Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

d4d vs 3.0 td

jonnyboy54321

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Gents, can I ask a question out from left field? This thread refers:-http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/56013-possibly-back-!-looking-for-a-new-cruiser
How does the Collie D4D stack up against the 3.0td?
Have been looking for a 100/120 for a wee while but it's not a great time to buy with inflated prices and I am stretching budget massively. I have a pal with an '02 D4D auto,. its only a GX so not leather but I know it's good, he's had it 6/7 years and put about 50k on it, its a low mileage one. Just wondering about it as a stepping stone (he's a bit cashflow challenged at the moment as well so it could help us both).
Obviously, it wouldn't fulful doing the Italy trip we do but as Mrs JB is likely to end up with an almost new E Class we have that covered.
Yes I have scratched the 95 itch already, but it looks to me from the hp/economy figures that the D4D could be a massive step up in terms of the drive?

From what a lot of folk on here say they are better on fuel and a bit faster.

To throw another spanner in the works Johnny i have both but my modified TD flogs the D4D . As your not likely to see mud i would say if you can find a Prado 90 it is likely to have a leather interior more power than the UK colorado and you would be pretty much on the money if you fitted a £600 exhaust .

Do you get 40+ HP extra with your exhaust mods Shayne? That's an impressive return. I've never found the D4D lacking for power as standard. And it will deliver a constant 30mpg.

Why would you not bring it to Italy Johnboy?

Perhaps not Bob i can't find a rolling road willing to let me on it but with the exhaust and intercooler it has the torque of the devil and the difference is night and day . An import Prado comes with an intercooler as standard which is why i suggested it but that said D4D mpg is far better than mine .

At a guess i will say 20-25 mpg on mine .

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Although I've only driven a 1KZ a couple of miles I also found my D4D quieter on the 200 mile drive back from where I bought it. and was impressed with how comfortably it cruised at motorway speeds (for a £3.5k car)

I've driven both in the same vehicle and the D4D was the engine that the Colorado deserved. It's like asking which is better the old three speed or the later 5 speed auto box. Worlds apart. The D4D in all it's variants is a good engine. The IKZ-TE isn't a poor engine by any means but it's hardly modern. You have to compare unmodified versions I think. Put your foot down just as a dual carriageway is narrowing and see which one makes it and which one is still stuck behind the lorry.

Do you get 40+ HP extra with your exhaust mods Shayne? That's an impressive return. I've never found the D4D lacking for power as standard. And it will deliver a constant 30mpg.

Why would you not bring it to Italy Johnboy?

That would be down to Mrs Jonnyboy not Jonnyboy !!!! Won't be posh enough for her I'm afraid..

Chaps this is enormously useful, thank you.
Not sure at this stage if anything will happen.
If it had been a nice coloured one with a black interior mind you it would already be here !!!!!

I have someone looking at a 120 tomorrow for me as its miles away. The collie is a curve ball, especially with the comments about how much more refined and economical it is.

My mrs used to be a bit like that Jonny until she was forced to drive my truck to work once , took me a bloody week to get her out of it and in the end i bought her a D4D version of the same ...... she still wants my truck .

Must admit though because my truck was in bits i took the D4D to the overland show which involved a few hours on the motorway and it was the first time it impressed me , it will cruise all day at 70mph and while it doesn't respond to a blip of the throttle like mine at that speed it has plenty more to give in a relaxed and smooth sort of way i guess that's what most people call luxury .

Still if you can find a Prado import spec levels were usually high and a mate of mine who had an import and a collie claimed the import was a much better drive .

I'd say overall the D4D unit is the better engine in standard comparison. Haven't heard of many blown heads or gaskets on those engines as well. Only problem were the injector seals which Toyota seem to have taken care of.

Someone mentioned it being quieter, not to sure on that. I've heard one side by side and they knock and tap a lot compared to the 1KZ. This is an outside comparison. Maybe when driving and inside the cabin it's quieter?

That would be down to Mrs Jonnyboy not Jonnyboy !!!! Won't be posh enough for her I'm afraid..

Ahh I see! I can only advocate the supreme comfort and practicality of the 95 on a long trip around Europe, even if it looks a bit agricultural compared to a Benz!

As for the noise, they are a bit noisier than a KZ on tick-over, but comfortably quiet at motorway speeds.
Best of luck with the search anyway!

Stick it out and find the 120 you want. i really did like my Colorado, but im loving the 120. im sure the one you want will come up.

Someone mentioned it being quieter, not to sure on that. I've heard one side by side and they knock and tap a lot compared to the 1KZ. This is an outside comparison. Maybe when driving and inside the cabin it's quieter?

Beau, Its funny you should mention the difference in tick over sound between the two. when I bought the black Collie I was not impressed with the tickover sound after a test run but I was comparing it with my mates V reg 1KZ from down the village which I see a couple of times a week TBF his does sound like a smooth tractor engine whereas mine sounds a little more complicated and rattley, It seems ok though.

Stick it out and find the 120 you want. i really did like my Colorado, but im loving the 120. im sure the one you want will come up.

Always the same buying a Cruiser to a certain spec, patience is the key. A lot of these early 120's are overpriced in my opinion, so are a lot of Collies too for 10 -20 year old trucks.

Yep they are over price, lovely silver d4d 95 near me 90k miles 1 owner but they want £8K for it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi,
there also seems to be a seasonal thing going on - lots and lots of 90's and 95's on sale at the moment, in the region of 130 - 150k miles. regardless of when it was bought new. The few that I saw ( was for a few weeks was considering going down the 90's path.. ) are all in a usually bad state of affairs.

Agree on the early 120s being overpriced. in part that is likely down to the 90's being sold at those kind of prices ( or well, advertised a those prices ).

regards,

- KB

Back