Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

diff breather kit

toolsplus

Country Flag
portugal
looking for a diff breather kit
any ideas guys?

cheers

You can prob buy one on Oz ebay . I searched in vain for a kit for my 90 and searched for ages finding only vague mentions of breather kits in forum threads . Only very recently quite by chance i grasped that most just pop the cap off the existing breather, stick a bit of fuel pipe on it and run it to wherever suits . Some finish with a little air filter but i think i will put a new breather on the end of each pipe when i get around to doing it just to look tidy .

Ecoman on this forum has supplied me with them in past

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Andy :thumbup:

I have replied to your PM Bill

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The breather cap for the gearbox also serves the transfer box. There are two pipes that come together in a T on the top rear edge of the transfer so it's easy to get to. I've never raised any of mine as I reckon they work well enough as they are. But it's not hard to get to.

And those terminate in the back of the engine bay if memory serves

Not these ones Gary. They sit on the transfer case / gearbox under the gear stick console basically. I say they, I mean it. There is just one cap. I have a picture actually on my eye patch but I have left it in the unit. Doh.

To be honest I wouldn't bother raising the gearbox breathers unless you are a serious off roader and do some really deep wading.

If your deep enough to draw water into your breathers you probably have more serious issues to think about that a bit of water in the oil!! :lol:

Also the ones on the gearbox are usually pressed in and would require a bit of extra work to fit them. This usually involves either removing the whole breather and tapping out the hole to take the new fitting, or a slightly quicker method, of prising the top off the factory breather and pushing over a length of rubber hose, then securing the new fitting into the hose. The hose needs to be secured with jubilee clips.

Here's the pic I took yesterday. I wouldn't bother about these either but for reference, this is the union on the top if the gearbox. One goes to the top hat valve and the other connects to the transfer box. There are a couple of pipes from memory off the T case. The union there has three connections. If all that is in place you could very easily just extend the top at valve section.

IMG_0167.JPG

That's an easy job and you wouldn't need anything more than some rubber hose and a jubilee clip!

Out of interest, does anyone know about the breathers on the diff lock actuators?

The little plastic straws on the lockers go into the wiring loom and you know, I haven't a clue where they go after that.

Tried some rubber fuel hose on the connecter today. 1/4 " fitted perfectly. Didn't need a clip. Very snug fit.

The little plastic straws on the lockers go into the wiring loom and you know, I haven't a clue where they go after that.

Tried some rubber fuel hose on the connecter today. 1/4 " fitted perfectly. Didn't need a clip. Very snug fit.

I may have to investigate when I'm under there next.

I take t you mean the 1/4" hose fits on the gearbox connector perfectly?

Yes, indeed. There are two sizes of hose bizarrely. The one on gear box is 1/4" but the breathers on the transfer box are more like, errrm, well slightly smaller. I tried it myself.

Back