Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Challenge, Cruiser on the road for under a grand.

Bit further progress today with the improvements to the Collie.
I removed the sidesteps which were slightly bent, quite remarkably every nut and bolt came undone without heat. The steel side brackets are slightly rusty but still strong so I'll have them blasted and either painted or powder coated, either way they should outlast the truck.
IMG_2652.JPG

Doesn't look bad without them on TBF.

IMG_2654.JPG

Another job I had to do was to fix the central locking which had been disabled due to a 5A drain. The culprit was a live wire in the N/S/F door catching the window regulator. Fixed that and replaced the fuse and we've got central locking again.
Next job is to replace the bulb in the "D" in the gear selection display.

I'll keep working my way through it till every single thing works as it should.

Another great job Andy, you get all the easy ones !
Regarding sidesteps, wait until the Mrs moans about getting in/out, mine are off the 120 at the moment awaiting fitment of others, and I get it in the ear every time.

Regarding sidesteps, wait until the Mrs moans about getting in/out

Maria doesn't like it all that much. We sold the Yaris and she uses the 120 to go to work. She had to take the Collie on Friday while her 120 was MOT'd. She wasn't impressed yet she liked the D4D Collie to drive ( that was before she drove the 120 regularly).

It looks cleaner without the side steps, unfortunately for me my Partners Father needs transporting occasionally and needs the steps to haul himself in.

Is it much of a faff to change the D light bulb, as mine has just gone too?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Is it much of a faff to change the D light bulb, as mine has just gone too?
I did mine on my Collie and you'll need to remove the steering cowling and cluster hood. Its a little fiddly, all the fixings are easily accessible but satisfying once you've got all nice new bulbs in. Should take no more than an hour :thumbup:

My P bulb is intermittent on the cluster now. it will light up at first start of engine, then will go off until the next start?

Found the below from another forum, steps to remove cluster, see attachment. Sounds straight forward.

Attachments

• 8B36F0B5-531F-4885-8DB7-E801C523B8A7.jpeg
    8B36F0B5-531F-4885-8DB7-E801C523B8A7.jpeg
    245.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Up early this morning and cracked on:-

The front discs were quite scored although the brakes worked well enough I didn't like the look of them so I treated the truck to these;-

IMG_2661.JPG
they look a bit better through the spokes than these:-

IMG_2662.JPG

Fitted, very quick job
IMG_2664.JPG

While i was in the mood for changing stuff I thought I'd try this change:-

IMG_2665.JPG

IMG_2666.JPG

Now I've done it I'm not sure about the look.

Thats a popular swap over here, although it doesn't do the same offset trick as 80 alloys . It dies freshen it though, and is a good reminder that the 90 is one of the most handsome trucks out there and has aged very well in single tone colour form.

although it doesn't do the same offset trick as 80 alloys
I tried a set of 80 alloys on it with 275's on, they were a bit scabby so didn't perhaps get the hook.
They really want a 2" lift to look right.

IMG_2511.JPG

IMG_2512.JPG

I think the aftermarket wheels have a different offset and are just in a fraction.
We'll leave these 120 ones on a while and see how it gets on.
I might see what it looks like with some 30mm spacers I have.

For me the 80 series ones look spot on. Albeit some “adjustment” is required to get them to work?

I liked the look of these latest small rims big rubber. If it fits I ll try 16 or 17 inch ones with big rubber. If there is more rubber, we can play with aggressive tyres with big ridges extending to the side and that completes a tough look.
With 20 inch wheels n thin rubber, above aggressive grill n body, it looks like a bodybuilder with slim girls legs :)

IMG_0017.JPG

Come from the blasters and powder coaters today. All the sidestep brackets and a couple of nearly new 80 backplates. All the bolts came undone when I was taking them off so that was a bonus and they were so solid and little rust that I thought I'd give them a little refresh before fitting them to the straight steps I bought ( on which the brackets were in a real state).
Having run it without the sidesteps for a while I think their convenience outweighs the "look".

Back