Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dual Battery setup?

24 volt is just a better starting system in cold climates, although it has some drawbacks. As I understand it, there were only 2 versions for different areas of the world - warm countries, and cold countries. Europe got the cold climate version that included the radiator fan.

Nowadays, it is easier for manufacturers to make more country specific models with various changes, but back then it wasn't so.

@Dave, I agree that seems sensible but did not understand the 'Europe got the cold climate version that included the radiator fan' sentence. Are you referring to the electric fan in front of the A/C condenser as that was in the hot climates to boost A/C performance when idling in traffic, not seen it in European versions?

regards

Dave

@Dave, I agree that seems sensible but did not understand the 'Europe got the cold climate version that included the radiator fan' sentence. Are you referring to the electric fan in front of the A/C condenser as that was in the hot climates to boost A/C performance when idling in traffic, not seen it in European versions?

regards

Dave

I thought the same but assumed he meant the radiator blind......maybe?

Got it, your ahead of me Towpack I never even thought about that. I have seen all sorts of reason for the fitment of that blind, the only credible one being to prevent grass/plant seeds blocking the radiator matrix or mud from river crossings? It will do nothing to aid engine warm up so, any other opinions for it's fitment?

Mine was tatty and went straight in the bin.

regards

Dave

The instructions for the blind are in The Owners Manual. "if the engine does not get up to working temperature lower the blind". Very useful at minus 30c when you need the 24 volt starter and heated fuel filter. :icon-wink: .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Got you Frank, years ago we used to cover the rad with board or whatever, (I know you have been there Frank :icon-biggrin:) and in fact had cars with rad blinds but, I thought with modern thermostat it would be redundant nowadays?

I suppose you could add it to the 'go anywhere' machine that Toyota gave us?

regards

Dave

i use my blind every winter! the motor warms up quicker. so i do too, which must be a good thing!

in fact i have a brand new one still in the box to replace my tatty one.

I've also found the blind make's a difference to warm up time in cold weather. It shouldn't do, in theory at least, if you have a correctly working thermostat but, fact is it does. I've also heard the wading scenario mentioned before. Preventing a rush of water/mud/debris hitting the radiator directly certainly makes sense.

Interesting that it helps warm the engine, I think I can see how initial warming up time will be no different (before the FIRST opening of the thermostat) whether the blind is there or not but, once the thermostat opens the second time around and the engine heated water hits the radiator the blind would perhaps not allow the temperature to fall too far before the thermostat reopened again. Also as per Franks contribution the manual stating 'if the engine does not get up to temperature', this would point to it being useful in really cold weather but the UK?

I am not going to worry about the blind anymore, suffice to say this part of Spain is also experiencing winter, hence the reason I spent Christmas Day morning with friends having a coffee at a beachside café in a T shirt and shorts! :lol:

regards

Dave

2009/2010 got down to minus 8 where we live quite often. the last couple of winters bar the bore fest that was 2012/2013 i was grateful for my winter pack 80..

With really cold weather there is a cold draught over the engine block through the radiator. The lowered blind stops the cold draught allowing the block to heat up quicker.

2009/2010 got down to minus 8 where we live quite often. the last couple of winters bar the bore fest that was 2012/2013 i was grateful for my winter pack 80..

I agree the 80 is so well equipped in this area, I have experienced -4 a couple of years back but that was nearer Northern Spain but - 8, brrrrr not nice! :eusa-naughty: I could not go home this Christmas because of a health issue so stayed with friends and avoided the cold, god forbid I had to return and live in the UK.

regards

Dave

Well just switched on the SKY news and see SNOW lots of it, anyone with a 12 volt conversion that does NOT start I do not want to hear about it, we would get slaughtered by the 24 volt guys! :icon-biggrin:

regards

Dave

lol. had to put my winter tyres on about 8 last night just to get to the top of the track and on to the main road. blizzard conditions, three foot visability, three foot snow drifts. love it!

Mine started on a touch buried in snow and ice, but hardly Arctic condition. Unfortunately the Wife's Corolla didn't. Battery on it's way out I fear.

You ain't seen nothing yet. I went out one morning to start the tractor in 1964 and the radiator cap was sitting on a 3 inch high bar of ice. The whole block was frozen solid. The engine started instantly but then loads of rubber smoke as the water pump was frozen solid.

You ain't seen nothing yet. I went out one morning to start the tractor in 1964 and the radiator cap was sitting on a 3 inch high bar of ice. The whole block was frozen solid. The engine started instantly but then loads of rubber smoke as the water pump was frozen solid.

Had to thaw a few engines in the past as well, the problem was that customers thought antifreeze was just for winter, they could not get their head around corrosion inhibitors, raised boiling point and so forth, got badly scolded once when a hose came of and blasted my hand and wrist with steam, I did not cry though... .really brave. :violin:

regards

Dave

Last edited:
`Well everybody, that was certainly a good explanation, especially from you Dave 2000. My next question was going to be whether the battery's then lived in parallel after starting and you preempted that

All this talk of cold has put me right off, just got back from a bush bike trip up into the Nguru Forest Reserve north of Morogoro, Tanzania. We got rained on at 1600m up on the track and I swear the temp must have dropped to 22C...bloody freezing :wtf:

Many thanks and a happy festive season.:icon-biggrin:

Guys, not a hijack but a sort of side step. If you had a 12 set up and two batteries (well like a Collie for example) but wanted to run something that was 24volt, could you take a feed from both batteries (ie in series to give 24) to the device and earth to chassis? I get a bit misty here. Let's say it was a CB or something like that. I am guessing not, but curious as to where the volts would go. I suppose it would only be fed when switched on. Is there anyway to do this and say feed back to one or other earth terminal to prevent the current escaping?

Back