Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Did I tell you that I had a Mac

Hey stop blaming the PC for Microsofts issues! Id like to point out that a Mac/Apple (whatever they have decided to call them these days) IS a PC; Personal Computer. The debate really is Apple vs Microsoft and its all down to the operating systems as the hardware is all pretty much the same. You pay an awful lot of money for what is really the same PC you can buy from any other manufacturer (ASUS, ACER, Sony, HP, Dell etc.) just in a shiny case with an Apple logo on it. Dont get me wrong Apple make beautiful products but the price hike and having to live with the Apple dictatorship way of doing things (You WILL only buy Apple branded products and you WILL only use OUR software to run them...... oh and by the way we know who you are, where you are and what you are doing ALL THE TIME!) is not for me.

Personally I have several PCs, all except one run Linux (Ubuntu to be exact). They range from 10yrs old to a system I built 6 months ago. One hasnt been switched off in 3 years, they all work perfectly, no .DLL issues or Windows bugs, no Apple Nazis to deal with, everything just works, its free, it will run on any computer, (I have it on a 256mb flash drive and it will run stand alone on any PC from that!), its easy to install and it does everything just about any user would need from it.

I would urge anyone to try Linux and would recommend Ubuntu. Its just better than anything else out there, oh and did I mention ITS FREE and so is all the software you would ever need to go with it!

ModelMakerMan said:
Hey stop blaming the PC for Microsofts issues! Id like to point out that a Mac/Apple (whatever they have decided to call them these days) IS a PC; Personal Computer. The debate really is Apple vs Microsoft and its all down to the operating systems as the hardware is all pretty much the same. You pay an awful lot of money for what is really the same PC you can buy from any other manufacturer (ASUS, ACER, Sony, HP, Dell etc.) just in a shiny case with an Apple logo on it. Dont get me wrong Apple make beautiful products but the price hike and having to live with the Apple dictatorship way of doing things (You WILL only buy Apple branded products and you WILL only use OUR software to run them...... oh and by the way we know who you are, where you are and what you are doing ALL THE TIME!) is not for me.

Personally I have several PCs, all except one run Linux (Ubuntu to be exact). They range from 10yrs old to a system I built 6 months ago. One hasnt been switched off in 3 years, they all work perfectly, no .DLL issues or Windows bugs, no Apple Nazis to deal with, everything just works, its free, it will run on any computer, (I have it on a 256mb flash drive and it will run stand alone on any PC from that!), its easy to install and it does everything just about any user would need from it.

I would urge anyone to try Linux and would recommend Ubuntu. Its just better than anything else out there, oh and did I mention ITS FREE and so is all the software you would ever need to go with it!

Now that sounds a little like a man who has never used an Apple Mac more than a play in a shop.

Having to use both at work I think I may well be able to make a reasonable unbiased judgement between the two.

I run windows, Yes they make microsoft windows for Mac and it performs much better than on a (sorry) PC.

When the two are compared there is, without a shadow of doubt one winner and it is the MAC

I do not have a apple iPhone, so I am not apple through and through. I just know what is good.

Try a Mac and you will never go Back

Mal

TonyP said:
As it goes I was admiring a Mac Book air.. today but nearly punched the sales person when I was informed how much. Was a thing of beauty she was.... Oh and the Mac book was nice too :lol:

I've had 2 Mac Book Airs and both with broken screens and one with a broken hinge!

Mac Book pro's are a far better bet! For a static machine the Imac - had mine for 3 years now, 6 kids in the house all using it plus the missus and me - no probs at all, probably good for another few years. Worth the extra given the lifespan

I think that the point that I have been trying to make about Macs over Windows based home computers running on Microsoft products ( :roll: ) is that if you know sod all about the inner thinkings of computers like some clearly do and still probably have DOS running somewhere in the background, is that Mac just keep their noses clean much better than the aforementioned type of home terminal. They take all sorts of user abuse, connect to the outside World all the time, get shut down imporpely, left running for years and they just keep working like the day that they came of box. Now for a complete computer idiot, that has to be a bonus. You hear people in shops saying to the assistant, "I want to buy a good PC that will last me, I don't know anything about fixing them so I want it to be reliable. All I want it for is Web, mail and writing letters"

I can't resist waking past and coughing loudly 'Mac!'

That's it. It's not that they're better [strike:vyxp85rj](but clearly they are)[/strike:vyxp85rj] it's just they're less trouble when you know nothing.

Chris

Spent 7 years selling middleware and professional services amongst other things into data centres and I've been around pc's since early '90s so very familiar with low versions DOS etc. I've also run Linux Ubuntu.

There's a bit of truth in everything said. MAC OS is built on Unix, whose system files are not open and easily accessed, that said there are viruses for Mac. Mac OS was definitely more stable than previous versions of windows and handles memory far more efficiently, which is why graphics based businesses use them.

These days, the colossal organisations call Apple and MS are more driven by the need to perform for the share holders and CXO's bonuses so they are both fighting for the middle ground where most of the customers are. These business become very arrogant over time and Apple has definitely followed this model and are distancing their core customer base. But the fact remains that Apple even with Intel processors are responsible for hardware and software together, whereas MS machines are very heterogeneous, which occasionally results in interoperability issues!

So as always the truth of the matter lies somewhere in the middle, Apple machines are beautifully engineered, over priced, slightly less prone to problems and viruses and most models have greater longevity. But at the end of the day it's a Landrover / Landcruiser type choice - we all have our reasons... and btw I'd be interested in a LR Sport at some point!

I bought 2 Apple cubes when the first came out and paid £726.00 each for them with a 19'' display. We used them for 3 years then up graded to I Macs. The Cubes were put away in their original boxes and forgotten about In 2008 we rediscovered them and tried them work as they did before, but we did not need them.
Put one on ebay and it sold for £1,280.00.

Try selling a Microsoft based computer after 6 years and see if you get 20% of its original cost never mind a large Profit.

Just another reson for Apple.
Apple.jpg

Mal

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back