Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Challenge, Cruiser on the road for under a grand.

Ha! I think/know you got the wrong end of the "Challenge" stick there Iwan:laughing-rolling:

Thanks for the positives there lads, I know now that I nicked it as it turned out better than it first appeared.Turns out the spare is a brand new Grandtrek so with two new ones the same that came on the "Black One" I only have one more to find.
They must have produced the V6 in GX form cos this is one.

Sounds like it's only getting better Andy :lol: :clap:

You jammy......... I mean...what a result, your gamble has paid off. Top man for salvaging a truck that has so much more to give. You'll be grinning from ear to ear behind the wheel of such a great condition cruiser for such a small outlay.

Nice to hear that all she needs after such a long lay up is a good service and some new boots. Enjoy.

You jammy......... I mean...what a result, your gamble has paid off. Top man for salvaging a truck that has so much more to give. You'll be grinning from ear to ear behind the wheel of such a great condition cruiser for such a small outlay.

Nice to hear that all she needs after such a long lay up is a good service and some new boots. Enjoy.

Cheers that man Scott, BTW hows the family?

Nice find Andy, you sure got a bargain there mate. :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That is a serious bargain Andy.. I've never driven a V6 collie, but I believe they are quite smooth, so it might be worth running for that money. I always hope to find something like that, but unfortunately this country is full of misers who are constantly on the make for a few quid.. even utter rubbish gets sold for crazy inflated prices here

A quick revisit to this thread finds me with a taxed tested and insured petrol V6 Collie on the road.
Did I do it for less than a grand?
Firstly this was a project which had to be put on hold for a few months as it decided to not start soon after getting it back and so that had to be sorted out. I knew it was fuel related as it would run on brake cleaner introduced to the inlet manifold. As it had been stood since 2011 and had only done 959 miles since 2009 then the fuel stood every chance of being more than stale.
About 5 weeks ago I set to and my target was Dec 1st completion. Tank was removed and drained and a new in tank pump was installed and tank was re installed with 5 gallons of new fuel, still it wouldn't start.
It was still a fuel related problem so I towed it down to the local diagnostic wizard and let him sort it.
Next day drives back running in a fashion but starting on the key, an immobiliser/ECU related problem sorted which cut power to the fuel pump.
Next job drop the oil, which stank of petrol and replace with 10/40 mineral truck oil to run for a week or two to give the engine a clean and start the servicing process. 6 new plugs greatly enhanced the running as I'm sure the ones which came out were the original factory Denso's, fuel and air filters replaced, wiper blades too.
The brakes were the next area to receive attention, the front discs being in good condition with the rears fair. All the pads were half worn and the calipers whilst being rusty were as free as the day they left the factory which was a bonus. I decided to replace all the pads and the rear discs which was a straight forward job and all the handbrake items were like new so not disturbed.
The two large rear lenses were replaced with the ones I bought from Sag on here as they were both holed and I could sense the finishing line was in sight.
The wheels were rubbed down and aerosoled up and fitted with a pair Bridgestone Duellers I had from the Black Collie and I bought an exact matching pair of the same on Ebay so I had a matching set of 4.

The final bill stacks up something like this:-
Cost of vehicle £ 535
In tank pump £ 90
Diagnostic charge £100
2x Bridgestone Duellers £80
2x Rear discs £56
2x Rear lights S/h £40
Front brake pads (gen) £49
Rear pads (from Sag) £10
Filters and wiper blades £50

Total £1010.
MOT £25

So. I didn't quite do it, the way I did it in the end. I could have left the brakes as they were and they would have been quite serviceable for at least 5K miles and saved a bit, also I had a decent pair of half worn 265/70's I could have used would have saved me buying the Bridgestones, but I do have a quite presentable, very solid Collie for still not a lot which is now totally road ready.

However it sailed through the MOT with no advisors , was taxed half an hour later and man, do I like it.
It swooshes along with no rattles or squeaks, very quiet engine with quite surreal effortless acceleration. We will see how the fuel consumption works out as I've brimmed it with £97 worth of Shells finest.

Thanks for reading.

BTW it took about 40 hours of spare time over 5 weeks, completion day 2nd Dec.

Reactions: Ben
Sounds like a right clunker to me. Tell you what, I'll pop round tomorrow and check it out for you. Got some old bits and pieces I could swap you for it.

HANG ON!! Where the F did you get 40 hours of spare time?

Hi Andy that is looking good wee like pics so let have pics good job

Well done Andy :clap: it seems to take me at least that long to change a bulb of late :|

That was a great read. A photo of how she looks now would be good:)
Also looking forward to hearing about the mpg.
Cheers

That was a great read. A photo of how she looks now would be good:)
Also looking forward to hearing about the mpg.
Cheers
Will get a couple of photos up shortly, will monitor fuel to see how it compares with the D4D compared with the ratio of what I have in them moneywise. At the minute I have 4x as much in the D4D as the V6.

That's good way of looking at it.

I don't know how many miles you do, but for any low mileage drivers out there petrol is well worth a look.

At the moment , not too many. In the past I have run 80 petrols with LPG and found them acceptable for the size of vehicle but the fuel consumption on gas was very low. I wouldn't consider putting LPG on this Collie, I'd spend it on petrol instead. When I was running the 80's my fuel bill was about £150 combined per week ( about a tank of each) but I do a lot less miles now and I fill the D4D up with about 15gallons/fortnight.

Looking forward to the pics and further running reports. :icon-cool: :thumbup:

Would be interested to see how you think the 3.4v6 compares against your d4d, and across the other series too. I've got 100k miles and 12+ years of experience of the petrol Collie but nothing to compare that against - it's all I know first hand.

Back