Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cracked screen

Lewis07

Picked up a nasty crack in the windscreen on way down to southern France on Thursday. Will have to get it replaced whilst down here. :(

Are you sure they have laws in France that say you have to be able to see where your going when you drive :shock: ?

Doesn't your (European) insurance cover windscreens?

I got a cracked windscreen on the drive down the south of france last year in the wife's galaxy. I called up my insurance company, as the policy said I had to use their approved repairer. They told me to use whoever i liked and bill them when I got home. They also said that it wasn't illegal to have a cracked windscreen and it wasn't unsafe - because it's only the outer skin that's broken, and it still has enough strength from the ?polymer? interior and internal layer of glass.

I ended up leaving it until I got home to fix it - for a number of reasons:
- Not having to deal with French garage.
- Not risking having a different windscreen fitted (mine was heated and with some IR coating) - didn't want to risk that not being a standard option in France and therefore getting the wrong windscreen.
- Wasn't doing much driving - except for the long slog home.

The only nerve-wracking bit was bombing up the M20 on the way back, zooming past VOSA hidden at the side of the motorway to see them pull out behind me. If they were after me, they didn't catch up!

Once home got it replaced - and it came to > £1,000. So I can quite believe €900-odd.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back