Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Disaster strikes when you least expect it

The nerd in me wants a to see a good close up picture of the fracture surfaces...

Has this happened to anyone else? Clive was your 80 involved in a front end shunt and any point in its life?

I've heard of it before when I have sold a box in the past. Only once though.

The nerd in me wants a to see a good close up picture of the fracture surfaces...

Has this happened to anyone else? Clive was your 80 involved in a front end shunt and any point in its life?

Yes Rob, the impact was an almost direct hit on the LHS wheel hub (I'm LHD as well don't forget).

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just glad it didn't happen when you were driving!!

Anyone know if a left and right drive car will have a interchangeable steering box?

Good grief, Clive. Only just caught up. Been off road all day. That's a really worrying failure. And a very unusual one. I'm with Rob, I'd like to know how / why this failed. But getting you back on the road is the first thing. Glad it wasn't any worse Matey.

Good grief, Clive. Only just caught up. Been off road all day. That's a really worrying failure. And a very unusual one. I'm with Rob, I'd like to know how / why this failed. But getting you back on the road is the first thing. Glad it wasn't any worse Matey.

Thanks Chris.

I've just thought, usually at the time it broke, I'm on the road back to Bucharest after a w/e at the house, doing 120 kph for one and a half hours:wtf:.

Heaven forbid.... :|

Anyone know if a left and right drive car will have a interchangeable steering box?

The part numbers are different for LH and RHD, also looking at the box itself it does appears to be 'handed'.

The part numbers are different for LH and RHD, also looking at the box itself it does appears to be 'handed'.

Just my luck. Thanks guys for trying!

I'll take my luck on getting a new shaft fitted, otherwise it's a Renault Meganne Estate for Christmas! HO, HO, HO!

Looks like the shaft is interchangeable as the part number is the same, not sure about the whole box.

Looks like there may be 3 options then. Buy a new shaft, a 2nd hand LHD box or a 2nd hand RHD box and use the shaft from it. Removing the shaft looks quite easy in the FSM, no mention of special tools or procedures etc.

Just a look at the photo and imagining rotating it as if to fit it on a RHD, it's obvious to me that it's handed.

Thanks everyone for the ideas and suggestions and to Karl for checking out his stock.

I'm in the hands of the Service and Mr T somewhere in Germany!

I'll keep ya'll posted.

Cheers

Looks like there may be 3 options then. Buy a new shaft, a 2nd hand LHD box or a 2nd hand RHD box and use the shaft from it. Removing the shaft looks quite easy in the FSM, no mention of special tools or procedures etc.

Sorry Towpack, missed your comment there.

Yes, three options. A 2nd hand LHD is like trying to find rocking-horse poo out here. A RHD box Karl has, but shipping will be a problem, however well organized it is. 3rd is best I think, the new shaft. If it misses Christmas, then so be it. It's a long winter till April 2014.

Thanks guys.

You were lucky Clive but this has been seen a few times in the past after wheel impacts in an accident after which you really need to check the shaft isn't twisted - checking the splines don't have a kink in them is the easiest way to check this. I'm sure this was 'common' knowledge back in the days of the ELCO mailing list or over on LCOOL but it must have got lost somewhere along the way or you might have been saved a scare :shock:

Worrying failure indeed.
I smell the traces of mr. Murphy, this happening just before Christmas etc ...
But then again, goddess Fortuna was on your side, it didn't happen while speeding.
Hope you will sort it out quickly and efficiently.

Back