Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Coolant Problem?

[QUOTI E="frank rabbets, post: 1421039, member: 5767"]That was lucky Steve. Water in the cylinder can cause broken piston even on cranking over.[/QUOTE]
I know, drove home a treat!

New AMC head on order, should be here Mon/Tuesday. Gone for the lot, ready built, new gaskets and bolts.
Also have a new water pump coming, just in case. Fingers crossed my mech does another top job and all works well after - I shall take pics of old head before it goes back. As ever, thanks to the group for all the support and advise :)

At last, we are back on the road - just picked it up, new head all nice and shiny, new water pump (much bigger capacity than orig) and EGR blanked off at the same time :) Just driven it back home for 30 mins, drives fine, appears no problems! Got great deal on AMC head complete, so if ever you need a head, talk to Neil at Corry, here - (I met the company owner a couple of years ago here in France and kept his card !)
Hopefully no problems with the CT due next week (MOT) and we should be ready for the Tabernas trip :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good to hear Steve the head thing is the only niggling doubt i have about my truck but your fortnight fix is reassuring that worst case scenario its a pain i can live with :thumbup:

Out of curiosity did the egr delete give you any noticeable difference in performance ?

tbh, all we have done this week is come from garage to home. Saturday will be a good test, good few km + wifey giving it some beans!

Hi Guys - Just an update to say thanks for all the feed backs and advice, I can now say that the LC is back on the road and towing again. A friend of mine had a word with someone he knew in Manchester and had previously had some work done by him. Sol at EuroJap in Stretford. He replaced the complete cylinder head and whilst he was doing that I bought all the parts to replace in and around there knowing they were coming off, i.e. water pump, timing kit, etc, he did it all in the price. I did have to fit another Rad as the new one I replaced started to leak, but the good news it is back on the road. Once again thanks.

its a bugger when it happens! Glad you are back on the road again now :)

:clap: well done for persevering MOZ and long may she last :thumbup:

Just a bit of an update - we had a small leak from an injector on our Tabernas desert trip, nothing serious, just a small drip of Diesel when parked up. Diagnosed as the leak off pipe so we bought a new one........dropped it in to be fitted on Tuesday, today got a call.....wasnt that after all, it was a gland on #4 (the one at the back) Mech took it off and swapped it for #1 to make future possible leaks easier to fix......#1 injector went into #4 hole, no problem......#4 injector kept turning in #1 hole = no f*'n thread! brand new head........clearly, mech over tightened 1st time round :(. Now needs helicoiling - anyone ever done this? bugger bugger bugger

Assuming its the same garage Steve why is it your concern , they broke it so they fix would be my attitude . I don't see why a helicoil is anything to worry about it just screws in same as the injector itself .

I hope so, never had any experience of helicoiling :( He says it will be OK and to be fair, he is the best guy around. Just unlucky I guess

Can't say i have ever used helicoil but the principal is very simple i would just think of it as an injector with a bigger thread .

wow that's some bad luck, and I've tightened those injectors over spec (by accident) and they've taken it. It must have been significantly over tightened or some kinda of fault in the head (which I doubt)

I think you should be fine with the repair once done well, it just needs to seal well.

its bad luck for sure - I hope it all goes according to plan and is as good as new. :)

We got Truck 'o' Saurus back on Thursday.........it went back on Friday as the repaired injector blew out (he didnt tighten it as much as he should have cos he didnt want it to strip the thread again) Back again this morning with a do or die tightening of said injector. I hope this works!

The problem appears to be with the new head from AMC
The 'Top Hat' that the injector sits in, is longer than the original, stopping the injector reaching the bottom of the hole. The injectors are not threaded all the way down. Apparently there is a 2mm difference from original. Perhaps the 'top Hat' is thicker at the base creating the problem? I have contacted AMC through the supplier in UK, and await a response. This creates a problem as its difficult to seat the injectors, as the washer inside the top hat is 'floating about' - I am no mechanic, but this is how I understand it :)

Beggars believe mate it will be interesting to see how AMC reply .

Back