Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

CV Joints

Lexie

Country Flag
great_britain
Been covered before lads i know but whats the latest on getting a good set of CVs.. Roughtrax? Milner?

Not HDK from Milner. The current Roughtrax ones looked pretty good when I got some for a client, but the only guarantee for quality is, I'm afraid, genuine. If it's on road use only as a daily drive then the RT ones should be fine.

At the price of geniune mr T can keep them

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Shame you can't get a rebuild kit. It's probably only the balls and cage that wear. I have often wondered if you could stick aftermarket innards in a genuine shaft

What about the skf ones. They are a good company that only sell top of the range products?

Has anyone 1st hand experiance of the roughtrax cvs or is it all hearsay?

I put some in Des's 80. They were made in Holland iirc. You can't really tell if they are good or bad until they go bad Lexie. So it's a hard question to answer. I had HDKs and they failed catastrophically reversing out of my drive.

as mentioned, genuine is the only piece of mind guarantee. especially if you are hard on them. even at the prices I sell these at they are still relatively speaking, expensive.
if the vast majority of your driving is on road you will be fine with a reasonable after market CV joint.
ive had a blue print number from the local motor factor on the nearside for over 100000 miles, and, dare I say it, a HDK on the off side for about 40000 miles.
I spent months trying to source direct from GKN as an alternative option, in the end I gave up..
I am working on an other option at the moment though..

We fit a pair of Milner jobs about 10,000 miles back and still all good. Truck gets driven hard on the road, but only the odd off road run (unless you count the god awful Manx roads) - certainly no really hard core off roading.

We fit a pair of Milner jobs about 10,000 miles back and still all good. Truck gets driven hard on the road, but only the odd off road run (unless you count the god awful Manx roads) - certainly no really hard core off roading.
I've got a pair of hdk s in my offroader and they have been spot on to be fair. It's had some hard driving too. They are simple to swap and i can have ten hdk s for the price of one genuine.

My current CVs are making a slight clicking on full lock at a certain angle or flex if ud call it, on a level carpark theres nothing. Maybe am being over percausious but as i have to do my inner oil seals soon i was thinkin on doing all while in there.

Yep, some people have had no issues with HDK. But I have posted this pic several times now...

Shagged CV.JPG

Have I read or heard somewhere that heavily loading the CVJ’s in reverse (towing a stuck vehicle out backwards etc) can finish one off if it’s worn?

My current CVs are making a slight clicking on full lock at a certain angle or flex if ud call it, on a level carpark theres nothing. Maybe am being over percausious but as i have to do my inner oil seals soon i was thinkin on doing all while in there.
change them. they make a mess when they explode.

It's the diff in reverse that you need to look after. The teeth are cut to be strong pulling forward.

You can swap your CVs over so they run in the opposite direction to get a bit more life out of them but frankly I wouldn't bother

Genuine for me, got one to collect from Karl and had one from Toyota (didn't pay full retail price)

Back