Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Can't believe I am asking a handbrake question

Thicker / stronger one goes at the front of the assembly toward the bonnet end. Shayne, you could try a drive forward with some progressive applications of the handbrake in FORWARDS only. It might be that they aren't quite centralised. This does happen. They need the rotation sometimes to settle them in and square them up. It's not usual, but not unheard of.

comparing the 6 main springs i have to hand they are all the same ? just stripped it down and put it all back together hoping for a fluke fix and still it won't turn backwards by hand !

Can't drive forwards because there's nowhere to go so engine power is the only thing i can do , unless i remove the shoes to get the car out and put it back together when i can get some forward motion but patience has worn a little thin for that .

Ahh, that's a bugger. Hmm. The springs really are different and by some margin. Or certainly should be. They're noticeably different to bend, but that being said, it really should not cause this issue at all. It simple make the handbrake a bit crap.

I'm struggling a bit Shayne. If the winder is truly wound right in and the shoes are absolutely centred on the top and bottom locations it should be free. Have you done something to the dog-bone at all?

Somebody has been at these brakes before me and the dogbones are near new . I got the truck out anyway , no mot so back and forth up and down the lane groaning out various tunes then running fine then groaning again but remembering calipers sticking on the new disc last time i decided to call it a day .

Damned if i do and damned if i don't now , im going to book an mot in Cardiff just so i get a decent run to bed the discs in and i think the only thing i can do is slack off the handbrake in the cab and drive there with it on but that's lots of heat and the last thing i need is brakes binding on that road with no mot !

Hmm "someone has been at the brake before me" with a cheap and nasty kit - and maybe there lies the answer .

These are still new enough to have plating on in places but they had all bent and failed

handbrake-clicking-001-jpg.126475.jpg

Whats the odds he bought the shoes from the same place and they are a poor fit ?

Yes that's not quite supposed to be that shape. Shoes really do generally have to be made to correct dimensions. I've had several pairs from Milners and they have fit. To check those, take the shoes off and place them inside the disc / drum and rock them. If they don't touch 100% because of wear, they soon will once you have dragged them for half a mile or so. This is actually in the FSM. What happens is that on the flat, you get great handbrake tension and feel but on a slope, zero hold. This is due to the shoes high-spotting. But this is a different issue and certainly the bent pin isn't going to help

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Very interesting subject. Before I bought my Toyota I had read a lot about the terrible handbrake design. Strange that Mr Toyota should use this design. I have been told it is used on some Volvo's. So rekindling this thread what are the options as I am going to refurbish the brake system. Handbrake only just passed the MOT. I like the idea of not buying new spreader bars. The adding some weld is something I could do. How much to add? I could also get new spreader bars made by water jet cutting if I make a CAD drawing. The question then is how much longer do they need to be? I have bought all the bits from Milner so hopefully quality is good.

So any tips and tricks gratefully received as it seems like I can learn a lot from other people experiences.

Well firstly welcome. Secondly, the handbrake is a dreadful design, but correctly adjusted is very effective. For as long as it works of course.
Adding weld - couple of mm really. Not precise. But I have a stock of extended spreaders in stainless so don't mess around getting any made. These are already laser cut.

Hi Chris, Thanks for the welcome. Have you got some of the spreader bars for sale? If so how much?

Regards Graeme

Mmm good thread. Have had same issue with HB.
May also be interested in better spreader bars

I can only dream of such a reaction when I pull up on mine :neutral:
You to could do 'J' 'U'and 'O' turns, I do them all the time in my dreams.

No seriously, the slightley longer 'Dog Bone' as they call, them have made a difference, but I hardly use the hand brake on my Auto 100.

I do have about 50 pairs actually. But this isn't going to be helpful. I can't remember how much they worked out at just now and I only have 3 pairs with me at home.

I stripped and rebuilt my handbrake assy last year. It's never been apart before apart from just putting new discs on. Now one of the 4 shoe retaining pins were OK but one had corroded and taken on the same shape as in the picture above. Sideways stress on that shape pin would in fact cause it to go that shape but there is not much sress. As it was still strong I bent it back to shape and reassembled. Very strange.

I lengthened the 'dog bones' by 5mm - it made a great difference to my '90'.

The handbrake on my auto '100' is rubbish - even with the longer dog bones. That is partly due to the torque of the 4.2 litre diesel. Put it in 'D' and it overpowers the brake on tickover !
Bob.

Only just seen your reply Chris! Don't know how I missed it. Would you sell me a pair?

Regards Graeme

Well they are for sale for sure. Let me find out how much they were.

Back