Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

D4D 95 expedition prepared

I can't seem to get that link to work Shayne :icon-sad:

Lots of money spent on that. my only question is why did he not start with a 80? would have been much better.....

It's a very nice 95 which has some mad money spent on it. must be one of the best in the UK? anyone seen it before

Not sure why the link doesn't work i found the truck on Roughtrax blog but its the very same as shown on Flints Horizons link .

And not sure i agree Stu the 80 has the advantage of solid front axle and front locker when things get challenging but surely if your planning to circumnavigate the globe your route is dictated by caution , plus possibly 10mpg better fuel consumption from the d4d is in its favour .

There's a similar prepared 80 for sale somewhere for about 20 grand so i think i would seriously consider the linked truck if i was planning such a trip .

Charlie and Nina went all the way to Thailand and back in their 95. That had BFG Ats and some OME suspension. That was it. They had a board in the back that made a bed and no roof tent. Pretty much showroom. I don't think they even had a winch.

I think that having a vehicle for an overland experience is what you decide it is. You could go to China in a Volvo estate. But for me, where's the fun in that? There's two parts to this in my view. The journey and the vehicle. I love both. We could have gone round the Baltic in the Corolla with the Oz Tent. Right. Sure.

The 95 is a very comfy vehicle with good performance. I've had 2 Colorados and a 120 and I still miss it.

I think where I am unsure is when people describe things as overland prepared. This sounds like it's a very well maintained truck with some boxes in the back and a tent on top. It's ready to go overland but is that overland prepared? It's a bit like having a shovel or an expedition shovel. Is there really a difference?
Is this worth the money? What you are buying is a well sorted 95. If that gives you peace of mind over buying a clunker and having it done up then great. But I'd remind you all that a very very good Collie D4D manual (my neighbour's) went on here last month with no takers. It sold for about £3k in the end. And some more for plastic boxes and a tent and you're nowhere near the money they're after here. You simply don't get back what you spend on one of these over and above the basic vehicle as a rule.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yeah preparation is half the journey and the cost is only offset by the pursuance of a hobby or interest so its never going to be profitable .

But hey some people pay for a sports channel to watch golf :wtf:

Last edited:
Well I guess I've made about 7k with my truck then. I still don't understand why 4x4 people don't get that sticking a loaf of extras on the truck doesn't mean you add that to the asking price.

As for a 95 as an overlander. Well 7k km into this trip and 5 previous ones and there hasn't been anything it hasn't dealt with. I've climbed mountains forded rivers and been stuck in sand dunes in the last 48hours. Mine has a set of BFG ATs and that's it truck wise. Certainly this year there's a few times I was glad of the light nimble 95 over a bigger 80

Well I guess I've made about 7k with my truck then. I still don't understand why 4x4 people don't get that sticking a loaf of extras on the truck doesn't mean you add that to the asking price.

As for a 95 as an overlander. Well 7k km into this trip and 5 previous ones and there hasn't been anything it hasn't dealt with. I've climbed mountains forded rivers and been stuck in sand dunes in the last 48hours. Mine has a set of BFG ATs and that's it truck wise. Certainly this year there's a few times I was glad of the light nimble 95 over a bigger 80
I wouldnt pay 7k for a loaf..

I think time , not to mention skill is the key , buying a prepared truck is definitely a short cut of a value hard to define .

Regardless of price, that has to be one of the better condition 90 series I've seen in a while. Looks very clean all round including underneath.

This comes up on and off on the forum. If someone was going to really do the expedition thing, then they would -just as these people did - start from a clean baseline. And not by investing 12k in a vehicle that they neither know well enough to maintain themselves, nor is factory-spec enough for them to just walk into a MrT anywhere in the world.

Its the same problem all of these expedition prep'd trucks have in this country.

Remember the chap from NZ who had a 95 with thr bed platform in the back? Lovely truck, *very* keen price, ended up having to ask his mum to put on ebay bit by bit after 8 months of trying to sell it. That was pretty clean too. Cleaner than this one ? Maybe not. But very clean and also pretty stock.

Remember 'chuck' being sold at a huge loss at 22k? Nina overland had that sitting with them for at least a year. No idea where that ended up. A very well kept manual 80gx. With every bell to boot.

So, fundamentally the pitch really needs to be a case of 'started the work', buy this truck and keep working on it. Expect huge investment in showing people it, doccumenting the what and why of where and how.... i.e own the sale.

@SpinDrift said it well i think. The cost of a journey prep should match the journey itself. If you are going to put 8k of bits on the truck, make sure you recover the value of 8k over the trips. So when it comes to the sale, you shouldnt expect anything back from.it.

If you really do, then hang onto the bits that came off. So you can put them back on. And try your luck on ebay for the 8k worth of bits.

Then what @Chris said up there is spot on too. Horses for courses. Like the couple who drove a bedford rascal with a rooftop tent, around the world. You will not, however catch me on a 800cc petrol 4cyl matchbox. Suspect its a sentiment most on the forum would share :)

So... this 95... i think is a £4k truck :) and wont lose much value as some of the bits are stripped back.

Not saying that someone wont come along, know his spanner from his screws, look it over and say this is exactly what he or she wants, thank you very much and do the 12k deal. Possible but unlikely.

let's be honest this is a bit of a bargain. if this was a 80, itd be £20k. nene overland have a 80 GS. . .according to the mot history, its rusty underneath whereas this looks good underneath, from what we can see.

also, this is way way out there, but when you compare this vehicle--the condition its in, the aftemarket parts it has and improvements it has had, to an old 110 Defender and the prices they now command because "they're not making them anymore(thank god)" well. . .

If i was heading of into the Oz outback without a spanner , for a 12 grand budget this 95 series has no competitors IMO .

Back