Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Central Locking not working in the morning

joshcork

Hi All,

I've had my awesome Prado GXL Diesel for about 5 years and recently the central locking is too lazy in the morning or perhaps when cold to work.

Once I've run the car for a while and later during the day its all good

Does anyone else have this issue?
Is the battery starting to fail on me?

Opinions are welcome thanks

Hi Josh and welcome.

This sounds like a corroded or loose connection or a broken wire or a dirty switch.

This is generic information as you've not given any information aside from your truck being diesel and a Prado. You need to update your signature line and while you're about it pop on over to the 'introduce yourself' section and do just that. I don't mean this to sound like I'm giving you a hard time. We're a friendly helpful bunch on here and the more you can tell us about your truck the better.

On this one, if your battery were starting to fail you would notice it failing to crank the engine over at normal speed.
One way to check that this is not the problem would be to connect a charger to the battery and turn it on before you first try the central locking.

When are you having this problem, Is it on the key, on a remote or on the internal switch. Try all that you have. Does it try to go but is sluggish, or does it not go until for example the key is wiggled, and when it does go is it sluggish or at normal speed.
More info needed Josh, more info. :)

Things to try.
Remove the central locking fuse and check for corrosion on it and the terminals in its holder, and try another fuse. While it's not working, try wiggling the wires by the door hinge while holding the button down. Have you had water come into the car from the windscreen?

Best wishes
Richard

Thanks for your awesome reply Richard
I've updated my signature with a bit more info

I tested some of what you mentioned yesterday morning and made sure if wasn't the battery.
I'll try more fiddling with the fuse tomorrow.

The problem is only when the car is cold in the morning. Not moving the car at all to warm up in the afternoon sun and it'll work no problem.

Same for locking or unlocking.

If key is used in the driver door, at any time, the central locking works fine, locking or unlocking.

I'll head over and introduce myself now :)

Sounds daft but clean your battery terminals before tearing your truck apart looking for more complicated problem .

If you're operating it from a remote switch fob, or a button switch on the key itself (sorry, don't know the Prado set-up) I'd suggest fitting a set of new batteries in the fob/key.

My remote alarm/central locking fob started to malfunction in the middle of last year, and it made me realize that it was 10 years old, used several times each and every day, making some likely 10,000 uses since fitted.

It worked a treat afterwards, good for another 10 years :lol:

Ok, good work Josh. So, at all times the C/L works without fail on the key. That means the main C/L system is working well.

Does it also work on the internal switch just as well? I would imagine so. Bearing in mind I don't know your truck or the Prados workings, is your remote a Toyota OEM unit or an aftermarket remote central locking or alarm unit?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I would go with Clive's suggestion and change the batteries in the fob in the first place. Cheap test.

Hi All,

I've had my awesome Prado GXL Diesel for about 5 years and recently the central locking is too lazy in the morning or perhaps when cold to work.

Once I've run the car for a while and later during the day its all good

Does anyone else have this issue?
Is the battery starting to fail on me?

Opinions are welcome thanks

I had the same issue a few weeks back with my 120 Prado, didn't matter which battery operated key fob I used of the two I have, neither would work in the morning, but would in the afternoon. Using the metal keys, the system worked fine any time of day.

Replacing the battery in each key fob solved the issue immediately. Look in your instruction manual for the correct battery number, buy the batteries first, then do the swap - rather than opening the key fob to look for the battery number as there might be an incorrect battery installed in the fob.

Easy cure for me, hope it works for you.

I have the same issue!

I put it down to the key battery, but cannot understand why...

When I get to the car in the morning ( or evening if I am on nights) it can take a few presses to get the door unlocked.

Once it has opened once or twice it works fine.

Works perfectly on the key!

This sounds so much like the battery. It would be good to hear if changing the battery cures it. I have had remotes (garage door) play up with fairly new coin cells in them. I believe there are old stock ones being sold on eBay and the like that dont give the current but show as being at the full voltage. Most annoying. !!

Yep problem solved after changing the battery in the key fob
Took a little bit of running around to find but all good now :)

Thanks for all the suggestions

Anytime. What goes around comes around, that's the whole essence of this forum! Thank the guys that keep it up and running!!

Thanks for posting your result Josh. Glad it was a simple solution and it's now sorted. :thumbup:

It was bound to happen some time Clive, give a monkey a typewriter....
Careful Nick you might find yourself banished to the bench in the garden when we arrive in August.

Back