Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dual Battery setup?

I had a HZJ80 in Oz with the 1HZ engine. It was a single battery 12v system and starter but I added a second battery using all genuine parts (actually the cheapest option) and was a really tidy installation so could be mistaken for factory I suppose. The standard radiator even had the fixing points for the main cable between the batteries. As said before the main give away will be the 24v change over solenoid.

My HZJ 80 is 24V start, as with the UK HDJs, but there must be other variants.

I've just re-read these posts, Chas, I don't think it matters if there's a car in the snow pile when you park on the top of it! Silly place to leave a car if you ask me, just looking for trouble IMO. :lol:

Hi guys ... firstly let me say I am absolutely NEW to the forum and also to Landcruisers.

Always had a hankering for one though and felt pretty fortunate to get a decent 80 4.2TD Manual...unfortunately (for me) 2 weeks after I got it I had the 'click' of death..
..yes the highly expensive 'engine relay voltage converter' ... so with a potential bill around £700 I did a quick search on here for advice.
Reading all the replys to this thread convinces me to convert to the 12v ...for many reasons now albeit the money was a big enough one.

Could anyone please guide me as to WHICH starter to buy which will fit ... and also any other relavant mods I should make.

The Landcruiser is 1993 HDJ80 4.2td MANUAL

....would much appreciate the assistance to get me back on the road.

Many thanks
Charlie (barraboy)

Just get a used relay from Karl. Hell, I have a spare one in the garage you can make me an offer on if you are planning to spend £700!

But they very very rarely fail. Are you sure it's the change over relay? The click of death as you put it it not usually the change over relay; it's the starter relay on the starter motor itself. Or maybe a weak earth bond.

Welcome to the forum but do try to keep your thread to one rather than have a couple of threads running on the same thing. It makes it very confusing for us to respond to.

Back