Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Disaster strikes when you least expect it

clivehorridge

Guru
Garage
Country Flag
romania
I had to work this weekend, which is no fun at the best of times.

Finished at about 5pm, jumped in the truck to pick up my wife, set off from the kerb and a "bump" sound from the front end.

:wtf:

No steering. The steering wheel is light and nothing happening at the wheels. OMG!

IMG_2114[1].jpg

IMG_2116[1].jpg

The main steering shaft in the steering box has snapped as it enters the Pitman arm. :icon-cry:

So, a few phonecalls later...

IMG_2117[1].jpg

IMG_2123[1].jpg

IMG_2127[1].jpg

So that's it. The recovery guy will take it to his depot for the night and at 09:00am it will be at the Service.

Problem is getting part No. 44111 in time to fit it for the Christmas holidays... :icon-cry: Not happy at all.

Oh bugger!!!!! Better at low speed though!!

Thats a nasty one, suprised it snapped there, thats a thick bit of steel

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

Nightmare. Always at the worst time. Hope it gets sorted quickly.

That's a real bummer Clive, :thumbdown: couldn't have happened at a worse time, Christmas just coming up, fingers crossed the spare arrives soon. Think yourself lucky you weren't driving fast.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Yes I was very lucky, I'd just pulled away! If I had been at speed or in traffic, it would have been a different story for sure. Just hoping I can get it fixed for the holiday. We've been looking forward to some trips out, some skiing (if there's enough snow) and some visiting as usual.

We'll have to see, maybe I can borrow the Renault Megane estate from work.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not good news Clive!. Is that the correct part no, doesn't look like that on Toyo.

From what I understand 44111 refers to a steering box output shaft, the last 5 figures refers to the exact steering shaft that will fit for example a pre facelift 1995 HZJ80.

That's the one. I am pre facelift 1995 LHD European spec HZJ80.

The whole box had pt no 44111 and when yo go inside the broken shaft is so 44111 AFAIK.

Bummer Clive but as is already said it could have been a lot worse had it happened on the move , count your blessings i'd say . If i could speed up repairs by buying it here and posting it on let me know i've already had a quick look around and it doesn't seem a commonly available part ?

Thanks Shayne, a kind offer, but I'm worried that it's not readily available. My service uses a supplier in Germany, and usually they're very good.

Fingers crossed, I'll know more tomorrow!

Forgot to mention, the whole part number is probably 44111-60030.

Yes Rob, you're right, it's the whole range! Only need the shaft!

44111-60030 Shaft Cross, FJ80,FZJ80,HDJ80,HZJ90, 1991>. ?

44111-60030 Shaft Cross, FJ80,FZJ80,HDJ80,HZJ90, 1991>. ?

This is what I found on DIY...

It's the first time I've had to bother with part numbers, but 44111-60030 is correct. ( I think!) :?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Not good Clive :thumbdown:

As said though. Good job you weren't doing 80mph on the motorway.

Shame your not in the uk. Would have been a quick cheap ish fix.:doh:

Might be worth calling Simon if Karl et all can't find one. If they're in the EU warehouse he can have it by next morning, UK warehouse is same-day I think and you can have it a day later if needed.

Not good Clive :thumbdown:

As said though. Good job you weren't doing 80mph on the motorway.

Shame your not in the uk. Would have been a quick cheap ish fix.:doh:

How so Karl? Do you have a special rate for steering boxes to members? :lol:

The tow in-via the depot overnight for delivery first thing tomorrow, was amazingly cheap... 40 quid ish! I had to wait 35 minutes for him to arrive and the service is about an hour's trip for him in the morning rush-hour.

The shaft price on TOYO is four hundred a something Euro... plus labour, and that's not such an easy job methinks...

Boy that could have been so much worse. Hope you get it al sorted in time. Glad your ok

Back