Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cooling the 1KZ-TE motor:

It may be relevant to this thread that my temp gauge climbing at 80mph was cured by putting new oil in the gearbox i've just returned from a 100 mile round trip much of it covered at 90mph and the gauge don't move at all .

It may be relevant to this thread that my temp gauge climbing at 80mph was cured by putting new oil in the gearbox i've just returned from a 100 mile round trip much of it covered at 90mph and the gauge don't move at all .

If you had a auto box I could see a more plausible reason in change of temp, as the rad shares cooling for the box and the engine, however with the manuals it's not the case. Maybe it's just slicker and smoother, overall less resistance in the box not straining the engine as much as it used to. Whatever it is, it's always good seeing a improvement in temps like this! :clap:

I did wonder about it while grinning like a Cheshire cat and resisting the urge to floor it to see if i could make the gauge move , I certainly haven't done anything else that might effect cooling so decided leverage is the greatest force known to man , and a gearbox is just a bunch of levers or at least it works on the same principal . So if you look at the gearbox as a force multiplier the tiniest bit of resistance there might multiply to the equivalent of pulling a heavy trailer everywhere as the engines working harder all the time .

That's my theory anyway not that it matters i'm just happy to enjoy the unexpected result :icon-biggrin:

It should be noted that i've paid 2 separate garages to change the gearbox oil in 2 years while the truck was in for other work so i can only assume either they didn't do it or they used the wrong oil ?

Last edited:
What temp gauge are you using Shayne? :think:

We tested ours last night after the Viscus strip and re-fill with 10,000cst oil - fan is on pretty well all the time, it makes a nice 'roar' when you want it too! The hill on the way to our friends last night can see the temp gauge hit 99, even 101 once! last night, full boot, only got to 90.1, so a 10 degree difference. Normal chugging about varies between 78 and 82 or 83. However, it 'feels' like the power is down, not by much, but I guess if the fan is on max all the time, it would be!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi guys, today I fitted a new radiator from Roughtrax, 76 deg Toyota stat, new belts, and new Toyota rad hoses.

i haven't refitted the sump guard yet, just wanted to ask, the guard has a pad clipped to the inside of it, I am assuming for noise suppression ?

My question is, will removing this pad before refitting the guard be detrimental in anyway ? My line of thought is that without it there will be better airflow around the bottom end.

cheers, Paul

I tore off all the soundproofing on my sump guard and underbody protection ages ago thinking it just gets wet and adds weight and never noticed any difference .

I don't think removing it will change the temp. From personal experience it does dampen engine noise a little, as well vibration.

A lazy thermostat seems a promising culprit and replacing the original with a 76 degree stat seems like a good idea so i was about to order one when it occurred to me to search for a TRD stat . I haven't yet found one specific to the 1kz-te but I am wondering about the one in the link below which offers a 71 degree operating temp .

Would it fit and would the extra -5 degree be worth the wait do you think ?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TRD-Ther...96-4-2002-11-5VZ-FE-16340-SP010-/301488262397

Ebay of course but i have found them listed on TRD'S own website .

I've found 10,000cst silicone oil (intended for shock absorbers) for the viscous but can't find a reliable source of info regarding how much i need ?

Seems too much will engage the clutch constantly which kind of negates the viscosity benefits ?

Any thoughts ?

Mine is on now all the time - ok power is down a bit, but temp is at least 10-12 degrees cooler. Havent managed more than 95 deg yet.......runs around 78-82 trundling around. As for amount, I gave my mech 2xtubes of 59ml and didnt get any back, my guess is he used about 90ml, maybe a bit more. From ebay RC car diff oil I think!

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Oh yes, I have a 76 deg stat

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

hi Shayne, posted a thread on the fan oil a few months ago . using the 10k weight oil i think i used 60ml. you had better check the post first though. comes on then dies as it should. temps now never go above 92 deg even when working hard. using too much oil in the fan can mean the fan stays on too much. the higher weight in oil means it comes on earlier though.

hope this helps.

Thanks Mall i can't find your thread but i was up half the night reading random forum posts found on google and 60ml of 10,000 cst sounds about right to me . General consensus is they aren't filled enough at the factory and 50ml of 3000 cst is what the book says so yeah 60 of 10k kinda doubles the chance of improvement .

The egr valve is ecu controlled. It has 2 functions:-

1. Reducing pollution.
2. Cooling the engine by allowing less oxygen into the combustion chamber when appropriate.

You know I was banging on about how much cooler the engine runs? Well, today on the flat, it was 98 - 101 degrees, mind you, this is after a series of long uppy downy hilly bits, and........the temp in the shade was 40 degrees! When we came out of the Super market, outside temp read 56 degrees in the sun mind! After arriving home I let the engine run, air con off full heater on whilst we unloaded, and it dropped to 92 or something before I shut it off!
Scorchio! Expected to nudge beyond 40 tomorrow pm and I have a massive new mowing job to do :(

It's been a very pleasant 27C today, our turn will come mid July to mid August .....

hmm this does make me worry a bit, to how my KZ will be in this hot Florida sun! Highs of 40+Celsius! I'll definitely need the 78 degree stat. Where's best to pick one up? Maybe Toyota over here has them...

I'll definitely need the 76 degree stat. Where's best to pick one up? Maybe Toyota over here has them...

:eusa-whistle:

DSCN8214.jpg

Enjoy !

Bob.

Back