Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Crafty move ?

joinerman

Garage
By the goverment, since advising us lemmings to fill our tanks up they have made an extra 32million squids in duty.

intentional or not what do you all think?

I said either that or there fuel stocks were so high they needed to shift some. Either way i dont like it. Just did as i normally do regarding fuel.

Funny that, I was thinking that today. I think they have hood winked the lemmings amoungst us!

joinerman said:
By the goverment, since advising us lemmings to fill our tanks up they have made an extra 32million squids in duty.

In all likelihood (assuming driving patterns remain the same) this buying binge will be followed by a dip in sales while people burn the extra fuel they have bought, so in the long run I am not sure its made that much difference to the coffers - although it probably has helped the chancellors cash flow.

Sale of jerry cans and the vat on them on the other hand is a different story - the spike in sales will return drop to normal levels - although there might be a flood of 'only used once' cans on fleabay in a few months.

However if you'd like a conspiracy theory: Cameron and Obama discussed the high price of fuel last week and there was talk of releasing oil reserves to ease the price: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17383093 so maybe the goverment wanted to increase sales at current prices before an impending drop in fuel prices - but dont hold your breath waiting for the drop. And the irony of it all is that the subject was raised because Obama is concerned about the high cost of fuel at US pumps. He should come fill up over here!!

joinerman said:

please tell me your not one of these idiots who rushed out and filled up the car and fuel cans, and clogged up all the forecourts, just because some one said there may be a fuel strike that will last one day, in a weeks time! :roll:

Funny I was thinking it could have been a crafty one on behalf of HMRC or the oil boys..... End of financial year etc... Would make me laugh if it puts mud on the face of the unions for increasing the end of year profits for the oil companies and transport contract hauliers.

I filled up 3 vehicles this week, not panic buying they where just empty!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No Ben i didn't rush out & fill up that's something i rarely do cause i can't afford to, did put £30 last saturday

Back