Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ebay searches - "no reserve"

Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hi all,

Does any one have any routines that can find the items you are searching for in Ebay, however the search will only return the items that have no reserve.

Ie, I don't want to find things that have a reserve set on them.

I never bid on any thing that has a reserve.

Gra.

I just can't be assed bidding on a "reserve price item"

To me it tells me the guy doesn't really want to sell it.

So when I do my searches to buy some thing, I generally only look at the "no reserve" stuff to bid on.

Gra.

Graham said:
To me it tells me the guy doesn't really want to sell it. Gra.
That might not be true, I once sold an expensive watch on eBay and put it on a reserve because I didn't want to have too few bidders and someone getting it for peanuts. :naughty: I have also bought something expensive and got it for peanuts because the seller hadn't put a reserve :thumbup:

i dont see the point in setting a reserve! :roll:

why cant people just start the auction at the minimum they will take for the item, ie. there reserve price!

whats the point in people wasting there time putting bids in, only to find the reserve price hasnt been met! :thumbdown:

I agree with Chas....if I was selling something relatively expensive, I'd want to realise as much for it as possible. If that means putting a realistic BIN or a reserve price then so be it. It also provides a little insurance against not selling/marketing the item properly and therefore not attracting many potential buyers. Most of the bargains that you pick up these days on eBay are usually due to badly "marketed" items.

As long as I'm happy to pay the "winning" price - and I should, since I have control of that in the first place, I have no problem.

Obviously if the reserve price is higher than what I'm willing to pay.....then I walk away. That's like anything else isn't? That's not just limited to eBay.

EDIT: Just seen Ben's post; Yes, I think that a realistic start price can help but people are funny and it can put off some buyers... :roll:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
you have to realize that a lot of people are bottom feeders, they want a bargin no matter what the item is worth. If they feel they can score a highend watch for dirt cheap then they will be all over it but if the price hits a realistic selling price then they whine about the sale. :doh:

my feelings, in agreement with Ben, is that a realistic start price :thumbup: makes sense since it keeps the bottom feeders from wasting your time.
of course i am talking more towards those selling direct to the public and less towards Fleabay sales ...

<sorry if this post offends any bottom feeders :whistle: >

ben said:
i dont see the point in setting a reserve! :roll: why cant people just start the auction at the minimum they will take for the item, ie. there reserve price! :thumbdown:
Yes that could be done, but the higher you set your start price the higher your listing fee :whistle:

EDIT;

Plus a higher start price puts some people off bidding

I think Ebay should do away with the reserve price.
The seller should set the minimum price you want to sell at, and make that your starting price.
Easy, now we all know where we stand.

PITA, bidding on a few similar items, all perhaps with reserves not going to be met.

Gra.

agreed
Graham said:
I think Ebay should do away with the reserve price.
The seller should set the minimum price you want to sell at, and make that your starting price.
Easy, now we all know where we stand.
Gra.

Crushers said:
agreed
Graham said:
.....the seller should set the minimum price you want to sell at, and make that your starting price.....
Gra.

But then that defeats the USP of an eBay auction doesn't it?

In most cases the lowest value the seller is happy to accept isn't going to be that far removed from the price that the buyer is willing to pay. What would make eBay any different to AutoTrader or any other "classifieds" ?

Back