Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Costly parts.

frank rabbets

Guru
I thought I would recon the brake and clutch MC's and clutch Slave cylinder. They are not leaking but obviously 22 year old.

The cost of those 3 items together with head lamp relay = £247-38p. after about 15% discount from Toyota Stourbridge. Costly cars to keep on the road. Better get my 40 year old cylinder honer cleaned off.

Did you try Simon (our friendly neigbourhood Toyota dealer)? You may have got a bigger discount....IIRC can be around 30% on some parts.

£250 is not very expensive in the scheme of things IMHO - an 80 series wasn't exactly a cheap car when it was new and parts are usually in line with that and (again IMHO) actually quite reasonable.

Plus remember, you're only changing because you want to recon/maintain a 22 year old truck and not due to them actually failing..... on a modern day car, costing the equivalent of an 80 today (say £35k), I would guess those parts would come to same, if not more.....

:)

No I did not try Simon. I just assume I get roughly the same discount. Toyota here is only 2 miles away and if a part is ordered incorrectly or not needed I always get a full refund.

Hi Frank, you can get refurb kits from Toyota for the master and slave cylinders, I think they are about £30.

I thought I would recon the brake and clutch MC's and clutch Slave cylinder. They are not leaking but obviously 22 year old.

The cost of those 3 items together with head lamp relay = £247-38p. after about 15% discount from Toyota Stourbridge. Costly cars to keep on the road. Better get my 40 year old cylinder honer cleaned off.

Was that price inc VAT?
I'd be ringing Bigg Red in Worcester for seal kits to have on the shelf. Its the way to ensure you will never need them.

Did you try Simon (our friendly neigbourhood Toyota dealer)? You may have got a bigger discount....IIRC can be around 30% on some parts.

£250 is not very expensive in the scheme of things IMHO - an 80 series wasn't exactly a cheap car when it was new and parts are usually in line with that and (again IMHO) actually quite reasonable.

Plus remember, you're only changing because you want to recon/maintain a 22 year old truck and not due to them actually failing..... on a modern day car, costing the equivalent of an 80 today (say £35k), I would guess those parts would come to same, if not more.....

:)

The LC was dearer than the top RR in its day and virtually everything else at the time. I'd say it was like buying an £80k truck today.
Its a pity the new parts don't depreciate in line with the vehicles,
Good point about the parts not have failed, they aren't likely too either with Franks sympathetic driving style.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
When I changed the clutch on my 80 about 6 months ago, I had the master and the slave replaced with OEM units, not refurb kits. I dont remember the price, but it wasnt as much of a shock as I expected.

There was nothing wrong with the old originals AFAIK, in fact I think they’re dangling from a nail somewhere in my shed.

The clutch works beautifully though...

On Amayama:

Part 04311-60100 master cylinder kit is £12.88 from UAE
Part 04313-60110 slave cylinder kit is £7.58 from Japan and £11.49 from UAE.

Plus posting and taxes etc. Would definitely be under £50 though.

Or ask Chapel Gate to get them for you!

As with most vehicles, some parts will seem very reasonably priced while others will seem way OTT! A good point made though about the 80 being a top end vehicle in it’s day.
On a more modern theme I paid just over £600 5 years ago for a new rad on the bike and that was with £50 discount. It’s about 1/4 the size of the rad in an 80.

Too late they are here. I am very surprised at the huge difference in price though. The only consolation is that if there is something wrong it will be easier to put right here rather than abroad. Price I quoted included VAT.

An oe master and slave cylinder were less than that for my 60 from Simon if I recall. That’s not refurb kits but actual replacement parts

By coincidence Friday I was called out to look at a TD5 with soft clutch pedal and difficulty engaging gears, I guessed master or slave cylinders having a leak but no, it was a pipe that comes from the anti surge switch (shuts off fuel between gear shifts) which is on the opposite side of the engine bay.

A basic pipe with a flare at one end and a small length of rubber pipe, apparently to absorb engine movement...which it didn't! It had rubbed through at the rear of the engine, I could repair but this is a LR parts only customer.

So what does a pipe like this cost, no not 25 euros, not 100, it was a rediculous €251.00!!!!

You do however get a pressure test certificate....woo bloody hoo!

It is an awkward job to fit, made even tougher by the nut that secures the pipe to the slave cylinder not being correctly formed to be 13mm, so too big for a 13mm and way too small for a 14mm!

Yes I did dig out the oldest 13mm I had and run a file between the flats, I could not get an adjustable in there so, shoddy manufacturing workmanship and ludicrous price all in one package!

How does the man in the street stop such way off prices that are impossible to justify? I checked out a UK supplier who had what appeared to be an aftermarket offering at 153.00 plus VAT, plus postage, still not justifiable!

Regards

Dave

I should have been slower in hindsight. I googled the part numbers one evening and lots of sites including ebay said they were out of stock. This made me panic and phone Toyota next morning to make sure i could get them.

£60 to your door frank. So your even saving on diesel!
If your worried about availability i can get you just under 2000 of the rebuild kits..:icon-biggrin:

Land Rover Standard then… just like the vehicles :)

Yeh a shame really, I had the Discovery and it was a proper work horse including competition work, great motor but anything that could leak a fluid of any kind......did!

Regards

Dave

Yeh a shame really, I had the Discovery and it was a proper work horse including competition work, great motor but anything that could leak a fluid of any kind......did!

Regards

Dave
I agree it is a shame. Had they been leak free and reliable maybe Toyota wouldn’t have done so well with the Landcruiser.
I wonder what will happen with the new MOT requirement for no oil drips? A clean off beforehand I presume.

Back