Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Disaster strikes when you least expect it

Very lucky Clive, that could have messed up Christmas far more than just having to drive a Renault!!!

I guess you just never know all of whats damaged following an accident every time! I had a front impact crash in an Astra Van some years back. Some months following the repair she started to snap fuel injection pipes one after another. A bloody messy business make no mistake! Then soon after this she threw the cam belt causing untold damage! Turned out the pump pully bearing had gone and all of this was caused as the bracket holding the pump had been slightly bent following the accident and had not been picked up. This put extra pressure on the pipes till they snapped and on the bearing till it failed!!!

Pleased no one was hurt. Keep smiling, it's only 9 sleeps to Christmas and all those presents and food :icon-biggrin:

Very lucky Clive, that could have messed up Christmas far more than just having to drive a Renault!!!

I guess you just never know all of whats damaged following an accident every time! I had a front impact crash in an Astra Van some years back. Some months following the repair she started to snap fuel injection pipes one after another. A bloody messy business make no mistake! Then soon after this she threw the cam belt causing untold damage! Turned out the pump pully bearing had gone and all of this was caused as the bracket holding the pump had been slightly bent following the accident and had not been picked up. This put extra pressure on the pipes till they snapped and on the bearing till it failed!!!

Pleased no one was hurt. Keep smiling, it's only 9 sleeps to Christmas and all those presents and food :icon-biggrin:

Absolutely correct Steven, a very lucky escape... again!

As for the earlier damage, I don't discount it but it's hard to see how the impact could have affected this shaft.

The crash broke the hub flange on the outside, but the axle was not displaced at all. Any shock from the impact on the steering would have been absorbed by the links, IMHO, but you never know.

Anyway, we'll see what can be done this side of the holidays (if any) and take it from there.

Cheers!

phew and bummer all in the same breath :( - glad you are OK and hope you get your bits before xmas
Steve

phew and bummer all in the same breath :( - glad you are OK and hope you get your bits before xmas
Steve

Thanks Steve!

I just had a call from the Service. Parts only, EUR 1,000 or as near as damn it, RON 4,638.98. That includes all gaskets, seals, O rings and the like. The labour will not be much and I get that VAT free for cash.

He's now seeing how quickly they can get the part, he thinks there's a chance for Friday, meaning they will fit it Monday. Half a chance for Christmas! :icon-biggrin:

youch!

Not cheap!!!!

Steve

Nothing's cheap Steve, when it comes to genuine parts.

Do you have the same problem in France? I can't find any scrap yards here that specialize in LCs, otherwise I could get a second hand box.

Karl offered me a steering box straight away, but mine is LHD and they're handed. Strangely, the shaft that broke is the same part, whether LHD or RHD.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That's not THAT bad Clive, at least it won't be another £1000 for labour because your not in Western Europe!

I'm amazed that isn't sided though, not that it makes any difference, just surprised.

New prices here you can easily add 50% to prices in UK. Everything from pads to filters. Its cheaper (and faster) to source from UK, even with postage. I needed a joint for a pool pump - after 2 wrong bits and 6 weeks of waiting, I was told its not available and would need a new pump at 600€. This is from lcal pool co who installed it. Within 15mins, bit on order from USA Amazon, cost 5€ +3€ delivery, was here in 2 weeks.......
Once the French understand what the internet can do, prices will fall, and service improve.
Steve

You would think that Steve, but its very much the same here in Ireland. Virtually everything here in 20% or more dearer than in the UK (Northern Ireland). And even Northern Ireland is almost always dearer than mainland UK.

And as for getting bits to fix something here n Ireland...... forget it. Replace replace is the motto.

Its not called 'rip off Ireland' for nothing. Or 'the Golden Cow' if your in the straight retail trade.....

Steve & yogi,

Regular maintenance items, such as oil and air filters, oil, pads and shoes, ball joints, other consumables and the like are readily available and at reasonable prices, but real parts unique to foreign cars are very expensive. Luckily labour is cheap. It will cost me less than £100 to have this shaft fitted, and it's quite a hefty job all in.

Service have just confirmed the parts arriving Friday. If it's before 10am, the car will be ready at 5:00pm, otherwise it will be done on Monday.

Fingers crossed, I'll have the old girl back for skiing and playing at Christmas! :pray:

Result!

Picked the truck up yesterday afternoon, it cost me a round trip of 220kms and a labour bill of £60 for fitting the new shaft and seals!

The track is now proudly parked in the garden of the house and ready for any Christmas outings we may want!

photo 1.jpg

photo 5.jpg

It's very warm here at 10 C today, which is very unusual for Christmas. I hope you're not suffering too much from the storms in the UK, but it doesn't sound good from what I've seen so far on the forum, for you guys. :|

Glad to see you back on the road for Christmas Clive!!

I would have thought you of anyone would have been good as guaranteed a white Christmas!

Its pretty stormy here in Westmeath today, but not as bad as last week.

Glad to see you back on the road for Christmas Clive!!

I would have thought you of anyone would have been good as guaranteed a white Christmas!

Its pretty stormy here in Westmeath today, but not as bad as last week.

Thanks yogi.

At least the "family" is all together now for Christmas ,:lol:

Its my first year in 12 years being here, when there's been no snow on the grass at Christmas. There's some at the resorts because they blow it themselves overnight when it's about -4C at 2,500m altitude.

It's like a spring day here today, rather beautiful in fact, blue, blue skies and dry.

I'm only at 800m so it's not high enough.

I'm glad your mobile for Christmas Clive, it would have been miserable to be stuck without transport, Merry Christmas to all at Chez Horridge.
xmas-tree-070.gif

Great news Clive i reckon you have better access to Toyota than i do here in the UK with no reply to email or phone calls for over a week i guess i will have to find a proper garage to check out my lower suspension ball joints . Have to wonder though if i'm worrying about nothing my truck did pass Toyota's 160 point check in April this year ?

Thanks Chas, Shayne, Steve & Andy (slipped in there sharpish), Merry Christmas to all of you and yours!

Last edited:
Back