Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

camping trailer design / build

Good start Jon... only taken you a year :twisted:

Out of interest, do trailers need to pass a MOT type test, or even a initial inspection before it can be used on the road?

TonyP said:
Good start Jon... only taken you a year :twisted:

Out of interest, do trailers need to pass a MOT type test, or even a initial inspection before it can be used on the road?
AFAIK not at the moment but it's coming some day soon. I did say don't expect any imediate updates :mrgreen:

Jon Wildsmith said:
AFAIK not at the moment but it's coming some day soon. I did say don't expect any imediate updates :mrgreen:

Very interesting that, so a bit of a loophole froma road safety perspective. I recall back in SA when I modified a trailer it needed to pass a COR (similar to a MOT), but then it also had it's own registration...

Interested to see the final result of this build, are you going to "just" paint it or poweder coat it?

It still has to be 'safe' and comply with some regulations mainly to do with brakes and lighting but even if it needed to pass an inspection I wouldn't be worrying about them saying it's not strong enough :)

I will just paint it for now. If I had a detailed plan of what happens next I would weld everything needed to the chassis and get it galvanised but there's not much point doing that when I only have rough ideas in my head where I'll be gluing more bits on :mrgreen: The camping requirement has gone out the window a bit with us getting another caravan but I've sized it to still be able to take a maggiolina RT and will just see what develops.

Test fit of the axle and hitch ready for checking if the hitch height is where I wanted it then I'll add some wheel tubs and sides if weather permits this weekend as it doesn't fit in the garage any more!

IMAG0270.jpg

IMAG0271.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nice Jon, up to your usual standard of course. You really need that TIG skill! Steel is so last year :lol:

Chris

Looking good Jon,

I will say one thing,
It looks seriously heavy.
I can't imagine what it will weigh nett weight when complete.
So far so good, but I would be concerned that a nett finished weight would be around 700kg maybe?

G.

It is and will be heavy for what it could have been Graham, that's a compromise I'm accepting in having used the materials I had to hand rather than ordering in a few lengths of 3mm wall box and saving about 40kg in weight. The frame weighs about 115kg using metal weights x quantity used and as I was still able to man handle it out of the garage, flip it over etc I don't think that's far out. Axle is 60kg, hitch I guess about 25kg, so somewhere around 250-275kg as it stands now is my guess. I will add about 40kg of thin wall 50mm box for the sides and about 25kg of flooring so target dry weight is say 350kg leaving me 950kg available payload on the current axle.

I've sized it so that it could still be a heavy duty camping trailer but I no longer have a need for that and am building it to be able to move heavy loads so without the benefit of being able to calculate the material strengths needed, 3mm would have been the thinest I would go with and saving 40kg wasn't worth it to me for the cost of getting new materials in :)

Hi Jon,
Well, better "over engineered " than "under engineered".
You can rest easy, knowing it won't break.

I think in the bigger picture, it will be a trailer for your purpose, and it will be no problem.
It's not too heavy for your truck to pull, thats for sure.
I do like the wheels you have put on it.
I dare say, after its all built, you may even decide to replace some of the cross iron for some lighter guage at a later date.
Just a cut and reweld. ?

G.

As it's my first trailer build I'm expecting to learn from it and possibly then build one that's right at a later date :)

Only had time to offer it up to the back of the truck to double check ride height today

IMAG0272.jpg

Graham said:
I dare say, after its all built, you may even decide to replace some of the cross iron for some lighter guage at a later date.
Just a cut and reweld. ?
Maybe I should turn it into latice work with my plasma cutter :)

Made the side bumper tubes and side supports today but didn't have time to glue them on. They'll just be welded to the sides of the main frame and then I'll add some box along the top and some tube over the wheels to form a mud guard.

IMAG0275.jpg

IMAG0276.jpg

IMAG0279.jpg

Starting to come together JW - are they the old 'barbie' wheels on the trailer or 17"/18" OEM's with a hint of sparkle?? :mrgreen:

They're OEM 18" with a hint of spray can :) I have enough of those with Toyo's on to go round but as you can see haven't got round to taking the STT's off the truck yet. I *might* buy another STT or two, don't know yet but there are enough OEM 16's that sparkle to handle them :whistle: Only way I can see the barbies getting used again is if I try some other 18" tyres and I don't have room for them ... or do I, trailer will take 6 wheels and tyres :lol:

Jon Wildsmith said:
trailer will take 6 wheels and tyres :lol:
Well, it will do with another axle or two strapped on it!!! :lol:

You could do worse than get Jess a horse box for 'storage' purposes :whistle: :lol:

It's big enough for 6 wheels & tyres in the bed and a roof tent over the top ;)

Ryan Thomson said:
What benders are you using for the tube?
A Pro Tools 105 HD. Good piece of kit, would be cheaper to go find a local place to bend tube for me when needed but where's the fun in that :) I have 2", 1.5" & 1.25" dies, metric ones are made to order only and a bit pricey :( I can do simple bends for you, I don't do complicated bends yet :think:

Glued one side on before work this morning:

IMAG0281.jpg

IMAG0283.jpg

IMAG0286.jpg

Back