Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Can't believe I am asking a handbrake question

I know mate, but the evidence on this one seems to have been scattered up the road somewhere. They don't look like Milner ones. I shall ask the PO next time we're talking. It's a strange one for sure.

So your neighbours problem was incorrect shoes Chris? Just to double check.

I've never had need to maintain my handbrake in 144,000 miles other than to adjust it with the horizontal nut. In fact it's the best design I've ever had. I do put 3 wheel nuts on with spacers to simulate the wheel being there.

I suspect most handbrake problems, like other LC problems, are due to previous mechanics using non standard parts or assembling incorrectly. Or operator error as in using the HB to slow the car down. Or is it mud and water due to a lot of off roading.

You used to be able to buy brake linings and rivet them on. Perhaps this is a possibility if you have genuine or previous OK HB.

Frank, I agree. Much of the work I have had to do on these HBs in the past has been to successive owners just tightening the cable end inside the car. As it's a lever with mechanical advantage there's potential to put a great deal of force into the components at the hub. Road salt, off roading etc all take their toll. When it works, it's a very effective handbrake. Really, used properly and adjusted properly the shoes and mechanism ought to last the lifetime of the vehicle!

I can't say if the shoes were incorrect Frank, as I didn't have a set of OEMs to measure against. But the slot in the shoe for the spreader bar was too deep by a long way for his set up. He renewed almost all the parts inside which now looks very swish but it made no difference at all to the operation until we welded the slot up a bit.

If I dare to chip in again on this thread.... (which, BTW, IIRC starts with an opening line something like "...this is an open model question...":icon-rolleyes: ) I rued the day when shoes went from riveted to glued.

In my time, I've had 2 sets of shoes when the linings have parted from the shoe. I can only presume that's what's happened here, and the linings have been powdered away in the mixer.

Hi Chaps, an old and completed thread here but something new has appeared. We determined that the issue was that the spreader was too short or that the slot in the shoes was too deep, yes? And we fixed it with weld. Well this is all very fine if you can weld. Which many of you can't. FNB, our friends down under have come up with a kit of parts for the handbrake. It's available in sections with the spreader bar available on its own. After many measurements they have come up with the perfect length of bar to cure this issue - it seems that suffer the same problem so you can't blame cheap UK pattern parts anymore. I have a set but haven't had chance to put it on because my shoes were welded in a previous thread so I need some new ones. But rather than delay the good news, I figured I'd post something up. I could have done this on the getting the most from your handbrake thread, but this one is really more focussed on the spreader bar than the other one. The second kit comes with new springs, circlips (those stupid horseshoe shaped things) pins, retaining washers, in fact everything really except the bell crank and the wire rope. The wire rope bit is available from Milner by the way for less than £3 so treat yourself.

Here's the bag of goodies. I think Chris is going to post something up later. They are nice parts and I have to say a million miles better than the Milner ones which are quite poor indeed I'm afraid. Couple these with some new shoes and you'll have a handbrake from heaven.

Screen Shot 2015-06-10 at 17.12.18.jpg

Oh good. I'm in for the dog bone spreaders as I have all the other bits to refurb the damn thing. MOT tomorrow so we'll see what they say ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Watching with interest Chris. I do like the idea of handbrake that works.

Well judging by how well the lash up version works, this will be the Mutt's.

The dog bone part is stainless I think and even etched. It's lush.

That's the baby. Chris is going to start a thread I think and probably talk about how we can get hold of them here in the UK maybe as a forum.

That's the baby. Chris is going to start a thread I think and probably talk about how we can get hold of them here in the UK maybe as a forum.

Could I get one without drawers please.............

:laughing-rolling:

Yogi there is no suggestion here whatsoever of a group buy. This product is nothing to do with me. I just have one and I am saying that the seller will probably put something up to make it easy for people to buy it given that it's the other side of the world.

The tailgate deck things that turned out to be a bust never had drawers in them at any point so you'll have to forgive me not putting that riddle together fella. They were lidded compartments. Or as we called them cubby holes. Not drawers chap. The question was cubby or plain.

Hey Chris, that looks like a nice bit of kit you have there.... :icon-cool: Lush hey.....

Yes, it is true guys, we have spent considerable time and effort testing this little gem both on my own 80 and customers here.
It literally transforms the feel of the handbrake when adjusted back up correctly.
I had already been offering them locally before sending a set to the handbrake guru here as a thank you for his support with his suspension order and stuff. The local guys here who look at me as if I'm selling sand to Arabs simply get a tour of the workshop and jump in my 80 to pull the handbrake. They always grab a set.

Sorry if this sounds like a sales pitch, it probably is, but when I get a little excited about something it's hard not to carry on. Just to give you an idea of the lengths we went to, the final design is 0.41mm different in length to the earlier versions, such is our testing and trialling and precision engineering capability. I am pretty happy with it, if you can't tell.

Tomorrow I will be looking at minimising our packaging and checking weights and postal costs and will let you know what they will be worth delivered to anywhere in the UK, as a set of struts only and with retainer kit and/or with wires.
I will post details up in my little 'space' Crispin has provided in the Commercial section.

Hopefully we can help some of you solve the dreaded Landcruiser handbrake.
Cheers

Think I'll be looking at that too. Need to sort my handbrake as I failed it on mot (yes failed my own motor!) Will be stripping it this weekend and getting it somewhere near.

Let me know if I can send you a set of struts Gary. Be good to know I can help solve your own MOT requirements. :icon-biggrin:

Let me know if I can send you a set of struts Gary. Be good to know I can help solve your own MOT requirements. :icon-biggrin:

I'm going to have a look in there tomorrow and see if I need the full kit or just struts, will order what I need.
Will adjust it for now and put a ticket on the old girl. Should actually start using the handbrake :whistle:

We don't need another handbrake thread so here's a good a place as any to ask about "other" handbrake problems .

New disks and a few other bits , backed the handbrake as far off as it will go and still it jams on in reverse ?

I've had it apart twice and i can't see a problem , current thinking is painted disc is sticky and i should reverse out of the yard in anger and take it for a spin hoping to wear the problem away . I can spin the wheel forwards by hand no bother at all .

Before i do this have i missed anything obvious ?

The two springs at the top of each shoe, one is stronger/thicker than the other. They have to be placed on the right shoe for balance between forward and reverse movement. Can't remember now which goes where.
ScreenHunter_01 May. 19 17.52.gif

Last edited:
Back