Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cruise control....??

Sounds like a loose connection to be honest.. if it works sometimes and not others that's most likely. I robbed some connector pins out of an unused connector behind the dash and fitted them to the end of the wires and slotted them into the white connector behind the airbag unit. If these were not tight it could be the problem. Mine has been perfect, and I use it every day.

Enjoy the vino!

Sounds like a loose connection to be honest.. if it works sometimes and not others that's most likely. I robbed some connector pins out of an unused connector behind the dash and fitted them to the end of the wires and slotted them into the white connector behind the airbag unit. If these were not tight it could be the problem. Mine has been perfect, and I use it every day.

Enjoy the vino!
That Sir, is very good advice ! Outside the box and gets the right results...
It was a large glass of Shiraz .... One of my favourites. Cheers Bob.

That Sir, is very good advice ! Outside the box and gets the right results...
It was a large glass of Shiraz .... One of my favourites. Cheers Bob.
And now for the final post methinks.
The fault was in the stalk, the on off button on the end is comprised of a sliding copper terminal which makes the connection, it is retained by a plastic clip .. which was in a number of bits which left the copper terminal loose. Gorilla super glue applied under and over the terminal aided by a little spray of soudal activator, bingo .. hard as rock. All back together green light goes on and off with the button now Happy days ... cheers Rob

Good stuff Rob.. you'll wonder how you ever survived without it...

And I'll continue to wonder why Toyota didn't just fit it to begin with... baffling

You will need: 88280-14030 (Clutch switch assembly) & 84632-34011 (Stalk)

Remove the airbag unit (I always disconnect the battery for this bit) and run the cables into the connector on the clock spring. On this - the wires connect to the pins next to the horn wire, red to the right then black.

The stalk itself has to be mounted to the steering wheel frame - as Andy suggested, it uses a bracket to do this. I didn't have this bracket, so I made with some light aluminium that I forgot to take a picture of - but holds it steady as a rock.

Then replace the bolt that limits clutch pedal return with the switch unit seen here. The wiring loom for this is already in place. it can be found taped to the bulkhead up near the steering column.

View attachment 113706

hi Bob,
Can you take a picture of where you connect the clutch pedal switch wires?
I will order the necessary elements but before I would like to check if the connector exists on my model

thanks for this !

Have a look at the YouTube video I linked about 10 posts back. Shoes where the stuff is on a 120 series, but it's in the same place on a 90 series. The loom and connector is taped to the bulkhead up behind the steering wheel and it simply plugs in.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Have a look at the YouTube video I linked about 10 posts back. Shoes where the stuff is on a 120 series, but it's in the same place on a 90 series. The loom and connector is taped to the bulkhead up behind the steering wheel and it simply plugs in.
Thanks, i see the video... but for this moment i don't see the connector for the clutch switch... I hope it's me who does not find it!

is it possible that he is not present?
there are cases where this is not happening?

my modele is a kdj 95 of 2001, the next generation before the 120... i hope it's possible !

I order the necessary parts, in the hope !!!

It will definitely be there if it's a euro spec KDJ95. The connector is not easy to find, it's quite a long way up above the pedals. I had to lie on my back in the footwell and reach up behind the dash. But it is there! It has to be pulled from the bulkhead and unraveled to reach the clutch. The same procedure can be used on a variety of Toyota models.
I would offer to help but I'm not going to France on holiday this year for the first time in a while!

thank you for this information BOB ... it is actually a European model.
I therefore order parts and find them by their arrival!

thank you for your proposal to come help me, I would have received you with great pleasure!

hi guy,

I need your knowledge to solve my little problem. I finally got the stick for cruise control!
I just started editing.
First of all, the clutch switch, perfect, the socket wisely waited behind the fuse box!

however, the stalk is back with a small cable .. but this cable has only two cables, a red and a black! I saw the schema posted above that there were three cables to connect.
the stalk has three taken .. so I will have to do the wiring myself (which is not a problem) but I would just know in what order to connect!
On the steering wheel the socket on hold to well three pins, my stick to good three pin, but how to plug them?

Can anyone help me, please?

i just see this picture... and only 2 cables !!
img_1290-jpg.137292.jpg

i test this.... i hope it's good ;-)

It's good, my cruise control is OK an full fonctional !!!....

thank you all for this wonderful tip !

My Yaris cruise control stalk has just turned up from Amazon cant wait to get it fitted. I went to Warwickshire the other week and was saying to myself how i wish I had cruise control then I found this post, can't believe all I have to do is plug and play. Thanks guys for this Thread

Carl

My Yaris cruise control stalk has just turned up from Amazon cant wait to get it fitted. I went to Warwickshire the other week and was saying to myself how i wish I had cruise control then I found this post, can't believe all I have to do is plug and play. Thanks guys for this Thread

Carl

Hi Carl, it was a revelation on the D4D Collie when I fitted mine, should take less than an hour.

Hi to all! New member on this wonderful forum! I was wondering if this is the same method to retrofit the stalk at my Prado 90 series petrol with 3.4 cc engine and automatic transmission. Anyone tried on this model? Really appreciate any help!

I don't think it's as easy on the petrol. They still use a throttle cable as opposed to fly-by-wire don't they? In that case there's an actuator unit needed

Hi guys, I have tried this mod on my 2002 D4D auto Colorado & have followed this thread but can't get it to work. I can't even get the cruise light to come on the dash. I bought the 2 wire one of Ebay as suggested.

Last edited:
Hi Paul. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work as per instructions. My only guess is that an auto is slightly different? It will only have one cut out switch on the brake pedal so maybe a different part number on the stalk, but I'd be highly surprised

Yes Bob, it is a little odd & I can't imagine how I could have done it wrong in any way. Its just two wires, red to the right & black to the left correct?

Last edited:
Back