Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Can't believe I am asking a handbrake question

Glasses are a pain, especially when working on things lower down as you're always looking through the wrong part.

Glasses are a pain, I've been wearing them since I was 12. Nowadays I take them off for close work as with increasing old age my short sight is lengthening. I also have a separate pair of close-up glasses that I wear under the welding helmet!

I struggle with vari-focals when working under the car :icon-rolleyes:.

As they say, old age doesn't come alone (I'm now 67 :doh:).

Bob.

Yes, I found putting them on under my welding helmet mad a HUGE difference. Never thought about it and couldn't wonder why I couldn't see anything anymore.

Yes. Is that wrong?

Yes. Is that wrong?

:laughing-rolling:

Two things I've learned from this post:

(i) I'm glad I don't have disc brakes on the back of my 80; and
(ii) I'm not the only old bugger that hates having to wear glasses for short focus.

I've always been envious of your UK spec 80s, with fancy trim and the rear discs, but after all the hassle you guys seem to have with the HB, I'm glad mine is a simple arrangement. TBH, I don't know what's inside my drums, they've always worked and every blue moon or so, the workshop gives them another click, and the bite-point drops a couple of inches on the lever. The shoes are the same ones for the 8 years I've owned it (and goodness how many before me), and it works.

I guess that's put the curse on my HB now, having said that! :doh:

Well Clive, I fear that your eyesight may have deteriorated beyond what you first imagined. You see, if you read it again, you'll see that this isn't about an 80 HB, it's a Colorado.

I said it's a COLORADO

Sorry, you're not deaf. I shouldn't shout. Ha ha.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well Clive, I fear that your eyesight may have deteriorated beyond what you first imagined. You see, if you read it again, you'll see that this isn't about an 80 HB, it's a Colorado.

I said it's a COLORADO

Sorry, you're not deaf. I shouldn't shout. Ha ha.

Pardon? :lol:

Sure, but aren't they the same system, at least in principle? I'm sure you guys have posted that many of the parts are interchangeable.

I'll stand corrected, and go to the corner with my D hat. :lol:

No no no . Same, nooo, where on earth did you hear that? 80 and 90 series handbrake components interchangeable? Oh Clive you do make me laugh.

Ha ha ha.

Honestly, the very idea.

Yes, they're exactly the same. Bugger.

"D" hat's in the garbage, thank fcuk for that!

Really thought I'd lost it then Chris :shifty:

Right, that job is officially 'jobbed'.

Neighbour came round today with all the handbrake mechanism assembled in the drum. He'd cleverly used a socked to simulate the top pivot. It all fitted beautifully. When he pulled the wire the top spreader bar moved miles. But didn't move the shoes out. OK you say, as we said it's wear in the spreader bar. No. That was pretty untouched but what I had already suspected was that the slot in the shoe where the spreader bar goes was too deep. These were Blueprint shoes, so normally good, but the spreader just never reached the end of the slot before it ran out of travel. We decided to weld up the shoe, not the spreader because if the shoes were ever changed for OEM or something with the correct sized slot, he bar would be wrong. He went off to refit them.

He was back half an hour later with a massive grin on his face. Sorted. Can't even reverse back down a steep slope with the HB on.

You're not going to believe this. I know I can't.

Took the green one for the MOT last month. Flew through. Adjusted the handbrake before I went. It was all it needed. A few weeks later the lever came right up in the cabin and I had no hand brake. Ahh, I thought, maybe a spring has come off. So today, drivers side off, all perfect. Went round to passenger side.

Think I have found the problem.

P1010597.JPG

Mice have eaten the linings. All I found were a few chunks of shoe about 4mm thick in the bottom of the drum. It was all there a couple of weeks ago. So, new shoes please. Other side is perfect.

What is it with the damn hand brakes?

Oh dear! Over adjusted? I think my handbrake works, can't say I really use it lol.

Don't think so Gary. If they were a little tight (which they weren't) it would just 'machine' off a bit as the wheels went round and it would be fine. A set of handbrake shoes should really last forever. There's no wear if adjusted properly. These have disintegrated.

Ouch, where did you get the shoes from ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seen plenty that have fallen apart before, some due to age, some due to adjustment or seized linkages, others because they were french crap :lol:

Any scoring to the disc? One on the left looks to have a polished bit? Bit of corrosion lower down too, maybe made the material lift?

Gary, you need a lie down.

Andy, I didn't fit them. they were on the car already. No markings on them. Drum is fine inside. New shoes, 30 mins and all will be well again I'm sure. Never seen this on a Yota before.

I like to know why stuff goes wrong, work brain rarely turns off lol.

Back