Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Did I tell you that I had a Mac

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
:roll: Here we go again. Well I decided to treat myself, as after nearly 9 years, Apple will not be issuing OS updates to my first gen Intel Mac. Damn, only 9 years. Rubbish isn't it. What's that you say, your PC only lasted 4 before it broke down completely :thumbdown: Oh I am sorry. So that makes mine pretty good then? Oh it's not that it doesn't work any more, it's just the OS won't get updates. So. To remedy the situation, I decided to go and buy this

It's epic. 27" of LCD screened 3.1ghz 1Tb loveliness. Swapped everything over in a heartbeat. all working perfectly. No .dll files to lose.

Got my TV sorted, live and recorded stuff. Bose speakers plugged in, rocking and a rolling. Yes, and sitting on top, is Foxy, Badger and Mr Bear. I'd thank you not to comment on them. They can read, upside down.

Now keep it friendly folks.

Chris

Attachments

• P1000822.JPG
    P1000822.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 305
Man of great taste :D

Tonight browsing the site, from my MacBook Pro, not my MacBook Air, iPad, iPhone, MacPro or one of a number of MacServers

As it goes I was admiring a Mac Book air.. today but nearly punched the sales person when I was informed how much. Was a thing of beauty she was.... Oh and the Mac book was nice too :lol:

Excellent news. I know people talk about hype from Apple, but I don't buy that. I don't listen to any hype. I just buy with experience. But, and this may sound odd, I have an iphone, now 4 Macs, but I just have no desire for an ipad. I just don't quite get tablets. i do see very specific uses for them, our auditors use them. But for me? I'd struggle to find a use for one.

Hey TP, they are expensive - on basic price. But it's the longer term picture that's important. And with Macs, there is that longer term future. I got my lad a nice Macbook on line. pre owned, from notebooks2go or something. Spot on.

Chris

[one day I [strike:2gtvxu45]will[/strike:2gtvxu45] might crack and enter the mac vs pc debate... today is not that day!]

A very diplomatic, but genuine, "Looks like a luverly bit 'o kit there Chris!" :thumbup:

If I had money to burn I would buy one and stick windows on it, apple do know how to package a computer and understand the importance of a good screen which for some reason no PC manufacturer seems to get. I just wish they provided decent processors, GPU etc for the money then maybe I would buy one if I didn't have money to burn to stick windows on it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I went running last night, got caught in a storm, my iPod got drenched and I am now finally rid of all Apple products. :D

Well done. More for us then. Ha ha.

I think that a lot of this really does go to the question 'what do you want to do with it...' I can't understand Rob's points. Simply because I don't have a problem trying to do what I do with one. I type on here, browse e-bay, watch telly on it, get my mail etc. Processor, GPU what? It works flawlessly. For years. And that means more to me than pretty much anything else. But if I were, say a software designer, would a Mac be better? Fortunately, I will never know.

Chris

Next to my fecking damn pesky god awful PC... is a Powebook G3 that's been on almost permanantly since I bought it new. Still in use today!

I'm not actually sure what one of those is. Not a sort of black rubberised finish by any chance? I may have had one of those in the early years with OS9 which I hated.

My Intel Mac which I have given to my daughter now (she's ecstatic) has been on 24/7 for almost all of those 9 years. Occasional restart after an update, but even when away on hols, it's been recording telly.

Incidentally, Elgato EyeTV works brilliantly on a Mac. Timeslip tv, record, edit and export. Even remote scheduling if you forgot to set it. It's NOT an Apple product but I have a feeling it might work with PCs too. That's a big YAY for Elgato, not Macs by the way.

Chris

Chris its quite simple, gaming+OSX=headache

Gaming? Ah well there you are. I don't. I had a Sega Mega drive when a lot younger but fortunately realised the perils of addictive gaming. I can't get my lad off his X Box.

But if I did play games, I think I would do it on a games console rather than on a computer. As I actually do own guns, running around in a fantasy environment, shooting at things, doesn't have quite the same appeal. And I don't think that an off road game would be very exciting. Can you get MIG welding on the Wiii :D

Chris

Hey Chris

I design database software products in filemaker on my mac, if that counts, then run windows in emulation to work out how to make them also look acceptable on the pc brethrens machines (font differences on various incarnation of windows means a font with the same name does not necessarily look or behave the same, which can be amusing...)

Been using macs for years, when they finally get ready to give up the ghost i normally strip them for parts and sell on ebay, recovering most of monies spent on them at time of purchase. i rarely buy new, usually from the apple refurb store. got marks and scratches on them when they arrive, and i happily add my own over time. laptop is held together with glue and all sorts, yet soldiers on happily 5 years old now. occasionally gets stripped cleaned and rebuilt (like the cruiser just the tools are a lot smaller) to keep it running well cos its used in some tough environments on occasion. the external monitor i run has a scratch in the centre that made it 200 quid cheaper then it should have been, for what i use it for i don't even see the scratch any more.

still have some OLD machines performing useful tasks, rarely get turned off just leaving them doing their thing - i guess thats thanks to the UNIX version they run on that sits behind the pretty OSX interface, and that the user experience is tightly controlled because the software has to work with a very limited range of hardware products so they can be made to work properly there job has to be far easier in that respect than trying to make a machine run with all sorts of possible combinations of hardware components from a very large number of potential suppliers.

