Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Do we think I need a new water pump?

sae70

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
uk
Been spannering Fiery today in preperation for Lincomb :D

Checked brake pads, adjusted hand brake, checked condition & level of all oils, spent a large amount of time just laying underneath her poking & proding, removed front ARB, greased UJ's & slip joints, Bla Bla Bla, Etc :)

I then notice a drip or two of pure pink coolant fluid on the bottom of the sump :!: :shock:

Following the trail up to a nut/bolt below what I think is the water pump :think:

Looks as though it's only leaking when the engine is running & can only be very rescent, certainly since I went to Wales as it was not leaking then for sure :)

So what are peoples thoughts water pump, gasket or worse :?:

I'll get some piccys up later on :)

Have you had any temperature problems, overheating??

Hopefully just a gasket for ya, but i am sure there will be a few resident expert opinions along soon enough!

It will be the water pump i had the same pink down the front sump and as you say its only when running that it starts weeping. If you have a max ellery book totally ignore the parts it says you need. all you relly need is the water pump and it comes with a new gasket and while you have the aux belts off you might aswell change them it a very easy job. but if you read the max ellery it tells you the timing belt etc has to come off but it doesnt, but on the plus side i have all the bits for when i need to change my timing belt :lol:

Jor

Ronanjordan said:
Have you had any temperature problems, overheating??

Hopefully just a gasket for ya, but i am sure there will be a few resident expert opinions along soon enough!
No, no overheating problems what so ever :D All coolant & engine oil clean & as they should be but then Fiery is a manual so I think that this makes all the difference :) Engine has incredible power & I do wonder if she's been tweeked in some way :think:

silvercruiser said:
It will be the water pump i had the same pink down the front sump and as you say its only when running that it starts weeping. If you have a max ellery book totally ignore the parts it says you need. all you relly need is the water pump and it comes with a new gasket and while you have the aux belts off you might aswell change them it a very easy job. but if you read the max ellery it tells you the timing belt etc has to come off but it doesnt, but on the plus side i have all the bits for when i need to change my timing belt :lol:

Jor
Ah..well that seems to be encourageing :D

I've taken some piccy's that I will post up later, just came in from watering the garden to say goodnight to all of the kids :D

silvercruiser said:

Jor
Forgot to ask if it's a big job or not :roll: How long did it take you :?:

Here's the pictures, I'd be interested in any thoughts & comments :)

Looking down from above

P3250411.jpg

P3250412.jpg

Looking up from below

P3250415.jpg

P3250417.jpg

P3250418.jpg

P3250419.jpg

P3250421.jpg

P3250423.jpg

P3250424.jpg

That looks familiar.

My water pump was leaking like this - from the shaft seal, not the gasket:

DSCN6138.jpg

Its easy enough to replace - just drain everything down and remove the radiator (you might get away with leaving it in but its only 4 bolts). Remove belts, fan and fan hub. You don't have to remove the timing belt - although I removed the cover just to get a better view.

I got a replacement pump from our local motor factors - £106 if memory serves - it was practically identical to the Toyota pump and was made by GMB, Japan.

DSCN6142.jpg

With the pump unbolted you have access to the thin steel gasket.

DSCN6144.jpg

I used a Stanley Knife blade to remove it - there was a new one with the new pump.

DSCN6149.jpg

The new pump bolted straight in. I don't think I used any jointing compound on the gasket (but I might be wrong so make your own decision, it can't do any harm).

DSCN6150.jpg

I've had no problems with it since (job was done on 5th August 2010) :thumbup:

Bob.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thought I'd just finish this thread up for future reference :) ;)

Firstly we need a link to my bucket kicking thread viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10837

And know that's out of the way :roll: :)

I ordered myself a new pump from Milners for about £70 from memory, so imagine my surprise when this turned up :shock:

P3280457.jpg

P3280458.jpg

P3280461.jpg

A genuine Toyota part :o :o :o :D :cool:

But do you see the difference :?: It has the whole housing supplied with it :think: Makes sense now why 'silvercruiser' mentioned about having to remove the Cam belt to fit the water pump :) Cause to fit the whole pump housing it would need to come off :!: Good old Yota, he really knows how to turn a buck or two :roll: :)

You can see the Fiery's original fitted housing in this photo :)

P3280463.jpg

Anyways I didn't bother with the new housing & just fitted the pump :)

P3280467.jpg

All seems good, touch wood :thumbup: She's been to Lincomb & back know & done a couple of trips to the dump towing the old trailer so fingers crossed problem sorted & another mistery solved :D

sae70 said:
All seems good, touch wood :thumbup:

It'll be fine :thumbup: .

The inside of your motor is beautifully clean :drool: , I wonder why mine is so brown and gnarled-looking :roll:

I wonder why Toyota expect us to replace the whole pump housing :? Maybe they know something we don't.

Bob.

BobMurphy said:
The inside of your motor is beautifully clean :drool: , I wonder why mine is so brown and gnarled-looking
That'll be the Essex Tap I use in place of the Toyota Pink :D ;)

BobMurphy said:
I wonder why Toyota expect us to replace the whole pump housing :? Maybe they know something we don't
That's exactly what I thought :think: I wondered if the pump impellor was matched to the housing or if they have moded the housing to give a better flow :shifty: :)

Back