Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

EGR removal/Delete

CAT

Country Flag
ireland
There isn't too much info out there on completely getting rid of the EGR. It's been blanked off a good few years but now that I have it off I'm just thinking of getting rid.
I know there are a lot of vac lines interconnected everywhere on it, are there drawbacks to removing it completely?
IMG_20200417_201319.jpg

Will the mot man be happy if he clocks it's missing?
Thats a thought, it's classed as a commercial vehicle, I'm not sure if the visual inspection of an EGR is performed, they do an emissions test alright, but must look into it.

Yeah, if he's anything like mine, he's looking for problems, blanking off is one thing, which will not have any detrimental emission problems and is not easy to spot, but to remove a piece like the egr valve and blank off that + pipes is something else. Is yours a later 90 with the d4d engine, in which case it may not be as noticeable at first glance.. Just my thoughts, there are more knowledgeable people on here, who will probably have more idea.

I left mine in place because them pink fluffy world rules are only going to get worse and as is is using only a blanking plate they can't actually say if its working or not without taking things apart .

I left mine in place because them pink fluffy world rules are only going to get worse and as is is using only a blanking plate they can't actually say if its working or not without taking things apart .

Yep, just checked the regs and it needs to stay in if the engine was manufactured with it in the first place. Cheers lads:handgestures-thumb:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I removed mine completely and MOT man didn't spot anything for years. It also didn't seem to change the exhaust readings at all when compared to when I had it on.

Just wondering what are the benefits deleting the egr with blanking plates and does enyone kno what to do with the pipes that conect to the egr etc this is on a landcruiser colorado1997 kzj95 thanks

The EGR recirculates dirty air through your engine "to save the planet" , your crank breather does the same so you end up with oily carbon deposits clogging up your intake and throttle body causing poor fuel consumption and killing the planet , but that produces profit with the need for constant maintenance and repair so its ok :icon-rolleyes:

I just blanked mine with a plate and left the rest alone because its null and void when it can't work anyway and nobody can tell it has been blocked .

The EGR recirculates dirty air through your engine "to save the planet" , your crank breather does the same so you end up with oily carbon deposits clogging up your intake and throttle body causing poor fuel consumption and killing the planet , but that produces profit with the need for constant maintenance and repair so its ok :icon-rolleyes:

I just blanked mine with a plate and left the rest alone because its null and void when it can't work anyway and nobody can tell it has been blocked .
Thanks Shane is it easy to do

Mine was a bugger because the nuts holding the chrome pipe on where the plate needs to go were rounded and theres not a lot of room at the back of the engine anyway . One of these might help S33714 SIGNET Flare Nut Spanner 10 X 12mm for sale online | eBay - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] but in truth i can't remember if the nuts were 10 - 11 or 12mm ?

I eventually did mine by taking the whole exhaust manifold off but i've never heard of anyone else having to do that .

Having removed mine at about 150,000 miles, now at 250,000, the intake manifold has remained soot free. A little dust of oil that can be wiped clean with a finger is now all that appears. And if I was OCD about that oil mist, I'd install a better catch can.

I suppose that depends more on how clogged up your throttle body is but power is not really the aim it will just run better .

It'll just return your power to original spec depending how bad it is

Just thought I'd add to this incase anyone is mulling over an EGR delete. So I haven't deleted mine on my 1kz te. It has over 300,000km albeit rebuilt at 220,000. It does however have an oil catch can. I had to have my turbo rebuilt recently so I took the intercooler off to clean out the oil, and in the process clean the throttle body and intake manifold. To my surprise, the throttle body and intake manifold were spotless. This is despite living in Kenya where the fuel quality is poor and I live at 6000ft above sea level. I think this demonstrates how effective an oil catch can actually is. Noting the added benefits of having an EGR (engine get to temp faster, lower emissions, slightly better economy and lower chances of cracked cylinder head), for those who are sitting on the fence, this might help you make your decision.

For interest, I probably drain off about 200ml of thick black oil from the catch can every couple of months. I'm sure without the catch can that stuff must be a nightmare for the Turbo, intercooler and intake.

Sorry for the thread resurrection, I have just read this as I too am thinking to get a catch can and blank the EGR - can anybody recommend a catch can as there are so many and so many prices to choose from!

Thanks.

Back