Bit like our cruisers - they were designed to do something and they do that something very well. if we stick with genuine toyota parts in critical areas they run and run and run, Yes its costly, yet they do what they were designed to do. fitting non genuine parts in critical areas is risking potential faults and failures....and don't get me wrong apple (and Toyota with cars and parts) make FORTUNES selling the software and hardware to us, and that keeps them designing and producing and selling more for us that love em to say, OMG how did i ever manage without that? Apple were at one point recently the highest valued company on the planet, which is a pretty impressive thing to have done considering where they were sat in the mid 1990's.

if the cruisers had parts from all manufacturers thrown in engine from here, gearbox from there, axles from another, brakes from yet another it would be a wonder they interfaced properly and ran at all. Hold on, don't some car manufacturers do use that? I don't use windows machines very often but do take my hat off to them that they function.

I had to install a new software custom database solution for a client yesterday. got the one mac in the office up and running in about 15 minutes. three of the pcs took me four hours between them because they needed a software update, one of them three times which meant i had to work with there remote maintenance team who are the only ones in the office authorised to update system software, and at the end of all that the pc proudly announced that the software i wanted to run now would not install because the machines hardware was not suitable to run it - could you not have told me that before i missed lunch? i had stopped smiling about three hours earlier.

Was given an iPad a few years back and wondered about it. Before i got to play with one i thought nah, big iPhone, whats the point? within a week i was using it a LOT. Its ideal for interacting with your data (can't design my databases on it, although they do run just great using fm go).

Fav apps on the iPad
- iThoughtHD (I mind map everything and this on app is great - ties in with Novamind on the Mac very nicely, linked via dropbox),
- Mail (praise to iCloud for keeping mail and several other apps nicely in sync - make a change anywhere and changes are reflected everywhere, tasty), - Filemaker GO
- iTeleport - allows me to remote control via a remote desktop connection pretty much anything anyone wants me to help with be it pc or mac - that one app has changed the way we deliver solutions and helps me get people up and running in our systems very quickly,
- VLC (the early version before their open source licensing ran afoul of the APP Store licensing and they changed the features and functions..... I create training movies of mind maps and software i write - vlc lets me demo it to clients (and play flash movies on the iPad),
- NavFree and the map app that comes with the iPad, and
- iCal.

Gaming - i understand that for gaming pcs can be much better. In fact for many things they can be ramped up to be monsters! I don't play any games on the computers. i want my computer to let me do my work, my research, read books and pdfs, design and deliver solutions to peoples problems in the areas where i have expertise and then go out to enjoy my life (cruiser owner so perhaps my life looks odd by others who don't have our particular affliction ;) I don't want to have to spend time figuring out why this won't work with that, why this virus does that to my pc, how it can be affected by worms (can I give it a pill like i can my cats?).

Shees fellas, all of you non mac clever lads and ladies i do take my hat off to you. You have more skill and patience than me. Ill stick with my mac, iPhone, iPods, iPad and my cruiser. they all seem to do just what i want of them when i want it.

Chris, Great choice of product, I brought my first Mac about a year ago after going out to buy another PC to replace another three year old failed one, saw the Mac in PC World and played with it for a while but was amazed at the cost of it, after looking around nothing appeared to feel the same with keyboards and the displays seemed to not as good on the PC's nothing looked as good as the Mac, so I invested my money in one as long as they could instal Win 7 for me, I spent a couple of weeks learning to use the Mac which became much easier when I found out you had to switch on the right click button on the mouse as the default setting out of the box is No right click, that is the only criticism I can make.
Now I have got used to the MAC I never use the facility for Win 7.

My Wife who is not really into computers & certainly as she puts not waste money on a high spec computer, recently wanted a laptop of her own, so off we went looking at all available laptops, she looked at many & decided on the Macair Book, I explained it is really expensive but that was the one she wanted, I have been allowed to use it & I have to say it is really smooth to use with great graphics.

I have been certainly drawn into the Apple family as I only need to replace my Blackberry with an iPhone & between us we will have the full set.

I installed Windows on my IMac some time ago. Had to, got a 3D application that only runs on Windows (great software, not designed by Bill, but hopelessly locked now because... Microsoft bought it. And ditched it. TrueSpace, it's called).

Well, guess what happened...

Crash.

The whole thing froze solid.

No problem, you'll say, just hit Ctrl-Alt-Del, and it reboots, any two years old knows that. I know too, I had PCs before.

But on a Mac you don't hit Ctrl-Alt-Del, it's a different sequence.

The problem is, I have no idea what it is... Never needed it in all the years I've run Macs!!!!!

I was just about to respond with alt, app - then I realised what you meant. I know. I can't remember what it is either. :D

Actually I do have a PC for work and I don't really like it. One of the frustrations is that when it does go wrong which isn't that often if I am fair is that using ctl alt del doesn't work! Do you want to quit this program? Yes I do. Are you sure. Yes. Really sure. Yes really sure. One last time- are you certain? Yes, dammit. Quit quit quit!

No.

Grin ;) almost fell off my chair on the shooting comment!!!
I have the same beast, just filled with more memory just cuz I can - oh and for video editing ;) ;)

Ahh well you have had the privilege of having a rummage through my cabinets haven't you. I think you took a shine to the pump action. :violence-guntoting:

C

[youtube:371ofk0p]kAG39jKi0lI[/youtube:371ofk0p]

Says it all really :lol:

Back