Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cruise control....??

Neither is the 5VZ, that engine has a motor based cable actuator for cruise control.

Just done this to my 2002 colorado, very easy. Anyone know what the other pins in the steering wheel control. From right to left I have horn and c/c red wire on the first tab, c/c black on the second tab. still got 2 tabs left!
Spoke too soon, first test run today and no response from the stalk. Green dash light comes on when pressing the end of the stalk but nothing else works. Any ideas anyone? 2002 colorado d4d auto.
cheers

Last edited:
It's all there Jureb, you just connect the wires from the stalk into the empty positions shown in the block.

Toyota in the 90s/00s made standard wiring looms with everything there.. the optional extras were simply bolt on and plug in. Mine has no A/C, but the wiring is there, same for electric seats, same for the inclinometer unit on the dash top... etc...

Hiya, hope all is well, I have a Auto KDJ-95 that I am trying to retrofit with cruise control. (ecu swap to euro spec, it's a long story)

I can get the cruise light to show, but can't preform any actions, like setting a speed or anything else. I have been trying to use a three wire CC switch, but I don't think it's working correctly/has the correct resistance.

Would anybody be able to kindly supply the resistances for each action on the two wire CC Switch used for the 1KD? I cannot find it documented anywhere unfortunately

The photo attached is of my switch, and it was from a KZJ-95, so it's not working correctly.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20231105_125526.jpg
    20231105_125526.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 23
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Welcome, I'd guess you're trying to use the CC stalk from a petrol 90, it won't work, as won't one from an 80. I tried the swap from my V6 Collie ( Prado) onto my KDJ 95 and it didn't work.
You need the 2 wire stalk from a Yaris ,Avensis etc from the same era. Hope this helps.

Welcome, I'd guess you're trying to use the CC stalk from a petrol 90, it won't work, as won't one from an 80. I tried the swap from my V6 Collie ( Prado) onto my KDJ 95 and it didn't work.
You need the 2 wire stalk from a Yaris ,Avensis etc from the same era. Hope this helps.
Thank you for the insight
I tried to use the three wire one from a diesel 1KZ prado 90 series, but no good. Can only turn the CC on or off.

I have ordered one of the two wire ones was mentioned in one of the posts here, and will report back. Hopefuly all goes well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231105_185940_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20231105_185940_AliExpress.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 21
I bought a 2 wire one stalk and it works on my kd95. Now I have to figure out how to mount it...

Now I have to figure out how to mount it...

Look back through this thread, I mounted mine with a 6mm bolt and a hole drilled through the steering wheel mounting in the right place. I've done a few for people in the past all the same way.
Best single mod you can do on a KD95.

Absolutely correct Andy.. had the 95 out over the weekend for a 200 mile motorway run.. Cruise is fantastic... I cannot understand why it wasn't fitted as standard when it's all there bar the stalk.

So, I tried to use the two wire one, and hey, I have cruise control.... But just the light on the dash. Can't set a speed, with techstream plugged in, it dosent remember any speed that I try to set. I have the wiring from the CC control to the ecu correct, and the wiring for the indicator done right too. I know that this ecu also supports cruise control.

Anyone have any ideas? Not sure what else I would be missing. Mine is an auto, so everything else is there I would assume.

To add to my retrofit issues, I have the expected voltage drop values from Toyotas 2000 1KD 90 series workshops manuals (as attached), and I am not getting the expected values when measuring across the pins at ecu in testing. To me, this seems to be the wrong resistor values from the CC switch. Still looking for for someone to who is willing to test the switch resistances on a known good CC setup on a 2000-2002 KDJ 90 series, it would be such a massive help! Or I may be able to work it out, given a know in voltage and what the expected drop is...

I have also attached what the voltage drops (taken at 11.8v) have been, please excuse my terrible handwriting! Left to right, the right is the action performed (eg push up to RES/ACC) and then what action the output voltage drop is closest to, based on what the workshop manual expects.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20231115_190825_Drive.jpg
    SmartSelect_20231115_190825_Drive.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20231115_190303.jpg
    20231115_190303.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 18
Can't help with voltage.. but I will ask the ridiculous obvious question.. I presume you went past 30mph or so when testing.. it doesn't work below about that.

Can't help with voltage.. but I will ask the ridiculous obvious question.. I presume you went past 30mph or so when testing.. it doesn't work below about that.
Haha yes, I sure did, no CC unfortunately : (

For anyone else coming across this thread - I have now successfully completed the wiring and installation of cruise control onto a Jap spec KDJ-95 with a euro spec ecu swap.

My last issue was not the cruise control switch as I had thought, it was that the sense to the required pin for the "Drive" light was not wired it. I was not getting far with the troubleshooting in the workshop manual for the expected voltages because Toyota had their pinout wrong! They were getting me to test the voltage of the PWR HTR pin - I guess you can't take the official repair manuals for gospel.

Anyway, it is now working at it should, and it's such a nice feature to have!

Now onto customising the limited edition blackout dash to have a cruise indicator, as they don't have provision for one from factory....

Attachments

• 20230721_150359.jpg
    20230721_150359.jpg
    592.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20231104_102809.jpg
    20231104_102809.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 15
hello happy for your success...
sadly these all works fine with d4d but nothing i see here for 1kzte. SAAADLYY

if somone know how to do Cruise Control for 1kzte please post it. (diesel automatic)

Model: KD-KZJ95W-GKPST
Frame: KZJ95-0066290

THANKS!!!!!!

So anyone following along, I have now modified my blackout type dash to have a cruise control indicator. After lots of poking around with the multimeter, it turns out that the dash (non VSC type) does indeed have the traces already included for a cruise control indicator, the symbol is just not printed on there.

After designing and ordering some custom stickers from sticker mule, I started to hack away at the dash to make provision for the symbol.

20240113_151356.jpg

The blank closest to the security light is the one you want to cut out - this is for jap spec, non VSC type dash. The lighting gell (the bit that sets the indicators colour) is behind it. The one on this blank is white, so I popped a green led in behind. The gell layer is removed in this photo as you can see straight through to the bulb holder.

20240113_152413.jpg

Have now covered it with my custom blackout sticker.

20240116_210516.jpg

Success!
A great wee modification, to add to the already great cruise control mod.

hello happy for your success...
sadly these all works fine with d4d but nothing i see here for 1kzte. SAAADLYY

if somone know how to do Cruise Control for 1kzte please post it. (diesel automatic)

Model: KD-KZJ95W-GKPST
Frame: KZJ95-0066290

THANKS!!!!!!
Hi Laszlo, just wondering if there was some progress/an update on this topic. Also got a 1KZ-TE in a KZJ95 and would love a fix for installing CC :)

Back