not really sure what to do....

Did You try Exeter Hose & Hydralic?
Other siide of roundabout from Toyota Dealer.
If no luck try Abe at Newton Hose, behind Fairway furniture.
Abe wins the award for most helpful bloke ever!!

thanks guys, a few more places to try, i shall give them a go a report back with my progress!

yeh the body is square cut roger.

and i know what you mean Iwan but i'm pretty sure these are cut square (like the caliper piston seals are cut square) rather than deformed.

Gotcha man! My application was the other way round! Where yours are round with square edges, mine were square with round edges! I see, I see!:clap:

Good luck with it!

Exeter hose& hydraulic bloke was kind and gave me a couple of normal o-rings but i don't want to risk it tbh.
I phoned alliance seals and the guy sounded promising and might've been able to supply quad seals (X shaped cross section that expands under pressure better than o rings) he said he would phone me back a couple of days ago but hasn't done.

so.. i phoned BiggRed- the place where i brought my rebuild kit from and he said he has some not sure why i didn't think of this before lol :oops:
he said they don't supply them because people don't usually split the castings (probably because the seals break in the process? haha). all being well i should have the seal soon :)

Back