Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Correct diff oil level...?

Lorin

Can anybody tell me what the correct oil fill level is for the front diff? Is it to the fill plug level or a set amount below it?

I have a badly leaking diff pinion despite having just had the seal replaced. I undid the diff fill plug to top up the oil and a lot more oil poured out :? I assume the diff had been overfilled and this may be a reason for the leaking diff pinion..... I cant really do anything about it other than make sure the oil level is correct as I'm currently in Croatia!

To the bottom on the filler hole is good.
If you get any back pressure when taking out filler then check the breather. People can overfill sometimes when shoving in a load of oil especially if its cold as it doesnt run back out quickly but it does when hot.

Lorin, it won't leak because it's over filled, but it may leak more if overfilled and if the breather is blocked. Fill the diff til oil just appears at the hole. It's good enough. That is how the main dealer does it because I asked them. If the oil runs a little lower, your seal will probably stop leaking. At this point there is probably still enough oil in there. The diff input shaft is quite near the top of the oil level. As the oil warms up, and the axle etc the oil will expand. So if you filled it when cold, you may find oil coming out when it's warm. If the air can't be displaced in the axle it will push oil out of any seal etc. I'm sure you know about the axle breathers, but just in case, there is a rubber pipe on the top of the axle going into an odd looking block. If you pull this pipe off the axle and you hear a whoosh or hiss when warm it means you have a blocked breather. The little top hats on the top of the pipe tend to get crusted up. Find that and give it a wiggle and twist.

If you are losing oil and everything else if fine, then as long as you don't run out of oil or run it very low at least the don't worry. At night, try to park facing a little downhill. This will stop you losing oil when parked up.

Chris

What colour is the oil? I had an overflow of oil when checking the level, but it was a grey colour because of water being sucked in from a failed seal. oil fill level is when it flows from the hole, I think,
Say hello to Robb for me. :thumbup:

Thank you for the info guys. I'll go check the breather and fill it to the correct level. Much appreciated :thumbup:

Chas, I'll pass on your regards.

Chris said:
..... The little top hats on the top of the pipe tend to get crusted up. Find that and give it a wiggle and twist.
The little top hat is the work of the devil :evil: it has a one way valve that allows air to escape from the axle but, it does not allow air into the axle while cooling down :doh:

The result being, as the axle cools to sucks CV grease back in through the seals :roll:

Just remove the thing from the breather tube and launch it into a field somewhere... if you plan on going paddling in deep water though, you will need to extend the breather tube :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
IMG00130-20110327-1136.jpg

Bat21 said:
Chris said:
..... The little top hats on the top of the pipe tend to get crusted up. Find that and give it a wiggle and twist.
The little top hat is the work of the devil :evil: it has a one way valve that allows air to escape from the axle but, it does not allow air into the axle while cooling down :doh:

The result being, as the axle cools to sucks CV grease back in through the seals :roll:

Just remove the thing from the breather tube and launch it into a field somewhere... if you plan on going paddling in deep water though, you will need to extend the breather tube :thumbup:

Yes it's a good idea to junk the one way valve but you can't just leave the hose open to the elements. I suggest you remove the old hose and fit a suitable long length of reinforced rubber hose to exit high up in the engine bay. Coil the last 200mm or so and cap the hose with a motorcycle style push in fuel filter. Allow enough hose to compensate for axle movement. Fuel hose is the best but don't use plastic as it will harden with age.

Roger

i think adding a filter to the end is slightly overkill. just ensure its high and dry in the engine bay and the end turned to face down. if you have a snorkel, run the breathers up the snorkel and turn the ends down.

Back