Country Flag
uk
Hi all,

Hope you are all well.

Did any one find wider rims?

Alloy or steel

Obviously needs to be 17 inch.

Some thing about 8,5 wide

Some thing with an off sett between zero and +20 (so pushes the rim more outboard.) than the standard 30mm offset

Gra.

Gra, I don't have details of what are on mine, I'll look - but they are 17" steels, modular. And the off set is frankly a pain. Without the plastic arches, the tyres stick out 3".

Chris

Gra, I don't have details of what are on mine, I'll look - but they are 17" steels, modular. And the off set is frankly a pain. Without the plastic arches, the tyres stick out 3".

Chris
Thanks Chris,

I will await your next information.

Does that mean they are not best suited to your 80 series, and better suited to my 120 series :lol:

Gra.

Not sure that the 120 has enough horses to turn them Gra. They is massive. I shall measure one up though.

Chris

+20 offset would move the wheels in board Graham, I think you mean -20mm? I think standard 90 and 120 wheels are something like +30 or +20 ? A standard 8" wide 80 series wheel is 0 offset so on a 90/120 that's like using a 30mm spacer on a standard wheel. The 17" steel wheels Chris has are -30 or -32mm iirc so on a 90 or 120 would be like having a 60mm spacer on a standard wheel ...

Cheers Jon. I forgot that you 'knew' these wheels.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Best I've found so far are Mickey Thompson rims, at 17x9 with a 0 offset ...

In forged alloy (better choice)

ClassicIIBlack.jpg

or

ClassicIIWheel.jpg

see here:

http://www.mickeythompson.co.uk/MickeyThompsonWheels/Classic2Black.html

Last edited:
Not sure that the 120 has enough horses to turn them Gra. They is massive. I shall measure one up though.

Chris
Hi Chris,

I know what you mean.

However, as a "power to weight" I am sure the 120 series is far better off with surplus horses.

Gra.

+20 offset would move the wheels in board Graham, I think you mean -20mm? I think standard 90 and 120 wheels are something like +30 or +20 ? A standard 8" wide 80 series wheel is 0 offset so on a 90/120 that's like using a 30mm spacer on a standard wheel. The 17" steel wheels Chris has are -30 or -32mm iirc so on a 90 or 120 would be like having a 60mm spacer on a standard wheel ...
.Thanks Jon,

Always confusing for me the neg and the pos offsets.

Gra.

Best I've found so far are Mickey Thompson rims, at 17x9 with a 0 offset ...

In forged alloy (better choice)

ClassicIIBlack.jpg

or

ClassicIIWheel.jpg

see here:

http://www.mickeythompson.co.uk/MickeyThompsonWheels/Classic2Black.html

Hi Gary,

17 x 9, now that getting on for a fair decent size rim, then adding in the zero offset.

so this new rim is one and half inches wider, about 37mm ?
and a zero offset, which pushes it outboard 30mm.

so would the final outboard position, be half of 37mm plus 30mm?

ie 48,5mm further outwards than the original rims I have on now?

Gra.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, sounds about right. Wide enough to take the 285x17 tyre without introducing any new rubbing issues I think.

Hi Gary,
I think I only want to go as wide as 8,5 inch.

I remember when living in Cape Town, we would take any steel rims to this wheels fabricator.
He would make them up to 4 inches wider, in half inch steps, to what you wanted.
He used to cut the rim in half in the lathe, then weld in a rolled section of mild steel.
Then weld back on the half of the rim that was cut off.

Guessing that's not possible in UK.:lol:

So, still looking for some thing like 8,5 inch.

Gra.

Hi Gary,
He used to cut the rim in half in the lathe, then weld in a rolled section of mild steel.
Then weld back on the half of the rim that was cut off.Gra.
surprised-004.gif

Cossack on fishing trawlers i've seen a 10 tonne winch tear 3/4 inch thick steel like paper only 2 inches above the weld . A good weld is usually far stronger than the metal it is used on .

Hmmm - sometimes I have to wonder how many of those little 'mods' led to some form of carnage!

I'd rather do with the Mickey T forged alloy I think :lol:

Look at the other US wheel boys like DOTZ and Dick Cepek, and there is a crowd in the UK (Silverline?) that do slightly narrower (8" I think) rims.

I asked American Eagle if thier Chevy alloys would fit my 90 and they reckon they would bolt straight on . They tend to have more than one offset for each wheel design so it may be worth looking on american ebay .

I asked American Eagle if thier Chevy alloys would fit my 90 and they reckon they would bolt straight on . They tend to have more than one offset for each wheel design so it may be worth looking on american ebay .
.Any links or references Shane?

Gra

Hi Gary,
I think I only want to go as wide as 8,5 inch.

I remember when living in Cape Town, we would take any steel rims to this wheels fabricator.
He would make them up to 4 inches wider, in half inch steps, to what you wanted.
Then weld back on the half of the rim that was cut off.

Guessing that's not possible in UK.:lol:

So, still looking for some thing like 8,5 inch.

Gra.

Yeah, there's quite a few people over here that can do banded steels. Very popular on the VW/Euro scene.

Back