Difflock accuator installation - FSM guide

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
spotted this inthe 4runner FSM
shows how the difflock accuator should be aligned for installation
and in the "locked" position!
i have always installed unlocked and just slipped it onto the studs etc :?
I wonder if this is why the previous new one i fitted stopped unlocking properly recently, even though it had worked fine for 2 yrs... :roll:
[attachment=0:29nu3x5j]difflock install.JPG[/attachment:29nu3x5j]

Attachments

• difflock install.JPG
    difflock install.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 233
:? :?

I didn't understand a word of that.

I attach the actuator to the wiring, engage low box and then (with the ignition on) engage the diff lock. The motor whirrs and the spring is tensioned.

I then turn the diff lock off. The motor whirrs and the unit is in the unlock position.

I then ensure that the rack is fully in the unlock position.

Put the two together.

I haven't had a problem.

I suppose, thinking about it, I've no guarantee that the motor will fully-engage the rack before the internal gearwheel reaches the end of the electrical connection (it has contacts on the outer face) - though it is tensioning a spring which should ensure full engagement.

Maybe I should put it together in the 'locked' position instead (and hope that it unlocks fully) :think: .

Interesting.

Bob.

i didnt really understand it either Bob, and i have always fitted them the way you describe
i would rather it has more preload in unlock than lock!

i wont be taking mine off to refit it :)

When I relaced mine I did it in the unlocked position beacuse thats the way Bob told me to do it....... been done about 6 months now and used a fair bit with as far as I can tell no problems at all...Thank you Bob

Back