Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Doh!!! Bad day!!!

Gav missin

Yarwell pay and play today. Going well found the golden egg for james in the Easter egg hunt. Then rear diff and passenger side cv both shit themselves at exactly the same time in the deepest part of the lake! Whats the chance of that .The soaking also did the alternator and the starter motor too. Got a busy day or so before lincolm now I'm guessing. Prop uj s could do with changing too. Oh well best get too it.

IMG-20180325-WA0009.jpg IMG-20180325-WA0012.jpg IMG-20180325-WA0007.jpg IMG-20180325-WA0011.jpg IMG-20180325-WA0005.jpg 20180325_102049.jpg

Sorry to see that, front diff failure is the common weak point on the 80 but, a rear diff, that is very unusual, CV yep get that, larger wheel and tyre combo adding to the workload.

Re the starter and alternator, if you strip them asap, they will wash out, new are quick to replace and get back on the road but, the dipped ones will work fine if not left on the bench too long,

Regards

Dave

Sorry to see that, front diff failure is the common weak point on the 80 but, a rear diff, that is very unusual, CV yep get that, larger wheel and tyre combo adding to the workload.

Re the starter and alternator, if you strip them asap, they will wash out, new are quick to replace and get back on the road but, the dipped ones will work fine if not left on the bench too long,

Regards

Dave
Pinion bearings let go big style on the rear diff. Had been whining badly on overrun for longer than healthy really. Have a good diff from Garry here already. Top bloke even came out to recover me. I keep an alternator and starter as spares anyway and the cv is done already. Shouldn't take too long

Yep - unlucky day - it never rains but it pours - it'll need a wash and an interior valet as well.

Yep - unlucky day - it never rains but it pours - it'll need a wash and an interior valet as well.
She's clean as a whistle underneath now but seats are bit damp. No carpets fitted anyway as its a mudder. A good day Will see it brand new!!!!

Well, with the sun shining it looked like a grand day to be stuck in the middle of a lake!:icon-biggrin:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Gotta have fun !!!!!
The fun is starting to wear off a bit now. 25 litres of atf and 6 or 7 flushes and the gearbox still aint right. Fluid still coming out milky. Add to that cv joint starter alternator engine oil and filter rear diff diff oils brake pads and now a water pump. We WILL be ready for lincomb though!!!!!! I hope.

Oh dear, maybe you should buy a nice little boat gav?

Pinion bearings let go big style on the rear diff. Had been whining badly on overrun for longer than healthy really. Have a good diff from Garry here already. Top bloke even came out to recover me. I keep an alternator and starter as spares anyway and the cv is done already. Shouldn't take too long

A lot of the time its the actual crush tube, crushing more over time especially when really loaded up off road, this then throws the ring and pinion out of mesh and BANG! :thumbdown:

People also not torquing the pinion nut up to the exact torque the diff was originally setup to can also alter the crush tube/preload on the pinion bearing, often this happens when the oil seal gets changed. :ugeek:

Thats why all of the reputable diff shops over here will only fit solid pinion spacers when rebuilding diffs/fitting lockers to 4wd diffs!

A solid pinion spacer makes for a much stronger and more reliable diff. :icon-twisted:

Oh dear, maybe you should buy a nice little boat gav?
Been there done that. Had a 18 ft Fisher pilot used for bass fishing off the Norfolk coast. Cost me more beer tokens than this massively abused 80 has!!! YET. The bearings were worn really badly in the diff Ben from water and sand getting past the pinion seal which i foolishly left to long. By the time id replaced it diff was mullered. I ran it regardless for 3 months whining its tits off. Pan had about a pound of sand in there.My own doing but do like to get my penny's worth.

The fun is starting to wear off a bit now. 25 litres of atf and 6 or 7 flushes and the gearbox still aint right. Fluid still coming out milky. Add to that cv joint starter alternator engine oil and filter rear diff diff oils brake pads and now a water pump. We WILL be ready for lincomb though!!!!!! I hope.
And now we can add a gearbox to the list of destroyed items.. they were some expensive easter eggs my boy !!!

And now we can add a gearbox to the list of destroyed items.. they were some expensive easter eggs my boy !!!
Front diffs a bit sloppy now the props are off!!!! Well its half out already soo!!! Yep! Should be like brand new now.

Back