Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Elecronic Diesel Tuning Devices

Ah i see :doh:

My turbosmart increased boost even on the lowest setting but only a little :think: can you get the spring out and trim it ?

I might. Don't know. Took the car for a test ride now. A mate suggested that I had some leak and I could hear turbo whistle. So tighten the couplings this afternoon and give a new try :)

The turbo whine will likely stay and it will get louder if you get a good oversized exhaust , its cool :icon-cool:

So I went over the connections today to ensure I had no leaks but it stills boost over 1 bar. So I opened the boost controller and this o ring is broken. Might be the problem.
019825db72cd49e9c2c9c62f4c0dbffb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed a new controller today. The engine then ran badly around 0,7 bar and I could the see gauge going up and down in pressure. Removed the controller and blanked of the hose to the wastegate and the same thing happen. What to do? :)

You can't blank the hose to your wastegate you will blow the turbo and kill your engine !

Can you post photos of how you have installed gauge and controller ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ok. I was told to try that out :) I removed the whole lot. I'll either get a quality manual boost controller or an electric one. I don't trust the one I'm using now

I went for the turbosmart T because its very simple but they are a well known name who also produce much more complicated equipment . My controller has an inlet and outlet and it won't work if its hooked up the wrong way .

There's only a short turbo actuator pipe on these to tap into so i put a longer pipe in its place allowing me to fit 2 hose T's into it .

Here's your turbo
845663305_272.jpg

That black vacuum pipe is now a foot long on my truck so i could bolt the controller to the inner wheel arch .

The gauge should be T'd in to the left of this pic closer to the turbo housing

5483.jpe

I took of the the original hose from the turbo to wastegate. I then fitted a new hose from wastegate. I had to use fuelhose because the vakuumhose I had was to small.

So from the turbo side I installed a tee with the turbo pressure gauge. I then installed the thee for the for the boost controller and the ran the hose into the wastegate.

79-740_xl_1.jpg

Last edited:
The gauge will go up and down , when max pressure is reached (as is set by your controller) the wastegate will open releasing pressure preventing you from destroying anything . I found a parked test all but useless had to rev past 3000rpm to make the gauge climb . As you now have boost below the 14psi fuel cut set it all up again and go for a drive

Assuming the gauge will show around 10psi and no more no matter what you do , turn the controller up just 1 notch and go for another drive , and repeat until your fuel cut interferes then turn it down a notch .

There are other factors to consider , a dirty air filter might not let sufficient air through , i replaced mine with a k&n . And more air generally needs more fuel as these trucks are set at the factory to run a very lean fuel air mix anyway .

The gauge will go up and down , when max pressure is reached (as is set by your controller) the wastegate will open releasing pressure preventing you from destroying anything .

Well, I know but it felt like the car was about to die/stop/lost momentum ( Don't really know the English word for it :) )

I don't know what else to suggest :think: a boost controller set at exactly the same boost as the factory actuator should still in most cases improve performance if only slightly as it prevents wastegate creep .

Is loss of power the term you are looking for ?

I found when my truck ran too much air and not enough fuel that the engine was working hard but not sending power to the wheels . Its a difficult thing to explain because it doesn't make sense .

Set the controller on zero . Then pull the cap on your fuel pump (there's a pic on this thread somewhere) and turn the adjustment screw a tiny bit - 1pm to 2pm and you should get a result .

Be warned turning the fuel up too much can result in a runaway engine and you don't want that !

A little more fuel should allow you to up the boost a bit , but too much boost and your power loss will return because your not getting enough fuel . There is no set formula just alter it a bit and go for a drive , too much exhaust smoke means too much fuel so either turn it down or increase boost .

It took me weeks to find a balance between the two that satisfied my want of power and healthy running .

More is not better when an equal balance of lesser is more productive .

:) Thanks for advises Shayne. I'll probably leave it for now. I need to prep the car for Russia, Kola in September so this project will get a lower priority on my to do list :)

Makes sense enjoy the trip and play with things later :thumbup:

Just an update, I need to source a 1kzte fuel pump and a 2lt series 1 or 2 pump housing or second hand pump.
Then I'll send these to the guys to knock together their super pump. 1250 New Zealand dollars for that.
After the install I need to setup a new throttle cable and also the setup has to be tuned accordingly.
The guy over there is going to help with me the adjustments, I need an o2 sensor (even temporary) to get the
very most from the modification and fine tune things.
So its going to be a bit of a while away before I get everything sorted, have to get back to my truck in Ireland also,
but I have pretty much decided that I am going to go with the manual pump. If it all doesn't go to plan I will still have
the electronic pump in the truck back home to fall back on. So this thread will roll on for another while I think!

Shayne, hoping you can help me out here.

I've just installed back my turbosmart boost controller. However, on the lowest boost setting (turned all the way down) I'm getting some sort of fuel cut at around 2400rpm when accelerating hard. However no ECU check engine light has come on.

I'm thinking with the wastegate washer mod + the recent port work I did to the turbo/head that it's boosting pretty much on the max level by itself. Unfortunately I haven't got a guage otherwise I would confirm that.

So... when you turn up your boost controller too much, how exactly does your truck react when it reaches the limit and beyond, any experience? Does the check engine light come on?

Back