Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Colorado Brakes

silvercruiser

Hello
my post about the water pump has got me making a list up of what parts i need and then i started thinking how C##p my brakes have always been so found these on ebay do you reckon they will make much difference :?: 300291444301 ebay item

or are thew brakes on colorados rubbish.

Joe

Dont have a problem with the performance of my brakes. At times they pulse when i apply light pressure. Passed MOT so for now I'm not too concerned..

Joe the brakes on a 90 can be pretty good but they need a bit of looking after. Left alone they sieze ups bit and performance tails off. Sometimes good flush through and a work over of the pistons is enough. A full rebuild is not hard and increase in stopping power is noticable. I've just done back and front and handbrake and it's as good as new I reckon.

Chris

silvercruiser said:
Hello
my post about the water pump has got me making a list up of what parts i need and then i started thinking how C##p my brakes have always been so found these on ebay do you reckon they will make much difference :?: 300291444301 ebay item

or are thew brakes on colorados rubbish.

Joe

I like my 90´s brakes, I think they are better than most of other 4x4´s. Have you checked your LSV (Load Sensing Valve)? It might be stucked and you have not decent rear brakes any more... I think it´s useless and I have tied it to maximum position. Much better brake feeling, no nose down syndrome like before.

Hello and thanks for the replies

I will have a good look next time im working on the l/c which will be pretty soon when im doing the water pump.

Joe

I'm tackling my brakes this weekend, taking Chris's advice by stripping front and rear down to the pistons to check they're not sticking as this could be what's making the rears squeal due to un-even pressure being applied, after that I'm going to flush the system because the fluid in the resevoir is a filthy colour, only problem is I'm using an eezibleed kit which I bought for my landrover, but I don't have a cap to fit the LC resevoir, I've been on e-bay and milners but can't find one, I could have a go at making one up, but it needs to be tight enough for the 20 psi required to operate it, anyone got any ideas or know where I can get one from ?

Nick.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just bought a Gunson Multi Purpose Brake Reservior Cap for Eezibleed off e-bay for £12, sorted !!

Nick.

ps. Chris I've washed and polished it again today to get the volcanic ash off :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ahh brakes,

Well mine pass the MOT every year but as Chris has said they do need looking after. Other than what he has already said, make sure that the calliper sliders are nice and clean and well greased the dust guards are not to clever and let a lot of grime get in (especially if you do a lot of off-roading).

Due to the Anti lock Brake system I have found that the best way to bleed them is in reverse, ie: from the caliper back.

Steve

BlackWidow said:
Ahh brakes,

Well mine pass the MOT every year but as Chris has said they do need looking after. Other than what he has already said, make sure that the calliper sliders are nice and clean and well greased the dust guards are not to clever and let a lot of grime get in (especially if you do a lot of off-roading).

Due to the Anti lock Brake system I have found that the best way to bleed them is in reverse, ie: from the caliper back.

Steve

Hello and thanks Steve im hoping for sometime tomorrow my list is getting longer.

Joe

a change of brake fluid is recomended by toyota every 2 years as it starts to break down & start to corrode seals , hoses ect.on manay older cars this is often neglected.

Hello Everyone i finaly had a day to get on with my brakes so i have been all round and found that one of the pistons was slightly sticking so i have given them a good work over fresh brake grease and a full flush out and i have to say they are excellent now so thank you for all the tips and Also to Chris for the write up on handbrake adjustment, three clicks and its on instead of yanking up to the roof.cheers.

Joe

I've just done the off side rear, I took the caliper off, removed one shoe, pressed the pedal down then removed the caliper and could see all the gunk underneath the rubber on the piston,(only one on the rears) so I cleaned what I could see with brake cleaner, the piston was quite stiff to twist, then I noticed deeper crud furher down towards the caliper, so I pressed the brake pedal until the piston was further out, and then twisted and cleaned as I went, bugger me if the piston didn't pop right out !!!! So I then cleaned it good, popped it back in using a G clamp and then bled the brake with the eezibleed.
Next job I'm doing is the same on the nearside rear, then both front brakes, once I've cleaned all the pistons I'll flush the whole system, then hopefully no more juddery braking at speed !!

Nick.

Joe I've just noticed on your thread that you used brake grease on the pistons, I haven't used anything, is this going to lead to trouble without ? :oops:

Nick.

Hello Nick im not sure if it will give you any probs i only bought the red grease after reading on here that it was good stuff so while i was doing the brakes i thought the more the merrier. if you look up brake grease or red rubber grease it should come up. Im sure the guru's on here will be along soon to help. cheers

Joe

Red rubber grease it is then !
For all you that have done this, have you removed the pistons completely and cleaned/greased them or just what you can see when they're still within the calipers?

Nick.

I removed them completely Nick and put in new seals, boots - the lot. I have plenty of RRG. But Nick the Disco has it at the moment. Need to reclaim it. He was doing his Lass's Fiesta.

Chris

Back