Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Door locks not working using key buttons?

Aaron

Firstly, hello to everyone on here I am a new member and this is my first post. I am Chris' next door neighbour and he finally talked my mrs into getting a Land Cruiser to tow her horse box.

We went over to sunny Bradford and purchased a 51 plate Colorado 3.0 D4D with 123,000 miles on the clock.

Upon getting it home we noticed that the one key that we have has been repaired with superglue. We then tried to lock the doors using the push button on the key. The indicator lights flashed along with the small red light on the key but the doors did not lock. I tried to lock the doors using the key and found that the drivers door lock was seized. I finally managed to lock the doors with alot of fiddling with the key in the passenger door lock. The unlock button was then tested and the same happened again (the red light on the remote flashed and so did the indicators but the doors didn't unlock).

I have no clue what could be wrong and am a bit of an ameteur (whos wanting to learn) when it comes to mechanics.

I have rang Toyota who quoted £120 +VAT for a new key but having spoken to Chris he advised me to see if theres anyone on here who can help........................Any help would be appreciated :thumbup:

Many Thanks,

Aaron

Hey up Matey. I could just stick my head out of the window and shout instead of posting.

Welcome to the site. I'm sure we'll find a way to help you out. Incidentally, you didn't mention that it's a manual. I don't think there are that many of those around. Looking forward to a spin in it. Just need to sort mine first.

Chris

Hi Aaron, just wanted to say welcome to the club :thumbup:

Did you get a second set of keys with the LC? Does that one work? My Mrs misplaced one of the keys for our 120 and yup Toyota are not the cheapest... I have however seen a ebay listing for a company that will come to you and replace the key for slightly cheaper, but unfortunately they are only a London based company. Link

Maybe you can find someone local to you...

Thanks for the welcome Tony!!
Unfortunately we only got 1 key with the car so I can't try a spare. I've found a company who will refurb the key for £30 but it has to be sent off.
I'm going to check all the fuses over the next day or so to make sure that they are all ok. Spoke to my mrs about the problem last night and she's sure that the locking system worked 2 days ago by pressing the key fob button. There doesn't seem to be any change with the key so I don't know if there is something wrong with something on the car.

Hopefully I'll get this sorted soon as it's a little annoying at the minute having to open the car using the passenger door!!

Bummer, so does the central locking button on the drivers side arm rest lock and unlock the doors? You could be correct about the fuses, so just trying to eliminate where the prob lies

I was going to ask about the central locking button on drivers door rest -
if the indicators are flashing it suggests the key is OK ?
so must be something in the wiring.

do the wires & sheath look ok on the wiring between the front of the drivers door and pillar? in the hinge area?
if any wires are damaged that could be the cause

and welcome to the 'Crusier madhouse!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The central locking button works fine guys. Also when I put my key in the lock it works fine. (Which in normal circs I could live with but the lock on the drivers door is locked solid and the passenger door lock is on it's last legs and takes some real fiddling to get to lock.)

I have checked every fuse and none if them have blown. The wires and sheath look fine, the rubber sheath hasn't got any wear marks or splits in it and it doesn't seem to get caught up on anything when the door is opened or closed.

The plot thickens............thanks for your help so far. Any more ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Aaron

have you tried some WD40 in the keyhole on the drivers door lock to free it up.
same should help the passenger lock.

could be either a wiring fault, loose connection, plug etc between the remote locking electric thingy box and the door
or something wrong inside the remote control box in the car -
no idea

where that "box" is though...

here is discussion for an 80-series on "the other forum" :twisted:

http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopi ... al+locking

does the alarm still get activated/deactivated by the key fob?

I've tried WD40 in all the locks on the car. The drivers door now locks but doesn't open, the passenger door opens and locks (with alot of fiddling) and the boot opens but doesn't lock.

I've spoken to a local locksmith and I can get a key that only opens the doors for £12 or one that opens the doors and starts the car for £72. If only I could get the locks freed up so I can then try and sort the wiring etc out.

is the key worn out? rounded looking on its "teeth"?

I had a 4runner before the landcruiser - hilux based vehicle.

I started to find it hard to unlock drivers door and worse start the engine, the key just wouldn't turn in ignition barrel, once i was wiggling the key for 10mins before I could start the engine.
I ordered new ignition barrel and 2x key from Toyota - cost around £70-100.
In end it was just the key that had worn, as the old ignition barrel was fine with a new key. but i replaced it with the new one anyway,

but the 4runner didnt have an immobiliser... so no special "chip" in the key

It does look a little worn. I think I might go to the local locksmith and get a key from them for £12 which will only operate the door locks, but it may help. If I can get a key that opens and locks the drivers door then we can cope with that until I've got a little more time to get the door card off and have a look inside.

problem is if they use that worn key as a template for a new one, the new one may also be just as bad?
i had a little metal tag with the key code with the key I had for 4runner, so used that to obtain a new key from Toyota.

Well I thought I'd sorted this without doing anything at all. Chris popped round and took her out for a spin and then voila the key fob locked and unlocked the doors. Miracle!! I left it 20 minutes or so and then tested it again......still working. I then nipped up to the chippy for some lunch and it wasn't working again!!!! Grrrrrr.

Aaron's system works from buttons on the key. Is this the same system as the TVSS with the black rounded fob with two buttons on? Could we get a spare fob (e-blag £10) and re-code the keys to his ECU? Where is the ECU on this model? Is it behind the radio like a KZJ95 - his being a KDJ 95

I can't bare to see him standing out there all day with tears rolling down his face. It's keeping me awake. :cry: :cry:

Chris

Back